U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM

39 posts, read 146,748 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I have a pretty odd set of features I'm looking to find in the city I move to:

1. MLB team locally (within 10-20 miles)
2. VERY inexpensive (rent, utilites, etc.)
3. Good public transportation.

I don't care about culture, music, education, etc.

I'm a 25 yr old male, and nutty about major league baseball. I also stay home a lot during my free time -- i play video games, use the internet, etc. and don't want to the stress/pressure of high rent, bills, car expenses, etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 AM

8,012 posts, read 19,971,328 times
St.Louis- Might be the best baseball town

Milwaukee- Great baseball town drawing 3M+. Beer and Baseball and festivals what more do you want.

Twin Cities- New baseball stadium on the way and always a competitive team.

Kansas City- Great city but a poor baseball team.

Pittsburgh- Great architecture, great stadium but poor team.

Cleveland- Nice town, decent baseball team but their future doesn't look the best.

Cincy- Cheap and you can always find a seat at Great American Ballpark b/c no one goes to the games but it is a nice stadium.

I recommend St.Louis, Milwaukee or the Twin Cities in that order.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks! Which one of the three do you think comes packaged with the lowest cost of living?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 AM

1,367 posts, read 2,959,623 times
Cost of living shows Kansas City, Cleveland, Cincinnati and St Louis are all pretty close. I agree with MC as STL being my top choice among those cities for your list of criteria.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Cool...thanks for the feedback. What do you think about Detroit?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,895,747 times
St. Louis has very low cost of living, as well as the fact that baseball is like a religion there. The Blues are also very popular. The Rams had decent attendance last year considering. The Cardinals are expected to be successful for years to come, though.

The public transportation is pretty good, but mostly in the city I think. If you get out to the Missouri suburbs, there isn't much in the way of public transportation (St. Louis County has voted it down a few times I think). But St. Louis Metro Link and the bus system covers much of the city I think. If you're going to travel much outside of the city, you'll need a car. The city (62 sq. mi.) is pretty small. The city is only about 15% (365k) of the Metro population of 2.8 million.

Here's a thread about the best baseball towns.
//www.city-data.com/forum/baseb...all-towns.html

Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM

1,367 posts, read 2,959,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveabucket View Post
Cool...thanks for the feedback. What do you think about Detroit?
Not much. Low cost of living, yes. Other than that, very little going for this city these days. I'd pick Cleveland much sooner than Detroit. Plus, I love the Indians. Stick with STL.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,241,195 times
Saint Louis is cheap, sport town with probably the most rabid baseball fans in the league.

You will have to live at least within the inner ring suburbs to take advantage of the transit system

Old 02-24-2010, 10:47 AM

3,897 posts, read 8,901,387 times
St. Louis or Milwaukee

Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,985,647 times
Given the OP's desire for good public transportation, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chicago. Reasonable rents can be found there, and Chicago has one of the better public transport networks in the country. Good baseball? Now that's another story, except maybe on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or