Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the best of the big four in the South?
Dallas, Texas 18 15.25%
Houston, Texas 30 25.42%
Atlanta, Georgia 25 21.19%
Miami, Florida 45 38.14%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM

65 posts, read 62,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And why would that be a huge positive? Also, I have family in Miami and they consider themselves Southerners.
Why do you think it is a positive? Take a wild guess? Probably because I'm not a fan of southern culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC26 View Post
First, you are not a mod. Who are you to tell people what to post?

Second, Geography wise Miami is a southern city. However, culturally there are not any traces of southern culture, which is a huge positive.
Maybe a positive for you but not many I From Miami and the souther culture is there I lived there 18 years of my life this I know... I dont mind being called southern I take no offense too it at all.... By the way Im carribbean and I love the Southern Culture

Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
The CITY of Atlanta was dead in many parts. There was not anyone on the streets walking around.
Did you walk downtown Atlanta this weekend ?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Maybe a positive for but not many I From Miami and the souther culture is there I lived there 18 years of my life this I know... I dont mind being called southern I take no offense too it at all....
I guess we will have to agree to diagree then because in my opinion there was no traces of southern culture. ....... Accents, Food, culture, etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I guess we will have to agree to diagree then because in my opinion there was no traces of southern culture. ....... Accents, Food, culture, etc.

LOL you need to quit dude. I need to take you to carol city Overtown Liberty city etc better take you all over dade county and let you see and here the southern accents. and food there are many different foods there and Southern Soulfood is apart of that... Maybe you need to live there for about 5 years I think you will have a different opinion. Well you can disagree your talking to someone who has spent my entire life there vs you who only visits...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
No, it is true. There are not traces of southern culture in Miami.

And it is my opinion that it's a positive.
Don't try to pass your opinion off as a fact. My Mom born and raised in Miami and my family born and raised and still resides there considers themselves Southerners. They do the same things other areas throughout the South do. Eat mostly the same cuisine. Listen to pretty much the same music.

Quote:
Why do you think it is a positive? Take a wild guess? Probably because I'm not a fan of southern culture.
That doesn't really answer my question though. What do you know about Urban Southern culture? As in what do you know that exists in Houston, Atlanta, Atlanta, Charlotte, New Orleans, Miami, Memphis, etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
LOL you need to quit dude. I need to take you to carol city Overtown Liberty city etc better take you all over dade county and let you see and here the southern accents. and food there are many different foods there and Southern Soulfood is apart of that... Maybe you need to live there for about 5 years I think you will have a different opinion. Well you can disagree your talking to someone who has spent my entire life there vs you who only visits...
Exactly. Really there is no agree to disagree on this. My family lives in Carol City off of 37th Ave and if you switched them with people from Atlanta, you wouldn't tell the difference.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
No, it is true. There are not traces of southern culture in Miami.
Oh, no it is not.
I have a large amount a family in the Miami area and they are way more "stereotypically" southern than anyone around here.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Exactly. Really there is no agree to disagree on this. My family lives in Carol City off of 37th Ave and if you switched them with people from Atlanta, you wouldn't tell the difference.
Right and then let's not even mention broward county... You do have alot of people there that speak other languages. But that southern accent is there mine is mixed between islander and the southern.. Take 5 notiable hip hop artist Rick Ross, Trina, Plies, Trick daddy, Luke, that will let you know southern culture is there..

Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
How do you know where I live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City