Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most transient city in the US?
Charlotte NC 7 7.87%
Orlando FL 27 30.34%
Phoenix AZ 25 28.09%
Atlanta GA 19 21.35%
Ft Lauderdale FL 9 10.11%
Raleigh NC 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

The people who live in Orlando already know how transient it is. It's nice to get a feel from those who are from Orlando, used to live in Orlando or other parts of FL, etc. It's also interesting out of all the cities, whether all of us are from FL or not, that Orlando is clearly the most transient out of the group. Why isnt Charlotte winning? Or Atlanta? Not everyone voting is from those areas either (obviously). But still interesting that ORL is considered the most transient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
But how do they know this? Are there official facts backing this up (I don't think this poll would count). I could have easily voted for Raleigh, since I live and work in this area...but I don't really know for a fact because I only come in contact with pretty much the same people every day through friends, family or work. Anyone else I do come in contact with are strangers and I don't go around polling them on their moving habits, so really...unless there is some official data out there, who really knows?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The people who live in Orlando already know how transient it is. It's nice to get a feel from those who are from Orlando, used to live in Orlando or other parts of FL, etc. It's also interesting out of all the cities, whether all of us are from FL or not, that Orlando is clearly the most transient out of the group. Why isnt Charlotte winning? Or Atlanta? Not everyone voting is from those areas either (obviously). But still interesting that ORL is considered the most transient.
I would REALLY take a city-data poll to heart...it is ultra-scientific and certainly reflects society as a whole.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Anyone that sais Orlando is not highly transient is fooling themselves. The lack of quality jobs and low wages alone should be an indication of the highly transient nature of that city.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I feel that Orlando is pretty transient. I feel like there are some good cities that could be listed up there in the poll that are as well. Most of the cities with high foreclosure rates have a degree of transiency. Florida is very transient in general.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Florida is a destination state for many yet is high on the list of states that retain their native born.

Alaska, Nevada and D.C. are high on the list of destination states but also very low on retaining native born population.

This information alone should give a good indication that the most transient cities are going to be in Alaska, Nevada or D.C.

Just because a city grows or you yourself moved from a city does not make it the most transient.

Those saying the people are fooling themselves if they don't think Orlando is transient really need to look at data instead of making a determination based on living in 2 or 3 cities. OK, you lived there and saw a few neighbors move in or out, have you lived in Vegas or Anchorage?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Florida is a destination state for many yet is high on the list of states that retain their native born.

Alaska, Nevada and D.C. are high on the list of destination states but also very low on retaining native born population.

This information alone should give a good indication that the most transient cities are going to be in Alaska, Nevada or D.C.

Just because a city grows or you yourself moved from a city does not make it the most transient.

Those saying the people are fooling themselves if they don't think Orlando is transient really need to look at data instead of making a determination based on living in 2 or 3 cities. OK, you lived there and saw a few neighbors move in or out, have you lived in Vegas or Anchorage?
"Like the state's transient population, Florida's political leaders are known as much for moving on as they are for moving up."

Florida Lacks Clout in Congress | | TheLedger.com

Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
FedStats: MapStats

An interesting site. You can look up cities and see the city growth and %age of people living in the same house from 1995-2000. Not exactly up to date, but it would give a decent basis. (As with all stats, of course, it's misleading and can be interpreted a million ways. If you move across the street, you're no longer included in the second statistic.

I would imagine a combination of the two stats would give you a decent view though. Low population growth means either no one's moving, or people are moving in and out at fairly equal numbers. High population growth means lots of people coming in. The 1995-2000 data can be included in figuring out how many people are moving (though again, within the city moves would disqualify someone from that stat)

Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
"Like the state's transient population, Florida's political leaders are known as much for moving on as they are for moving up."

Florida Lacks Clout in Congress | | TheLedger.com
Sorry but journalists are hardly the best source of information so a quote from a journalists article is pretty much useless.

As I said, look at the data.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Sorry but journalists are hardly the best source of information so a quote from a journalists article is pretty much useless.

As I said, look at the data.
...or just trust the accuracy of the poll in this thread - I'm sure it's on the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City