Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
 
8 posts, read 12,957 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Not in my opinion. I think Houston and Dallas both feel larger than their metro populations, especially Houston. Atlanta feels smaller, but that's probably because of how it is built (hidden behind the trees). You see more "city" in Houston.
I don't know Philly does feel larger than 6.5 I can't say Dallas or
Houston feel larger than there metro. Philly metro feels like it's apart of the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There is no way the Philadelphia CSA is only 6.5 million.
Absolutely preposterous. Trenton is 15 miles from the border of Philadephia, You could throw a rock across the Delaware River from Trenton and it would land in Morrisville Bucks County yet Trenton is included in NYC CSA. Trenton is 65 miles from NYC and has no historical affiliation with the NY region whatsoever.


The CSA is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Fresno
254 posts, read 690,447 times
Reputation: 164
The 11 county Bay Area, according to these latest census estimates, grew by about 98,000 people. Pretty impressive! Los Angeles also had impressive growth as well. So much for California losing population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
 
Location: ATL via ROC
1,199 posts, read 2,291,057 times
Reputation: 2493
No city population estimates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Philly has the geographic misfortune to be located in an area where there are a lot of adjacent areas that are considered metros/MSA's right next to each other. The US Census goes by commuting patterns, so while many don't like the idea of say, Mercer County being being a part of NYC's metro, the commuting patterns indicate why they are. I don't think it's the most accurate way to measure, but oh well.
Mercer Co isnt about commuting patterns its about politics. Mercer especially Trentons urbanized area-which makes up 80% of Mercers population- has always been affiliated with the Philadlephia metro. In 2000 Mercer County officials switched allegiances to NYC to benefit from NYC higher cost of living benefits to federal + state employees.

And no one is ever going to convince me that Manchester Boston Providence which span 120 miles in length is all one CSA but Philadlephia-Allentown, Philadlephia-AC,Philadelphia-Dover, Philadlephia-lancaster which are all approx 50 miles from Philly have nothing to do with Phillys.

The discrepancy is glaring. SJ which is seperated by 45 miles of water from SF is part of SF CMSA but Reading,Allentown,Trenton,lancaster which are seperated by 45 miles of multiple highways are not part of Phillys CMSA. Unbelievable.

Mercer-Hunterdon-Poconos being part of NYC cmsa is nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Mercer Co isnt about commuting patterns its about politics. Mercer especially Trentons urbanized area-which makes up 80% of Mercers population- has always been affiliated with the Philadlephia metro. In 2000 Mercer County officials switched allegiances to NYC to benefit from NYC higher cost of living benefits to federal + state employees.

And no one is ever going to convince me that Manchester Boston Providence which span 120 miles in length is all one CSA but Philadlephia-Allentown, Philadlephia-AC,Philadelphia-Dover, Philadlephia-lancaster which are all approx 50 miles from Philly have nothing to do with Phillys.

The discrepancy is glaring. SJ which is seperated by 45 miles of water from SF is part of SF CMSA but Reading,Allentown,Trenton,lancaster which are seperated by 45 miles of multiple highways are not part of Phillys CMSA. Unbelievable.

Mercer-Hunterdon-Poconos being part of NYC cmsa is nonsense.
I guess if you keep telling yourself that, it'll become true. Do you have any sources that back this claim?

But anyhow, Mercer County's situation is complicated because Trenton is its own employment center (being the state capital), and the northern part of the County, (where Princeton is located) has had quite a few commuters who have moved there to benefit from a lower cost of living compared to NYC. Not denying that it has its share of Philadelphia commuters (a SEPTA line runs up to Trenton after all), but if you had some links indicating the commuting patterns between Mercer County and Philly/NYC, it would really help your argument. Otherwise, you're coming off quite whiny and it's annoying. If you want to do something constructive, complain about it to the Census bureau instead of ******ing about it on a message board.

Also, SF and San Jose are NOT separated by water. It's wall-to-wall suburbs in between the two along US-101 and El Camino Real in San Mateo County. At least get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I guess DFW and min/St. Paul aren't the only twin cities in the nation. Cities that have absolutely nothing to do with other cities can combine into one city. Poor Philly
I gave Raleigh-Durham and the Bay Area as examples of how an MSA is defined by the Bureau is flawed at best. Heck, I even have an issue with DC and Baltimore being considered a CSA as well, as it's quite obvious the cities are separate in many ways (Media, economy, etc). There is quite a bit of development between the two, but it's nothing compared to how developed the Mid-Cities are between Dallas and Fort Worth or even the suburbs along the Peninsula between San Francisco and San Jose. A lot of DC'ers have been heading up to B-more due to it having way cheaper housing though.

Poor Philly indeed. Not only are they overshadowed by NYC and DC (and Boston to an extent) on the East Coast, but it's hemmed in by either larger metro areas (NYC) or smaller towns that operate somewhat autonomously from Philly. But it seems that Philadelphians have the advantage of having closer-in commutes compared to other East Coast metros. I don't see anything wrong with that. I know there is probably some commuting between Reading or Allentown to Philly, but really, do you want these places to become cookie-cutter exurban bedroom communities? Not everywhere should be Fredericksburg or Danbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
 
141 posts, read 194,448 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Because what's going on in central New Jersey doesn't affect what's going on in Connecticut. CSA's are so vast that they encompass cities together that aren't even related, which defeats the point of even having metropolitan area statistics.

They are related because they're both intertwined with NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM
 
4,775 posts, read 8,787,009 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I gave Raleigh-Durham and the Bay Area as examples of how an MSA is defined by the Bureau is flawed at best. Heck, I even have an issue with DC and Baltimore being considered a CSA as well, as it's quite obvious the cities are separate in many ways (Media, economy, etc). There is quite a bit of development between the two, but it's nothing compared to how developed the Mid-Cities are between Dallas and Fort Worth or even the suburbs along the Peninsula between San Francisco and San Jose. A lot of DC'ers have been heading up to B-more due to it having way cheaper housing though.

Poor Philly indeed. Not only are they overshadowed by NYC and DC (and Boston to an extent) on the East Coast, but it's hemmed in by either larger metro areas (NYC) or smaller towns that operate somewhat autonomously from Philly. I wouldn't be surprised if places such as Reading or Allentown become a part of the CSA in the future, but it seems that Philadelphians have the advantage of having closer-in commutes, so those places won't become exurban bedroom communities anytime soon.
I agree San Jose and San Fran should have been one MSA. The rest is for the birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

Also, SF and San Jose are NOT separated by water.
I guess the SF Bay is a figment of my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin
It's wall-to-wall suburbs in between the two(SF-SJ) along US-101 and El Camino Real in San Mateo County. At least get your facts straight.
And Philly to Trenton? Philly to Allentown? Philly to Dover,Philly to AC is what ? Wall to wall tumble weeds? The Philly area is in the middle of 50 miliion people.There are over 9 M people in Phillys TV market

Draw a straight line from SF to San Jose and there is only 1 way to get there, a boat.

Draw a straight line from Philly to Trenton and there are probably 40 roads that will get you there within 25 minutes. Straight line from Philly to Allentown you have your choice of 4 major roads including an interstate highway supplying an endless string of towns.

I'm not saying SF and SJ couldnt be part of the same csma but what I am saying is that Philly should be given the same benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top