Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 12:36 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times

Advertisements

IF FLORIDA WERE TRULY MORE SOUTHERN AND HAD SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY AND FRIENDLINESS MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE FIXIN' TO STAY_____this from a yankee that misses true southern hospitality(still available in the out of the way southern towns--mississippi--alabama---tenessee--etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 01:12 PM

89 posts, read 100,061 times
I love the southern states, eve though we have some really bad parts, I still think it's one of the most underrated places in America.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 PM

158 posts, read 445,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
IF FLORIDA WERE TRULY MORE SOUTHERN AND HAD SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY AND FRIENDLINESS MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE FIXIN' TO STAY_____this from a yankee that misses true southern hospitality(still available in the out of the way southern towns--mississippi--alabama---tenessee--etc
"Out of the way Southern towns? Uh, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee are all states, not towns! Florida is Southern where it counts and in many places, but like I keep saying, the areas of extreme urbanism and urban sprawl have largely grown from people originated outside the South! How hard is that fact to comprehend. The reason that many cities and the urbanized areas around them are weak on Southern hospitality is because those people are not Southerners. They are Northerners. And even if many are born there, their parents weren't. If a few Yankees move here and there slowly over the years, they easily assimilate into and become Southernized, especially their kids. But when hundreds of thousands of Yankees pour into the state in droves for 30 or 40 years, the Southern culture in those areas where they flock too cannot compete with the influx! If the Florida scenario happened in Mississippi, it would be identical to Florida. People would be saying, "Mississippi is not Southern!" or "Mississippi may be in the South, but not of the South!" and other such utterings.

I can take any of y'all to many many places throughout my state that are every bit as Southern as any place in MS, AL, or TN! You'll here "y'all" "fixin" "yonder" etc. The fact that people want to move out of Florida is because Florida has grown too large, too fast and the state is playing catch up. If the growth had been more steady and less drastic, people whould have faired much better. But in Florida, there's a clash of cultures, mainly Southern, Northern, and foreign! Northerners and foreigners should assimilate, but they won't so their defiance bucks the system and causes problems. That's a nutshell explanation, but you get the point.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM

158 posts, read 445,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ considering most of the east coast of Florida was developed Henry Flagler who was a New Yorker in the 1890s I wouldn't call all of Florida "Dixie". Yankess built most of southeast Florida when there were no "southerners" except to north ala Jacksonville or the panhandle & central Florida. Growing up in Miami we used to call southerners either 'crackers" or rednecks since they were so few. Culturally Florida has never been truly "southern" like Alabama or Mississippi it's more of a blended state with "southerness" being found more as you head north in the state. I don't know where you live but if you've been to Miami or Orlando or Tampa they are nowhere near being like Birmingham or Jackson.
Well, the cities you mentioned used to be very much Southern. Floridians today don't even know their state history very much. Since many moved here from elsewhere, they don't seem to care about Florida history, only beaches and Mickey Mouse. It's apparent you have no clue as to what you're talking about. All of Florida is Dixie! Yankees developing parts of it doesn't change that. Yankees have tdone similar in other Southern states but their still Dixie! And no Southerners south of Jax! How ridiculous is that. In the 1950s, Florida's population was around 3 million, most of which were Southern all over the entire state! Those are facts whether you like it or not!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
"Out of the way Southern towns? Uh, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee are all states, not towns! Florida is Southern where it counts and in many places, but like I keep saying, the areas of extreme urbanism and urban sprawl have largely grown from people originated outside the South! How hard is that fact to comprehend. The reason that many cities and the urbanized areas around them are weak on Southern hospitality is because those people are not Southerners. They are Northerners. And even if many are born there, their parents weren't. If a few Yankees move here and there slowly over the years, they easily assimilate into and become Southernized, especially their kids. But when hundreds of thousands of Yankees pour into the state in droves for 30 or 40 years, the Southern culture in those areas where they flock too cannot compete with the influx! If the Florida scenario happened in Mississippi, it would be identical to Florida. People would be saying, "Mississippi is not Southern!" or "Mississippi may be in the South, but not of the South!" and other such utterings.

I can take any of y'all to many many places throughout my state that are every bit as Southern as any place in MS, AL, or TN! You'll here "y'all" "fixin" "yonder" etc. The fact that people want to move out of Florida is because Florida has grown too large, too fast and the state is playing catch up. If the growth had been more steady and less drastic, people whould have faired much better. But in Florida, there's a clash of cultures, mainly Southern, Northern, and foreign! Northerners and foreigners should assimilate, but they won't so their defiance bucks the system and causes problems. That's a nutshell explanation, but you get the point.

People I always thought don't realize how big Fla is. New Yorkers in their very narrow ways often think just a few places they go to in SE Fla and back and forth to NY are the only Florida that exists. But many of those same people have no regard or understanding for the rest of their own state of NY either outside their immediate bubbles.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
"Out of the way Southern towns? Uh, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee are all states, not towns! Florida is Southern where it counts and in many places, but like I keep saying, the areas of extreme urbanism and urban sprawl have largely grown from people originated outside the South!"

out of the way from where i am in fla---i wish i could have met truely friendly southern types of people during my 30 yrs in fla---i only encountered the true southern hospitality in places like summerville,sc,huntsville,al.,and other places
where i have spent some time-----here in west fla---the true natives are stressed and being squeezed out financially maybe i would have seen a difference in people had i lived in a rural or small town area(wherever that may be here)

Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 AM

It's gone for the most part, just like going to look for Beach Blanket Bingo 60s surfer girls in California.

Gone with the wind! But the media will continue to still make money over the myths and legends that remain.

Just like they do with Sinatra's NY being "city that never sleeps". No such thing.
People live much more normal lives in NYC these days.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 30,131 times
OK floridasoutherner i never said that florida didnt fight in the war of northern aggression or that the state dont have a southern past. But son i want you to explain to me how florida is as southern as the rest of the south when you said yourself that only 8 out of 18 million are actually southern, plus alot of the southerners kids grow up around them yankees and lose there southern ways. Even all the other people in here from florida dont think its really southern. How can a state with more yankees than locals retain its southern tradition and ways, they cant, so they aint as southern as bama,miss,ect. because we dont have that problem. Bottom line i have been to hillsboro,polk,pasco,sumter, and lake countys in central fl and exept for the occaional old man holding on to his chunk of land untill his kids sell it, it looks like one big suburb and its hard for me to belive that any where around miami or orlando is any different. And if the yankees moved to alabama like they do to florida there would be a war in the streets, and though we got some yankees on our gulf coast if they moved 10 miles up they might get hanged in the old pine tree. And they know this, thats why they havent come. So the difference is in florida you'd be looking for somewhere that is dixie and in my state you would be looking for somewhere that aint dixie.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS01 View Post
OK floridasoutherner i never said that florida didnt fight in the war of northern aggression or that the state dont have a southern past. But son i want you to explain to me how florida is as southern as the rest of the south when you said yourself that only 8 out of 18 million are actually southern, plus alot of the southerners kids grow up around them yankees and lose there southern ways. Even all the other people in here from florida dont think its really southern. How can a state with more yankees than locals retain its southern tradition and ways, they cant, so they aint as southern as bama,miss,ect. because we dont have that problem. Bottom line i have been to hillsboro,polk,pasco,sumter, and lake countys in central fl and exept for the occaional old man holding on to his chunk of land untill his kids sell it, it looks like one big suburb and its hard for me to belive that any where around miami or orlando is any different. And if the yankees moved to alabama like they do to florida there would be a war in the streets, and though we got some yankees on our gulf coast if they moved 10 miles up they might get hanged in the old pine tree. And they know this, thats why they havent come. So the difference is in florida you'd be looking for somewhere that is dixie and in my state you would be looking for somewhere that aint dixie.

Good Grief!!

Most of this conversation I recall came about by the designation by some that those states that seceded are true Southern, not what came after and that's where they have drawn the line.

I got into it about Virginia with some. Did you know that after the secession of NW counties of Va that became WVA, what was left of VA still had some counties where slavery never occurred, all the blacks were always free, and the Union forces held them thru the war. The confeds never controlled some counties in VA like them but they are still part of VA and get grouped with the whole remaining part that did secede. ??

Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
This argument is never gonna end, is it? Here is the answer: the true Southern states are the states that all supported the Confederacy by a majority during the Civil War, continued to support it after the Civil War, or the historic border states who were pro-Southern after the Civil War. Using this criteria, here are your Southern states: Virginia, West Virginia (2/3 of its population supported the Confederacy during the Civil War and its demeanor today is more or less Southern), Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida. Florida in the 1950s was as Dixie as a state can possibly get. THE ENTIRE SOUTH, not just Florida, has experienced immigration of many Northerners to the aforementioned states. So why on earth are people trying to give Florida and Virginia a pass when this type of migration is taking place all over the South. When we are talking geographically, Florida being Southern is beyond debate. And Richmond being the former capital of the Old South and Virginia being the first Southern state really doesn't give Virginia a whole lot to work with. I have been to both Virginia and Florida....if Virginia is not 100% Southern, it is at least 75% Southern. Florida I would say is 50% Southern, 50% Caribbean. I would never classify it as Northern ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City