Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,384 posts, read 25,580,923 times
Reputation: 10580

Advertisements

People should stop complaining. If you think MSA's are crap, look at CSA's, but dont make up your own **** and try and cite it as official. It doesnt work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
Reputation: 2974
I had no idea Philadelphia was so small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Stop being simple and quit with the dumb strawman arguments. If you read a map, you'd know that SJ and SF are connected via US-101 or I-280.

I can also draw a straight line between parts of SF and SJ and not hit a large portion of water if I could, so I don't know what your point is.

No wonder we as Americans have such a reputation for not knowing crap about geography.
And you should become more perceptive and and not take every word verbatim. You need to be able to decipher point of emphasis with facts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin
Also, according to the sources I could find, Philly does not have 9 million people in their TV Market. The highest number I could find was 7,810,277. It's still the 4th largest TV Market in the country though. Most sources seem to indicate that the number of TV Households in Philadelphia is 2,955,190.
Recheck your sources.

Philadelphia(PA)- 1.5 M
Montgomery(PA)- 800 k
Bucks(PA)- 625 k
Ocean(NJ)-600 k
Delaware(PA)- 560 k
New Castle-(DE) 530 k
Camden(NJ)- 520 k
Chester(PA)- 500 k
Lancaster(PA)- 500 k
Burlington(NJ) - 450 k
Berks(PA)- 400 k
Mercer(NJ)- 370 k
Lehigh(PA)- 350 k
Gloucester(NJ)- 300 k
Northampton(PA)- 300 k
Atlantic(NJ) 270 k
Sussex (DE)- 200 k
Cumberland(NJ) - 160 k
Kent (De)- 160 k
Schuylkill(PA)- 160 k
Lebanon(PA)- 120 k
Cape May(NJ)- 100 k
Salem(NJ)- 100 k
Cecil (Md)- 100 k

9.7 M people in Philly TV Market




Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin
Do you have any more whiny homerism and pointless arguments that you'd wish to share?
Is it Whiny homerism or is it trying to set the record straight?

Last edited by rainrock; 03-25-2010 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Reputation: 12099
I don't believe that's how you count TV markets but I could be wrong on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Has there ever been a thread with rainrock where he doesn't start whining about the injustices against Philadelphia (yeah, there's a HUGE government conspiracy to wipe Philly off the map!) , even though it has NO effect on quality of life?

It's getting quite tiresome, to be quite honest.
Thats unfortunate. I'm sorry you feel this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower
How come you never EVER address radio media markets, and stick purely to TV? Oh right, because it fits you the best.

Why is TV more important than radio? Why don't you answer that one? Obviously, there are more radio listeners than TV watchers.

30 seconds of TV ad-space could buy you 300 minutes of radio ad-space. Radio is becoming a neglected medium in the age of technology/ mass communication.

That being said. Keep in mind that Philly actually has 7 radio markets within what could be construed as a "CMSA", you know those endless geographical expanses that people like to brag they are part of?

Radio markets in the Philly region.
Philadelphia
Trenton
Wimington
Atlantic City
Reading
Lacaster
Allentown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
And you should become more perceptive and and not take every word verbatim. You need to be able to decipher point of emphasis with facts.




Recheck your sources.

Philadelphia(PA)- 1.5 M
Montgomery(PA)- 800 k
Bucks(PA)- 625 k
Ocean(NJ)-600 k
Delaware(PA)- 560 k
New Castle-(DE) 530 k
Camden(NJ)- 520 k
Chester(PA)- 500 k
Lancaster(PA)- 500 k
Burlington(NJ) - 450 k
Berks(PA)- 400 k
Mercer(NJ)- 370 k
Lehigh(PA)- 350 k
Gloucester(NJ)- 300 k
Northampton(PA)- 300 k
Atlantic(NJ) 270 k
Sussex (DE)- 200 k
Cumberland(NJ) - 160 k
Kent (De)- 160 k
Schuylkill(PA)- 160 k
Lebanon(PA)- 120 k
Cape May(NJ)- 100 k
Salem(NJ)- 100 k
Cecil (Md)- 100 k

9.7 M people in Philly TV Market
Where are your sources for those numbers since you're trying to call me out? Unlike you, I've provided links rather than make up crap that I pulled out my ass.

Market Location : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (http://www.clearchanneloutdoor.com/markets/philadelphia.htm - broken link)

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...-dma-ranks.pdf



You don't even know how TV Markets are even counted. You're just pulling out census/population figures to make yourself feel better. Obviously, you don't comprehend the methodology behind how TV Markets are measured. Which don't even necessarily correlate with metro areas anyhow.



Quote:
Is it Whiny homerism or is it trying to set the record straight?
With you, it's nonconstructive whining, making up facts, etc. You're not setting anything straight.

Last edited by grindin; 03-25-2010 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,389,710 times
Reputation: 5680
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I gave Raleigh-Durham and the Bay Area as examples of how an MSA is defined by the Bureau is flawed at best. Heck, I even have an issue with DC and Baltimore being considered a CSA as well, as it's quite obvious the cities are separate in many ways (Media, economy, etc). There is quite a bit of development between the two, but it's nothing compared to how developed the Mid-Cities are between Dallas and Fort Worth or even the suburbs along the Peninsula between San Francisco and San Jose. A lot of DC'ers have been heading up to B-more due to it having way cheaper housing though.

Poor Philly indeed. Not only are they overshadowed by NYC and DC (and Boston to an extent) on the East Coast, but it's hemmed in by either larger metro areas (NYC) or smaller towns that operate somewhat autonomously from Philly. But it seems that Philadelphians have the advantage of having closer-in commutes compared to other East Coast metros. I don't see anything wrong with that. I know there is probably some commuting between Reading or Allentown to Philly, but really, do you want these places to become cookie-cutter exurban bedroom communities? Not everywhere should be Fredericksburg or Danbury.
No that is actually why the CSA was created, because it is simply a clear depiction of the actual population center in a region. DC and Baltimore are seperate MSA's because of only the TV and Radio markets. The cities are 30 miles apart from downtown to downtown. We share 1 of our 3 major airports and the MARC rail connects the 295 corridor for that 30 plus mile stretch. The suburbs of both cites connect to each MSA, i.e Laurel, Columbia, Crofton, heck even Annapolis is the same distance from both cities. There are suburbs in Maryland that are 20 miles north or east of Wash DC that are given to the Baltimore MSA which is not truly indicative of the population in the MD suburbs because MANY of those people commute to DC or "DC area suburbs" to work, so it only makes sense to connect it all together in the CSA since they were seperated only for Census purposes in the MSA. The prices of the houses on one side of either town has nothing to do with it all not being one connected CSA metro area.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-25-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No that is actually why the CSA was created, because it is simply a clear depiction of the actual population center in a region. DC and Baltimore are seperate MSA's because of only the TV and Radio markets. The cities are 30 miles apart from downtown to downtown. We share 1 of our 3 major airports and the MARC rail connects the 295 corridor for that 30 plus mile stretch. The suburbs of both cites connect to each MSA, i.e Laurel, Columbia, Crofton, heck even Annapolis is the same distance from both cities. There are suburbs in Maryland that are 20 miles north or east of Wash DC that are given to the Baltimore MSA which is not truly indicative of the population in the MD suburbs because MANY of those people commute to DC or "DC area suburbs" to work, so it only makes sense to connect it all together in the CSA since the were seperated only for Census purposes in the MSA.
I see what you're saying. The DC-Balto dynamics can be quite confusing, LOL.

I'm still trying to figure out where Columbia stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,384 posts, read 25,580,923 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Is it Whiny homerism or is it trying to set the record straight?
Its whiny homerism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
 
4,775 posts, read 8,787,009 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
People should stop complaining. If you think MSA's are crap, look at CSA's, but dont make up your own **** and try and cite it as official. It doesnt work that way.
LOL I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top