Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On Long Island, what about Wheatley Heights and Lakeview?
Many of the black neighborhoods (technically villages & hamlets) on Long Island are not generally considered as nice. Roosevelt for instance, has argurably the worst school district on Long Island. Even so, there are still alot of hard working middle class people living there.

Some are better than others of course. For instance, not to hurt anyone in Roosevelt feelings, but I would rather live in nearby Uniondale than in Roosevelt.

WHEATLEY HEIGHTS

Wheatley Heights is in a different boat because it is actually in a good school district. The community is a part of Wyandanch, a mostly black hamlet here in my own Town of Babylon. However to their great fortune, Wheatley Heights is not part of the Wyandanch school district but part of the well regarded Half Hollow Hills school district.

In other words, Wheatley Heights is a pretty decent area for most people. It is even somewhat intergrated with about 50% black and 40% white. I actually like the area (especially for someone who works in nearby Melville) but of course I would rather live in adjacent Dix Hills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I can name a few in NJ
Montclair (07042), Teaneck, Hackensack, Englewood, Roselle (11% Jamaican/Haitian), Union.
I would say Maplewood, but the black section is closely tied to Irvington (which is among the worst cities for African Americans)

Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think black neighborhoods don't exist anymore, for the most part. Black folks live all over the city like all the other races\ ethnic groups. Compton is hispanic.
There is an upscale neighborhood that may still be majority black: Baldwin Hills\ Ladera Hts.
That seems to be the case in California, but even then, many Black folks are leaving the state.

In other parts of the country, there are diverse communities, but the proportion many vary in terms of ethnic/racial groups.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 AM

342 posts, read 912,305 times
Chicago Suburbs win hands down!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Cascade Heights in Atlanta is extremely wealthy. But a lot now live in the filthy rich areas of Alpharetta and Johns Creek in north Fulton. This is mega money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Heights

Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
Mitchellville, MD
//www.city-data.com/city/Mitche...-Maryland.html

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
This neighborhood's southern end would work, as it is around 65% Black: 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki

19th Ward Community Association

Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
harlem - oh....wait

Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Despite their often negative connotation, I find many black neighborhoods to be rich with history and culture, and some have gentrified.

My criteria for a good African-american neighborhood:

-Average or less crime
-Good public service facilities
-A good middle-class population
-Lots of fine culture/entertainment (music scene, literature, cultural attractions, etc.)
-Good transportation access
-Lively shopping/dining
-Good recreational facilities
-At least 50% of the neighborhood is black
-A population of at least 5,000

It would be hard to find a community that fits all of the criteria since most of the successful Black areas throughout the USA are suburban/low-density in nature with not too many convenient entertainment options and limited transportation options.

I would say look into the inner-beltway of Prince Georges County, MD. Inner-Beltway is not as affluent as the upper middle class Outer-Beltway of Prince Georges County but I know for a fact that it still has a strong middle class. Maybe a user from the DMV can fill you in on the areas to avoid around there since i'm not 100% sure and I don't want to give misleading information. I know that the inner-beltway fulfills most of your criteria though.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 02-07-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,073 times
No need to look further than D.C. or Atlanta. Both are in the black belt region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City