Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most transient city in the US?
Charlotte NC 7 7.87%
Orlando FL 27 30.34%
Phoenix AZ 25 28.09%
Atlanta GA 19 21.35%
Ft Lauderdale FL 9 10.11%
Raleigh NC 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:16 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree, but still to me in all my travels and having lived in DC (18 months), there is no place more truly transient.

Unlike other areas with huge influxes of population DC will always be transient by nature. It is also the only area in the NE that has anywhere near the same population migration, job growth as the sunbelts/arid west coupled with the political dynamic, no place more trasient or internationally transient. To me this is hands down the winner though not in the poll
Agreed. Some people have taken the "no one is from DC" comment too literally, but -- after having lived there myself for a couple years -- it is pretty true. That's not necessarily an insult and has both both positive and negative aspects (not at all parochial and very open to outsiders vs. lack of a rooted, community feel).

As had been explained before, it just comes with the nature of the territory -- politics. Basically, it's an EXTREMELY career-oriented town that people will come to get internship credit, do a government stint, or work for an advocacy/lobbying group short-term and move on. Clearly there are exceptions to this, but -- proportionately speaking -- I've never been to an area that had such a low proportion of natives as DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:16 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
I agree, but still to me in all my travels and having lived in DC (18 months), there is no place more truly transient.

Unlike other areas with huge influxes of population DC will always be transient by nature. It is also the only area in the NE that has anywhere near the same population migration, job growth as the sunbelts/arid west coupled with the political dynamic, no place more trasient or internationally transient. To me this is hands down the winner though not in the poll
Well, yeah...but that's a bit different from "no one is from DC".

I'm not sure why the selection of cities were the only ones included in this poll...it seems like a strange grouping based on the topic.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Agreed. Some people have taken the "no one is from DC" comment too literally, but -- after having lived there myself for a couple years -- it is pretty true. That's not necessarily an insult and can be considered both good and bad (not parochial and open to outsiders vs. lack of rooted community feel)

As had been explained before, it just comes with the nature of the territory -- politics. Basically, it's an EXTREMELY career-oriented town that people will come to get internship credit, a government stint, or work for an advocacy/lobbying group short-term and move on. Clearly there are exceptions to this, but -- proportionately speaking -- I've never been to an area that had such a low proportion of natives as DC.
It wasn't taken as an insult...it was taken as a falsehood. Washington D.C. has been a city for well over 200 years. There are MANY, MANY people originally from there.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It wasn't taken as an insult...it was taken as a falsehood. Washington D.C. has been a city for well over 200 years. There are MANY, MANY people originally from there.
Exactly, plus DC has real jobs while Florida's cities have mainly low-wage transient jobs.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Again, saying DC is transient doesn't equate to people not being from there. Of course, natives of Washington, DC do, indeed, exist. However, and it doesn't take too long to figure it out when you live there, the vast majority of American people you will meet in Washington come from another part of the country -- the Northeast and immediate Southeast being the most common points of origin. The only exception would be the African-American communities that are MUCH more rooted in the city; but as far as the MUCH more diverse NW quadrant, it's a giant international melting pot.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:

Yes and MANY MANY more are not, and are in and out faster than anywhere

Sorry see Duderino beat me to punch and was far more eloquent (edit)

Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yes and MANY MANY more are not, and are in and out faster than anywhere
I guarantee you that more DC residents are natives than not...or have at least lived there long enough to be considered non-transient.

I realize that there are many, many DC residents from outside of DC...that is FAR from the statement "no one is from DC". Sorry.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
So true

Old 02-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Here's an interesting Pew study that actually confirms the relative transience of DC. It's considered a "high magnet" and "low sticky" state, meaning that it has a fairly high amount of non-natives living there currently (63%) and the lowest percentage among all states with regard to the proportion of natives who still currently live there (13%):

Who Moves? Who Stays Put? Where’s Home? - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here's an interesting Pew study that actually confirms the relative transience of DC. It's considered a "high magnet" and "low sticky" state, meaning that it has a fairly high amount of non-natives living there currently (63%) and the lowest percentage among all states with regard to the proportion of natives who still currently live there (13%):

Who Moves? Who Stays Put? Where’s Home? - Pew Social & Demographic Trends
Interesting link, thanks for posting it...but I'm pretty sure it's only for Washington D.C. city limits and not the MSA. Lots of cities are very transient when you consider only the city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City