Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metropolitan area do you prefer
Chicago Metropoltan Area 69 65.71%
Philadelphia Metropolitan Area 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,882,821 times

Advertisements

They're not really all that similar.

Chicagoland, to me one of the best implementations of all transportation modes in the area. Whether you're a biker, walker, driver, boat taker, jay walker, skipper, runner, sprinter, drag racer, what ever it is, it's simple and ease of use in Chicago.

Although it comes with it's setbacks, Chicago still hasn't matured into a complete walkers town, the Loop after 7 PM can be deserted for foot traffic because the traffic goes north of the Chicago River, particularly off Michigan Avenue and side streets from it but I like that it has a bit of everything all thrown in.

The large surface lots to the south and west of the Loop need to go though, they're not a major issue but Chicago hasn't built itself to it's potential yet and it still rocks.

As for suburbs, Winnetka has to be one of the nicest suburbs around, although small, it's pretty gorgeous. Glencoe, along with a host of other suburbs not being far behind. North Shore suburbs are just incredibly stacked in everything required. I like the entirety of Chicagoland with no particular bias to any direction, will always feel like home.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-07-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I was merely responding to a previous poster who was bragging about Chicagos suburbs singularly being the 4th largest metro in the country. I candidly pointed out that Chciagos suburbs span 100 miles whereas thru an egregious glitch in the system Philadlephias metro ends 15 miles due east of Philly.
Chicago's urban area is significantly larger than Philadelphia's using either US or world standards:

Chicago-9.1 million(2647 square miles)
Philadelphia-5.5 million(1981 square miles)

List of urban areas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicago-8.6 million(2,442 square miles)
Philadelphia 5.5 million (1981) square miles)

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM

82 posts, read 127,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Which city do you think has the best Metropolitan area Chicago or Philly? Just curious on what your opinions are.
I'd say Chicago has the best metropolitan area.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:43 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
I didn't think I would ever see any new posts on here as this is also the first thread I ever created on this site. A lot has happen since I first created this thread with things like the city of Philadelphia officially growing in population again, the Philly area expanding to the Jersey Shore, Central Delaware, etc. I'm sure if the poll was done all over again, the gap wouldn't be as wide.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,340,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I didn't think I would ever see any new posts on here as this is also the first thread I ever created on this site. A lot has happen since I first created this thread with things like the city of Philadelphia officially growing in population again, the Philly area expanding to the Jersey Shore, Central Delaware, etc. I'm sure if the poll was done all over again, the gap wouldn't be as wide.
It's only been a few years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City