Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times

Advertisements

This is a study done through an arm of the City of London Corporation's Global Financial Centres Index and conducted by Z/Yen.

It is a "ranking of the competitiveness of finanical centers." It takes into account over 15 evaluations from local economy and local buisness pratices, market access and access to capital to workforce, education, taxations rates and quality of life. (wikipedia.org)

But I figured I'd focus just on the North American cities that make the list.
I'll list them according to GFCI rank released this month:
New York #1
Chicago #6
Toronto #12
Boston #14
San Francisco #16
Washinton DC #17
Vancouver #23
Montreal #26

http://www.zyen.com/PDF/GFC%207.pdf

I found it interesting, and somewhat surprised, not shocking just surprised, pleasantly so. I do tend to agree with the list, given what I know about these cities. Please bare in mind it takes into accont far more than gross metro product. It uses many indices to more accurately evaluate city economies.

So it's up for discussion, you can agree, disagree, make a case for a better city in your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
San Francisco has one of the big four NA banks (which recently got quite a bit bigger with the acquisition of Wachovia), Charles Schwaab, a host of smaller entities, and some of the largest private equity firms in the world. I'm not too sure about Boston being higher by a point. Also, well over Paris? Really?

I'm sure this all works out in their point systems, but it's a pretty curious thing to be ranking "competitiveness of financial centers."

Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
San Francisco has one of the big four NA banks (which recently got quite a bit bigger with the acquisition of Wachovia), Charles Schwaab, a host of smaller entities, and some of the largest private equity firms in the world. I'm not too sure about Boston being higher by a point. Also, well over Paris? Really?

I'm sure this all works out in their point systems, but it's a pretty curious thing to be ranking "competitiveness of financial centers."
That's what surprised me, but I've been told and reassured that Boston is actually up there with London and New York in terms of venture capital and investment firms. Those two market ideas were bascially pioneered there in the 1970's through Fidelity, Inc and Mitt Romney's Bain Capital. I had no idea...

Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
That's what surprised me, but I've been told and reassured that Boston is actually up there with London and New York in terms of venture capital and investment firms. Those two market ideas were bascially pioneered there in the 1970's through Fidelity, Inc and Mitt Romney's Bain Capital. I had no idea...
Bay area KILLS every other U.S. city in terms of venture capital.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
ehh, 'cept Boston is 2nd to New York.

Boston Private Equity

This is probably why Boston is so high on the list.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:04 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,732 times
From that list, according to the report, only New York, Chicago & Toronto are viewed as 3 of the 8 global leaders in the financial world (others include London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Zurich & Frankfurt).

Boston, DC & San Francisco also have a strong financial center, and IMHO..Boston & S.F seem more competitive than D.C. At the moment, I think SF is still ahead of DC & Boston because it's more globally connected.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
ehh, 'cept Boston is 2nd to New York.

Boston Private Equity

This is probably why Boston is so high on the list.
Top Cities for Venture Capital in Q2 ‘09 - New York and Seattle | The ChubbyBrain Blog

Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 AM

106 posts, read 288,602 times
No surprise,

NYC is the Financial Capital of the World.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
VC is just one branch of finance. Boston is a big player there (as is SF). Boston is also big in corporate banking and mutual funds. But as with most Bston/SF comparisons, this list shows them neck and neck, and there can't be too much difference between 14 and 16.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 AM

106 posts, read 288,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
VC is just one branch of finance. Boston is a big player there (as is SF). Boston is also big in corporate banking and mutual funds. But as with most Bston/SF comparisons, this list shows them neck and neck, and there can't be too much difference between 14 and 16.
Exactly.

And one of many branches of finance.

Last edited by CL63; 03-19-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City