Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,930 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 year old male looking to relocate out of Chicago. I'm sick of the cold winters and the snow. I'm into sports (cubs/bears fan), being active and love the beach. Not sure how I feel about hurricanes or earthquakes, but I guess we do get tornados out here from time to time. I know that I want to move south, but too many choices to really decide. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Oh yeah.... I've been considering Mesa, AZ area and So Cal, but I'm sure there is much more out there... I want sun, water, and something more than flat land. Looking for a nightlife, but it doesn't have to be like Vegas every night of the week. Hopefully this gives a feel for what I am and looking for

Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnow16 View Post
Oh yeah.... I've been considering Mesa, AZ area and So Cal, but I'm sure there is much more out there... I want sun, water, and something more than flat land. Looking for a nightlife, but it doesn't have to be like Vegas every night of the week. Hopefully this gives a feel for what I am and looking for
I find it odd that you are targeting a specific suburb of Phoenix. Is there a reason for that?

No big bodies of water near Phoenix.

My answer (since your posts are very vague): anywhere it doesn't get cold or snow. Southern CA along the coast (if you can afford it) or Florida (ditto).

Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM

David,

I wrote my first entry and decided to scrap it because it sounded like a personal ad...I picked Mesa area, because I like the suburbs of Phoenix (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Tempe etc.), don't know if I like the actual city...I like Florida, but the whole alligator thing freaks me out, I would like to swim in a lake and not have to worry about attack, and for that matter sharks freak me out, but I l don't surf or swim too far into the ocean...

I'm a pretty typical 27 year old...I like the bar scene, but as I mentioned before it doesn't have to be 24/7, but it has to exist...housing in the chicago suburbs is insane, I thought the market hit hard everywhere, but I really don't see it going down much here...when I look at real estate, AZ seems to be pretty affordable (in the 225k-250k range)... I've always had the itch to move down south in the sun, but I haven't experienced everything and was looking for some ideas...I played baseball in AZ in college (spring break) and really liked the area, and have also been to San Diego and loved that (but housing seems pretty expensive)...I was recently in San Francisco and liked the suburbs and was iffy about the city itself (not sure how I feel about the counter culture that still exists)...I'm finishing my MBA, and I know that isn't a guarantee for a job, but I feel pretty comfortable with finding a job where ever I look (optimistic for this crappy economy..i know) I could get even more specific, but I will leave it at this for now... I was wondering if anyone knew anything about cities north of LA that are nice and not insanely expensive (if that is possible) or some other areas that would fit my explanation...the only other request I could have is close to an airport (I wouldn't know what to do without hearing the planes that fly over to o'hare everyday!!) hope this helps and would appreciate any comments or ideas

Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
San Diego would work but as you know it's pricey, especially to buy a home in a good neighborhood. What kind of budget do you have? You can rent near the beach for around $1K a month, nothing special but decent. I've seen some 1 br condos for under $220K about a mile inland from the beach in my area.

The weather here allows you to be active year round outside. It pretty much stays between 60-80 degrees year round for daytime highs, near the coast at least.

As for earthquakes, that is more a LA and SF problem. SD doesn't get large earthquakes b/c it's farther from the San Andreas Fault.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
David,

I wrote my first entry and decided to scrap it because it sounded like a personal ad...I picked Mesa area, because I like the suburbs of Phoenix (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Tempe etc.), don't know if I like the actual city...I like Florida, but the whole alligator thing freaks me out, I would like to swim in a lake and not have to worry about attack, and for that matter sharks freak me out, but I l don't surf or swim too far into the ocean...
I don't know Phoenix too well, but you probably shouldn't write off the entire city, many western cities have parts that are more suburban in nature (if that makes you feel more comfortable) and aren't vast swaths of urbanity.

I don't know FL well either, so I can't help you with the gators (though I don't think they eat people too much). When I lived in CA, I swam in the ocean, and I was actually more worried about jellyfish, not sharks.

Quote:
I'm a pretty typical 27 year old...I like the bar scene, but as I mentioned before it doesn't have to be 24/7, but it has to exist...housing in the chicago suburbs is insane, I thought the market hit hard everywhere, but I really don't see it going down much here...when I look at real estate, AZ seems to be pretty affordable (in the 225k-250k range)... I've always had the itch to move down south in the sun, but I haven't experienced everything and was looking for some ideas...I played baseball in AZ in college (spring break) and really liked the area, and have also been to San Diego and loved that (but housing seems pretty expensive)...I was recently in San Francisco and liked the suburbs and was iffy about the city itself (not sure how I feel about the counter culture that still exists)...I'm finishing my MBA, and I know that isn't a guarantee for a job, but I feel pretty comfortable with finding a job where ever I look (optimistic for this crappy economy..i know) I could get even more specific, but I will leave it at this for now... I was wondering if anyone knew anything about cities north of LA that are nice and not insanely expensive (if that is possible) or some other areas that would fit my explanation...the only other request I could have is close to an airport (I wouldn't know what to do without hearing the planes that fly over to o'hare everyday!!) hope this helps and would appreciate any comments or ideas
You could look at places like Bakersfield and Fresno, though not everybody considers them "nice", they are affordable and have small airports.

How about Texas?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM

93,410 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
I am a 27 year old male looking to relocate out of Chicago. I'm sick of the cold winters and the snow. I'm into sports (cubs/bears fan), being active and love the beach. Not sure how I feel about hurricanes or earthquakes, but I guess we do get tornados out here from time to time. I know that I want to move south, but too many choices to really decide. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts. Thanks
Austin TX, San Antonio TX, Nashville TN, Charlotte NC....?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
San Diego or Los Angeles

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Austin TX, San Antonio TX, Nashville TN, Charlotte NC....?
Nashville and Charlotte are only slightly warmer in the winter than Chicago, at least in terms for someone who hates snow and cold. Now Austin and San Antonio are mild in winter (January ave high of 60 F)

Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM

15 posts, read 42,234 times
I have been looking for another move and currently in phoenix and originally from houston. Have lived here off and on for 6 years as well as few other places. Have been stuck on either san diego or denver, but choosing denver because san diego is just too pricey. I thought of other cities in la area, but feel would be too congested and take too much time to figure out where i wanna be. I like vegas, but feel the 24 hour life would get old quick. I have lived in all these cities before except la area. And choosing to go back to denver its affordable, nice scenary, great nightlife and pretty diverse and you may not have the beach and ocean, but you have the snow capped rockies and great singles scene out there. If you consider texas i would go to austin. Im a houston native and never planning to move back there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City