Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I guess the SF Bay is a figment of my imagination.

And Philly to Trenton? Philly to Allentown? Philly to Dover,Philly to AC is what ? Wall to wall tumble weeds? The Philly area is in the middle of 50 miliion people.There are over 9 M people in Phillys TV market

Draw a straight line from SF to San Jose and there is only 1 way to get there, a boat.

Draw a straight line from Philly to Trenton and there are probably 40 roads that will get you there within 25 minutes. Straight line from Philly to Allentown you have your choice of 4 major roads including an interstate highway supplying an endless string of towns.

I'm not saying SF and SJ couldnt be part of the same csma but what I am saying is that Philly should be given the same benefits.
Stop being simple and quit with the dumb strawman arguments. If you read a map, you'd know that SJ and SF are connected via US-101 or I-280.

San Jose - Google Maps

I can also draw a straight line between parts of SF and SJ and not hit a large portion of water if I could, so I don't know what your point is.

Matter of fact: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...637186d9103cf9

It's not Downtown-to-Downtown, but I did manage to create a line between portions of each city.

No wonder we as Americans have such a reputation for not knowing crap about geography.

Also, according to the sources I could find, Philly does not have 9 million people in their TV Market. The highest number I could find was 7,810,277. It's still the 4th largest TV Market in the country though. Most sources seem to indicate that the number of TV Households in Philadelphia is 2,955,190.

Do you have any more whiny homerism and pointless arguments that you'd wish to share?

Last edited by grindin; 03-24-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,349,385 times
Has there ever been a thread with rainrock where he doesn't start whining about the injustices against Philadelphia (yeah, there's a HUGE government conspiracy to wipe Philly off the map!) , even though it has NO effect on quality of life?

If you have a problem, seriously write to the US Census instead of complaining it here in every thread involving Philadelphia. It's getting quite tiresome, to be quite honest.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...maps-data.html
How come you never EVER address radio media markets, and stick purely to TV? Oh right, because it fits you the best.

Quote:
1 PPM BH S/PPM New York 15,669,500
2 PPM BH S/PPM Los Angeles 10,999,100
3 PPM BH S/PPM Chicago 7,862,200
4 PPM BH S/PPM San Francisco 6,145,800
5 PPM BH S/PPM Dallas-Ft. Worth 5,216,100
6 PPM BH S/PPM Houston-Galveston 4,815,700
7 PPM BH S/PPM Atlanta 4,413,800
8 PPM BH S/PPM Philadelphia 4,357,600
9 PPM BH S/PPM Washington, DC 4,279,900
10 PPM BH S/PPM Boston 3,977,400
Arbitron Radio Market Rankings - Fall 2009
Why is TV more important than radio? Why don't you answer that one? Obviously, there are more radio listeners than TV watchers. Whether you like it or not, no 'number' is really going to determine how people really feel about a city and its area. That's a fact.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Has there ever been a thread with rainrock where he doesn't start whining about the injustices against Philadelphia (yeah, there's a HUGE government conspiracy to wipe Philly off the map!) , even though it has NO effect on quality of life?

If you have a problem, seriously write to the US Census instead of complaining it here in every thread involving Philadelphia. It's getting quite tiresome, to be quite honest.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...maps-data.html
How come you never EVER address radio media markets, and stick purely to TV? Oh right, because it fits you the best.

Arbitron Radio Market Rankings - Fall 2009
Why is TV more important than radio? Why don't you answer that one? Obviously, there are more radio listeners than TV watchers. Whether you like it or not, no 'number' is really going to determine how people really feel about a city and its area. That's a fact.

Great minds think alike!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock
The discrepancy is glaring. SJ which is seperated by 45 miles of water from SF is part of SF CMSA but Reading,Allentown,Trenton,lancaster which are seperated by 45 miles of multiple highways are not part of Phillys CMSA. Unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I guess the SF Bay is a figment of my imagination.
No, it's not. But apparently your definition of the Bay Area is a part of your imagination. You seem to have forgotten about the "San Francisco Peninsula" ...you know, that huge chunk of continuously developed land with 1 million or so people, that is between SJ and SF, and through which SF and SJ are directly connected by a highway, an interstate (even surface streets: Mission Street/El Camino Real/the Alameda/West Santa Clara Ave., which runs straight from the Embarcadero in downtown SF to Downtown SJ), and commuter rail. You know, the peninsula, that piece of land which keeps SF from being an island. You can drive from SF to SJ on freeways or plain old city streets and never leave continuous development whether it be commercial, residential or industrial, same with taking the train. Much of the Peninsula is part of what is referred to by outsiders as "silicon valley." You may have heard of this strange place?

Or maybe I've just imagined the countless times i've driven to SJ from SF, or taken the train between the two? I was really on a ferry crossing 45 miles of water! And i was going to the non-existent SJ ferry terminal! All those peninsula cities and towns are underwater, and fish people live in them. SF and SJ being related enough to be a single metro is really a sham that every Bay Area resident perpetuates just to pss-off poor ever-victimized philly boosters such as yourself! And we've been perpetuating it for decades, us fools, look at that. Yeah, you got it!

Your seemingly intentional thickheadedness when it comes to Philly Vs. anywhere else does nothing but hurt your cause. I don't think you ever really believed that SF and SJ are separated by water, unless you've somehow managed to never come into contact with a Bay Area map in your entire life, or your entire time as a member on City-Data (which i very highly doubt...especially since all you do is argue philly's "true" superior metro status over other metros, so I assume...or at least hope you've done some basic research on other metros, such as quickly glancing at a map of them). But, just in case, here's some help for you: Google Maps

Last edited by rah; 03-24-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Great minds think alike!
He's going to continue to argue for Philadelphia in every thread. The government is not out to get Philadelphia. I don't know why he thinks they are. But he must understand that there parts of Mercer Co. that does indeed commute to NYC now. It's not about Trenton. It's about the country Trenton is in.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
He's going to continue to argue for Philadelphia in every thread. The government is not out to get Philadelphia. I don't know why he thinks they are. But he must understand that there parts of Mercer Co. that does indeed commute to NYC now. It's not about Trenton. It's about the country Trenton is in.
Shall I distribute the tinfoil hats?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,787,009 times
NYP Metro area

Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Shall I distribute the tinfoil hats?
Hats? The dude probably has a tinfoil skull by now. And it plugs into his tin foil hat, for double tinfoil protection. Gotta stop those evil census mind control rays.

rainrock is the only person to see through the conniving census overlords and their crap. He found the truth by heavily studying the great book of "USA TV Market list."

Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
hats? The dude probably has a tinfoil skull by now. And it plugs into his tin foil hat, for double tinfoil protection. Gotta stop those evil census mind control rays.

Rainrock is the only person to see through the conniving census overlords and their crap. He found the truth by heavily studying the great book of "usa tv market list."
lmao.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea they're quite large...but in many cases they're only marginally larger than some other cities' MSAs. In the case of the Bay Area, they're considerably smaller in land area than some major city MSAs (about 2,000 less than Dallas' MSA).
Yeah, Cleveland's isn't MUCH larger, and really doesn't cover all of Northeast Ohio like I thought or assumed it should... which would be more like 4.5 million vs the 2.8 million(msa is 2.2 I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City