Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times

Advertisements

I got this idea from a recent poster on a recent thread.....hope it hasn't been done recently!

So the idea here is to nominate 5 cities for each:

1. Are better areas to visit than to live in
2. Are better areas to live in than to visit

This isn't meant as a means to trash or boost one city or another, it's more of a perspective on fun vs. livability and the idea is to expose cities that surprise others' who have not been there.

Here's my preliminary stab at it.

Better to Visit:
1. Las Vegas
2. New Orleans
3. San Diego
4. New York
5. Miami

Better to Live in:
1. Indianapolis
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul
3. Pittsburgh
4. Sacramento
5. Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Do these cities have to be big?

My take...

Better to visit: Miami, Orlando, NYC, Las Vegas, New Orleans
Better to live: Austin, Charlotte, Jacksonville FL, Raleigh NC, Dallas

Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Not necessarily, but over 1M may be easier to use for comparison sakes. Also, they don't all need to be in the Sun Belt

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Better to visit:
1 New York City
2 Los Angeles
3 Orlando
4 Panama City Beach
5 Saint Louis

Better to live:
1 Raleigh
2 Houston
3 Savannah
4 Charleston, S.C.
5 Boston

Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Quickly from the top of my head:

Better to live: Dallas
Better to visit: New Orleans

Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
I would never say L.A. is better to visit. In fact, I think L.A. is a pretty crappy place to visit unless you have a local show you around. The city has a lot to offer, but most people who visit only see Hollywood Blvd and Disneyland - as if that gives them a real impression of the city...LOL

Living here is awesome though

Portland is another place to live more than visit...when people ask me where to visit in the northwest I send them to Seattle or Vancouver, but I'd much rather live in Portland.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Assuming one has a good job to comfortably afford the cost of living, I think San Diego is better place to live than visit. Before I moved to SD I was never that impressed with it like I was Honolulu, always though it was nice but always thought Honolulu was a much better beach city to visit than SD. I think Miami is probably a better place to visit too. I may be a bit biased b/c I am so used to CA's climate and scenery though.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 AM

Or, because Miami could be considered relatively uninhabitable by many "traditional families" that seek good schools, low crime and cohesive neighborhoods with children present....

This is my sad attempt at reviving my thread I created while tipsy.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I would never say L.A. is better to visit. In fact, I think L.A. is a pretty crappy place to visit unless you have a local show you around. The city has a lot to offer, but most people who visit only see Hollywood Blvd and Disneyland - as if that gives them a real impression of the city...LOL

Living here is awesome though
I was about to post the same thing. Like you said, LA is a terrible place to visit unless you have a local show you around. When I lived in LA and would have out of town visitors, they always said that they would have never seen half the things I had shown them if they had come on their own. It actually makes me shudder to think about how many tourists' biggest impression of LA's food scene is uWink in Hollywood/Highland.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 AM

243 posts, read 812,623 times
Best cities to Live: Kapolei (Oahu), Cobble Hill (Brooklyn), Seattle, Hillsboro (Portland area), and Phoenix
Best cities to Visit: Albuquerque, Sacramento, Miami, Bristol (TN or VA), and Sitka (AK)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City