Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state/city is more appealing as a place to live?
Illinois/Chicago or its surburb 39 56.52%
Oregon/Portland or Salem surburb 30 43.48%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 AM

134 posts, read 634,034 times

Advertisements

This is a new thread just for fun. I would like to hear people's opinions since I am considering a move to one of them. I also included my opinions as well.

Illinois: Pros-4 seasons, not humid as the South, stable economy, world class city of Chicago nearby, and endless city amenties that Chicago has to offer! Also, it's near to other cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Twin Cities, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Detroit, which are within a day's drive.

Cons-Outside Chicagoland, the rest of Illinois is basically Corn Belt plus well-known corruption in both state and city of Chicago politics.

Oregon: Pros-Marine climate with no humidity, stunning scenery, and moderate cost of living for the West Coast.

Cons-Cynical economy unlike California and Seattle, WA plus many rainy days along with earthquake and volcano risks. I would rather deal with tornadoes. Universities are experiencing huge budget shortages. Like some people said, Portland pales in comparsion to Seattle and CA cities. Whatever Portland lacks, it may be closer to Seattle but it's still 4 hours drive.

If you are given two choices for relocation to live within an hour away from each of these two major cities for any reason (job transfer, graduate school, etc.), which one seems more appealing and attractive as a new place to live: Chicago, Illinois or Portland, Oregon and why?

Last edited by MitchArk87; 02-14-2010 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Don't forget that you can go North of Chicago as well as South. That puts you into Wisconsin and not just corn belt.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Attractive--Oregon is one of the most beautiful states as it is. So the attractiveness factor goes to Portland.

Urban Attractiveness-- Chicago

Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
I would much rather live in Oregon than Illinois, and I was originally born in IL!

1) I prefer the Pacific Northwest over most areas of the Midwest

2) Illinois is one of the most corrupt states in the nation and even gives my current state of New Jersey a run for its money in that regard

3) Illinois has much more serious crime issues not just in Chicago, but in the greater Cook County area and in portions of southern Illinois around Cairo

4) The only city/town I find interesting in Illinois other than Chicago is Galena

5) Illinois has some beautiful countryside, but it really can't compete with Oregon's scenery

6) Illinois is extremely leftist, and is one of America's biggest nanny states. Oregon is also liberal, but seems to be a bit more libertarian in some ways

7) Oregon's winters are much more tolerable

Add to that the fact that I would just prefer Portland as a city more than Chicago. Chicago reminds me too much of NYC which I can't stand.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,801 times
Illinois has nothing on Oregon if we are talking natural beauty. Illinois is practically bankrupt and the govts of Chicago and the state are still highly corrupt. Other negatives about Chicago include problems with their transit system, youth violence, brutal winters, and nasty congestion. Portland may not be as cosmo as Chicago. Then again Chicago, for a supposedly great city, can get downright boring unless you are into mindless consumerism and a subpar sports scene.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobug View Post
Illinois has nothing on Oregon if we are talking natural beauty. Illinois is practically bankrupt and the govts of Chicago and the state are still highly corrupt. Other negatives about Chicago include problems with their transit system, youth violence, brutal winters, and nasty congestion. Portland may not be as cosmo as Chicago. Then again Chicago, for a supposedly great city, can get downright boring unless you are into mindless consumerism and a subpar sports scene.

Care to elaborate? What can you NOT do in Chicago as far as urban entertainment that you can do in any other city in the country?

If your talking about natural beauty, than Oregon wins.

If your talking about things to do, than Chicago wins.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,801 times
What is there to elaborate on? Chicago has the same crap as any other city, just more of it. But more people and annoyances as well. There are no winners or losers. It's all personal preference. My opinion is that Chicago, despite being a huge city, has somewhat of a reputation as a bit on the boring side. It's not Vegas or L.A. ...it's Chicago. Let's get drunk and shop for brand name socks then go watch the Cubs lose. You know?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobug View Post
What is there to elaborate on? Chicago has the same crap as any other city, just more of it. But more people and annoyances as well. There are no winners or losers. It's all personal preference. My opinion is that Chicago, despite being a huge city, has somewhat of a reputation as a bit on the boring side. It's not Vegas or L.A. ...it's Chicago. Let's get drunk and shop for brand name socks then go watch the Cubs lose. You know?
I can't think of a city besides Milwaukee with more street fest. There's literally a block party every weekend in the summertime. The music scenes is one of the best 3 in the country. There's a beach that's easily accessible to most of the city (lots of people can bike or walk to it). It invented House music so there's some very cool dance spots in the city. It lacks some of the pretentious attitude that you can get on the coasts from people who just moved to the big city. It's a very dynamic and historic city with great museums, tours, and art galleries. There's great food (#2 food city in the country). Has all the major sports teams.

Also its nightlife isn't as fabricated as LA's and Vegas'. The nightlife here mainly serves one purpose, to entertain the locals.

Hope your having a good Valentines Day.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Even though a good majority of my family is in Chicago and the area and I love the city,right now I'd choose Portland.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
This is a new thread just for fun. I would like to hear people's opinions since I am considering a move to one of them. I also included my opinions as well.

Illinois: Pros-4 seasons, not humid as the South, stable economy, world class city of Chicago nearby, and endless city amenties that Chicago has to offer! Also, it's near to other cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Twin Cities, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Detroit, which are within a day's drive.

Cons-Outside Chicagoland, the rest of Illinois is basically Corn Belt plus well-known corruption in both state and city of Chicago politics.

Oregon: Pros-Marine climate with no humidity, stunning scenery, and moderate cost of living for the West Coast.

Cons-Cynical economy unlike California and Seattle, WA plus many rainy days along with earthquake and volcano risks. I would rather deal with tornadoes. Universities are experiencing huge budget shortages. Like some people said, Portland pales in comparsion to Seattle and CA cities. Whatever Portland lacks, it may be closer to Seattle but it's still 4 hours drive.

If you are given two choices for relocation to live within an hour away from each of these two major cities for any reason (job transfer, graduate school, etc.), which one seems more appealing and attractive as a new place to live: Chicago, Illinois or Portland, Oregon and why?
Threat of volcanoes? Errr......hmm.....I guess.....kinda...sorta...maybe? While I suppose there is always the possibility of Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Hood erupting, the chances of some cataclysmic Katrina-like volcanic holocaust consuming Portland in ash and fire are basically nil.

Besides, a stunning view of three mountains like this speaks for itself.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rPano_edit.jpg

We love our volcanoes and the "risks" that they carry. As far as earthquakes? Well.....don't spend your life worrying

I'm also not really sure what you mean when you say Portland "pales in comparison to Seattle and CA cities". Care to elaborate? If you are strictly talking about population size, then yes, Portland is smaller but it still has over 2 million in the metro. Seattle is only 3 hours away and people from Portland go there to visit, but there aren't any "city amenities" that you find in Seattle that are so much better than Portland that would drive you to go all the way up there as you suggest.

Those things aside, some other thoughts:

Portland pros:

- Fantastic natural beauty and world class outdoor activities at your doorstep
- Amazing AMAZING food scene far greater than what you would expect of other similarly-sized cities. Portland has the third largest wine region in the U.S. half an hour away, more microbreweries than any other U.S. city, amazing local coffee roasters (though not as good as Seattle's), Portland is at the forefront of the organic movement and is famous for its food carts, Portland is very much a city of neighborhoods and all of the urban neighborhoods are FULL of restaurants.
- No harsh winter and no humidity (though 9 months of grey and drizzle might drive you insane if you aren't used to it)
- Walkable, vibrant downtown (though of course it doesn't offer as much as Chicago's)
- Relatively affordable real estate, though probably not for much longer
- Great public transportation (again, not as comprehensive as Chicago)
- Amazing local music scene - top 10 in the country. It's pretty much geared towards rock/indie stuff

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/26/di...70400&emc=eta1

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 02-14-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City