Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC26 View Post
I find this thread flat out insulting to anyone from California.

If anyone compared where I was from to Texas, I would be steaming.
I don't think people in California would feel insulted when the state is compared to Texas. So many of the polls or discussions on this forum compare California with New York or Chicago even when there is more dissimilarities than things in common, in my opinion.

I think the big cities in Texas are politically more like California [liberal\ diverse] even though the state of Texas is Republican [that is changing more with every election].

Texas is a Southwest state [though some Texans prefer to be called Southern]. California is also a Southwest state though many prefer to refer to it as West Coast.

Both have relatively warm sunny climates & many opportunities for outdoor activities. Both states have major professional sports teams that tend to do quite well against other states\ cities in the U.S.

Both states have a very large Hispanic population & Spanish is commonly heard on the street than in other states [except areas like south Florida] since they both share a border with Mexico. Both states were part of Spain\ Mexico & have a lot of Spanish names for towns\ rivers\ mts. California probably has a larger Asian population than Texas.

Both state are heavily agriculture as well as oil producers. Both are very large states in land size and population.

Both Texas and California are large Catholic states though there are many more Baptists in Texas than California. Some consider Texas as part of the Bible Belt. In California there are many non-Christian religious [i.e. Buddhists].

I know on this forum many put down both Texas and California but I know that at least in California people don't seem to care what other people think of the state. It's not that Californians are snobs but more preoccupied with things out here than in the East or Midwest. I think Texans are also very proud of their state and some wouldn't mind leaving the U.S. [probably more than in California]. There really isn't any kind of Confederate sympathies in California but some Mexicans think California should be part of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 PM

4,418 posts, read 6,230,778 times
Texas and Cali have some similarities in the sense of the prominent spanish culture in each. Both are very diverse. West of I-35 definitely has a cali look to the landscape and the Texas prairies have a "central valley" feel to them.

Cali is not some liberal utopia, prop 8, carrie prejean-ish type people and harsh racial tension in areas are very common there. Even the famous In-N-Out burger there has bible versus on its cups. The alcohol laws in cali have restrictions like other "southern" states. The list goes on. Texas is not some conservative hell hole people like to make it out to be to make them feel better about paying an arm and a leg for where they live.

If Dallas was picked up and put in Cali as it is, it would be loved by all.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Texas and Cali have some similarities in the sense of the prominent spanish culture in each. Both are very diverse. West of I-35 definitely has a cali look to the landscape and the Texas prairies have a "central valley" feel to them.

Cali is not some liberal utopia, prop 8, carrie prejean-ish type people and harsh racial tension in areas are very common there. Even the famous In-N-Out burger there has bible versus on its cups. The alcohol laws in cali have restrictions like other "southern" states. The list goes on. Texas is not some conservative hell hole people like to make it out to be to make them feel better about paying an arm and a leg for where they live.

Agree, we will take the Dallas Mavericks but you can keep Mark Cuban

Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,376,486 times
Quote:
I don't know why California is so conservative. Not just Prop 8, but this "liberal" utopia still carries out executions (along the national average) in beautiful bayside San Quentin, Evangelical Christianity is hot in Orange County (home of TBN and their Megachurch clients) and the Antelope Valley (that resolution in Lancaster allowing prayers to a specific god even got the Muslims upset). Perhaps that's why In-N-Out has those pesky Bible verses (that only a few were supposed to notice due to the placement on the base rim). Palmdale is home to this:Experts Aim To Explain Spike In L.A. Hate Crimes : NPR

I noticed on Ellen Youtube clips that CVS carries liquor in the front store while Texas only allows liquor to be sold in specialty liquor shops, so California isn't as restrictive as Texas.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I don't know why California is so conservative. Not just Prop 8, but this "liberal" utopia still carries out executions (along the national average) in beautiful bayside San Quentin, Evangelical Christianity is hot in Orange County (home of TBN and their Megachurch clients) and the Antelope Valley (that resolution in Lancaster allowing prayers to a specific god even got the Muslims upset). Perhaps that's why In-N-Out has those pesky Bible verses (that only a few were supposed to notice due to the placement on the base rim). Palmdale is home to this:Experts Aim To Explain Spike In L.A. Hate Crimes : NPR

I noticed on Ellen Youtube clips that CVS carries liquor in the front store while Texas only allows liquor to be sold in specialty liquor shops, so California isn't as restrictive as Texas.
It is sort of funny because there are some interesting contradictions in California. It certainly is liberal and probably the most liberal state in the nation but also allows capital punishment [though I think something like one every 5 years or so - isn't Texas the highest?]. Remember California & now Maine are the only states that have allowed the voters to decide issues like gay marriage. Anti-gay marriage policies are the norm throughout the nation & even New York has never even instituted gay marriage [unlike Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont - do you know if New Jersey allows gay marriage?].

BTW, Orange county isn't the only evangelical hotbed. Temecula is Mormon-central in California. Plus the Catholic bishops have a lot of influence on people. But Orange county was the only region to vote for McCain except Bakersfield\ Central valley Drive up to Fresno some day and Rush Linbaugh is worshipped.

It's only a matter of time before Texas allows marijuana use like all the Western states.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,659,862 times
Quote:

No,we'll gladly have they're stadiums though!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:

This statement is VERY true. Especially about Texas WEST of I-35. Heck, ALOT of Austin and San Antonio's landscape resembles that of California.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 AM

203 posts, read 686,518 times
its just weird though when Texans think they are on the same level as Cali.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Houston, maybe. Nothing else.
Yep.

Just drive down Westheimer in Houston, and you would think you were in a flat LA.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
While I dont disagree with you, one thing we have to keep in mind is that because Houston is so large it has neighborhoods in its city that would be equal to Dallas suburbs. Bunker Hill for example is part of Houston. Yet, it is every bit as suburban as Plano.

Once you get outside 610 Houston turns extremely suburban (minus perhaps the Post Oak area). Whats inside 610 is pretty comparable to whats inside 635 for Dallas.

But on the whole, I do agree that Dallas is alot more multi-polar.
I disagree.

For one, Bunker Hill (and the Memorial Villages for that matter), are their own cities. They are small, but are still their own cities. There is a reason why you don't see the Houston city limits sign until near IKEA on I-10 (closer to 610).

And I think 610 is much more urban than 635. For one, 610 is much smaller than 635. Loop 12 would have been a MUCH better comparison. But even then, Houston's urban core, to me, is stronger, since the metro area revolves around it. In Dallas, it's different. You have Dallas, but then you have Fort Worth. On top of that, you have the gigantic suburbs (Arlington, Plano, Irving, Garland, and Richardson most notably), sucking the life out of Dallas. Taking away companies, etc.

And no, once you step outside of 610, it isn't completely suburban. Especially if you head out west on I-10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City