U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,183 times

Advertisements

So, I've got a few questions.

I'm currently a college student in Atlanta, GA. I should be graduating in the Spring of 2011 with my BBA in Accounting. I've grown tired of Atlanta and Georgia in general. The experience here wasn't exactly what I had hoped it would be. (PS..I've lived in Georgia my entire life. Grew up in s. Georgia and moved to Atlanta for college.)

Well, I'm wanting to make a change after college and I figure it would be a good time to do so. The current cities I'm looking at are Seattle, Portland, and Denver. Can anyone give me any insight on these cities and which would be best suited for someone with a degree in Accounting?

EDIT: Just to provide a bit more information about what sort of place I'd like to live...

Someplace with a downtown that is actually alive. Atlanta's seems dead to me. There is some activity near Piedmont Park and a bit in Buckhead, but it just seems so dead. I'd like something like Savannah, except bigger. You always see people out and walking around and the downtown area just has a nice vibe and pulse. (Yes, I realize that many of them are tourists.)

Someplace that isn't TOO expensive. There's no way I could afford to live in New York or LA. I can manage here in Atlanta, so I'd like something comparable or even cheaper.

Some place where people are friendly and social!

Last edited by AmericanIceman; 04-03-2010 at 01:00 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:38 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,179,113 times
Portland is not the place to go to make a career for yourself, I can tell you that much. 2nd worst unemployment rate of any major city in the country, after only Detroit. Denver or Seattle would be better options.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:56 AM

10,171 posts, read 13,730,711 times
If you're doing accounting, then Seattle your place to be.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM

10,171 posts, read 13,730,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaDei View Post
If you think Atlanta's dead then you're going to hate Denver. Denver's nightlife is limited to the grocery store and Coors Field for a baseball game. But economically it is in far better shape than many major US cities--including Portland and Seattle. And it is definitely a lot friendlier than Seattle. You can also look into Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, where the economy is still doing well and each of those cities is growing and increasingly vibrant and alive. Denver is a great city and you would do well there, but I would leave the dancing shoes at home.
That's very true. The only thing I would refute here is the San Antonio part. Houston's doing incredible economically. San Antonio, not so much, there was somewhat of a spark for a massive economic boom there, but it died down in mid 2009.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 77,785 times
The economy is improving in Portland, as with everywhere, I wouldn't let that stop you. In terms of where to live, these are the strengths I see for each city:

Portland: Best Transportation/Mass Transit, Best Biking and Hiking, Best Parks, Best proximity to great things to see

Seattle: Most Cosmopolitan, Best Scenery, Best Job Market, Best Skyline

Denver: Lowest Cost of Living, Best place to get a big house and big yard, Best Skiing, Best location for travelling to either coast

Also, consider weather. Portland/Seattle have mild winters with little snow but also little sun. While Denver's winter's are sunny but plenty of snow and freezing. Denver has the warmest summers, Seattle the coldest.

Politically, Seattle and Portland are liberal while Denver is conservative.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,842,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodc View Post
The economy is improving in Portland, as with everywhere, I wouldn't let that stop you. In terms of where to live, these are the strengths I see for each city:

Portland: Best Transportation/Mass Transit, Best Biking and Hiking, Best Parks, Best proximity to great things to see

Seattle: Most Cosmopolitan, Best Scenery, Best Job Market, Best Skyline

Denver: Lowest Cost of Living, Best place to get a big house and big yard, Best Skiing, Best location for travelling to either coast

Also, consider weather. Portland/Seattle have mild winters with little snow but also little sun. While Denver's winter's are sunny but plenty of snow and freezing. Denver has the warmest summers, Seattle the coldest.

Politically, Seattle and Portland are liberal while Denver is conservative.
Denver has winters that are sunny, with temps ranging from below 0 on rare occasions to the 70s. There is usually at least one day above 60 degrees in every winter month. This was the first year in decades that that didn't happen. When I say decades, I mean since I've been here which is now 30 years. Snow comes in dumps for the most part. The 60 inches is spread out over at least 6 months, sometime longer, and it's generally 6" or more at a time. So there might only be a few storms per winter.

Denver the city is garden-variety liberal. The state is "purple", currently with a Dem gov, two Dem senators, 5 of 7 Dem reps, and Democrats in control of the statehouse. Libertarianism is big here. Live and let live.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,443,125 times
I wouldn't consider Denver conservative or liberal. Quite independent. Denver suburbs can be quite conservative, but the city itself, not so much. Totally agree on the winter weather...one of the most unique winter climates in North America...one day cold and snowy, the next warm and sunny...and we are talking January! Denver has been somewhat stagnant the past couple decades, but is starting to re-awaken, and has a better than average future IMO.

Downtown vibe: All three cities are dead downtown, but there are nearby neighborhoods that thrive. If you don't mind a strong gay-scene, Seattle has Capital Hill. But also Belltown. Portland has the Pearl District, and Denver has areas that thrive around the sports districts.

Cost of living: Portland is probably the lowest, but Seattle and Denver are not exhorbitant. Atleast compared to places like L.A./S.F./Chicago.

Last edited by pw72; 04-26-2010 at 10:45 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,304,346 times
Seattle is a beautiful city with a vibrant nightlife, especially in the Capitol Hill and Queen Anne neighborhoods, Ballard, the U district, and Wallingford also have good nightlives.

On the down side, it is expensive, especially compared to Atlanta. But most people here rent or live in apartments or flats, at least singles in the city, and I've seen rents be as low as $650 a month for a studio if you pack light.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,842,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Seattle is a beautiful city with a vibrant nightlife, especially in the Capitol Hill and Queen Anne neighborhoods, Ballard, the U district, and Wallingford also have good nightlives.

On the down side, it is expensive, especially compared to Atlanta. But most people here rent or live in apartments or flats, at least singles in the city, and I've seen rents be as low as $650 a month for a studio if you pack light.
Good grief! My daughter had a 2 BR apt in a nice part of Denver for that rent.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,458 times
Having moved here to Denver from Anchorage, (although I have lived in numerous other places), where people are so genuine, real, and unpretentious, I would have to say that I was totally surprised that the people here in Denver are friendlier than people in ANY city that I have ever been in. The problem herein lies: While Denverites are truly a gregarious, laid-back, casual lot, they are also (and of course this can't apply to everyone) VERY FAKE when you actually get to know them. Having lived here almost three years now, I'd say that as far a strangers are concerned, you really can't beat the citizens of Denver, (it's also VERY SAFE due in part to the fact that it is a virtual police state. No one speeds on the roads here, which I thought at first was pretty odd for a large city, however, there is a VERY GOOD reason for that!!!) but unlike Anchorage, whose people are still quite friendly, they don't warm up to you in a heartbeat like they do here, and then when you think that you have become "friends" with them, totally leave you astounded, and in a lurch. God, that has been SO FRUSTRATING!!! In Anchorage, when you make a friend, (and I still talk to my Anchorage friends every day, sometimes for hours) barring any unforeseen major fall-out, expect them to be your friend forever. In Denver, ummmmmm, there's SO MANY very nice people, but when the chips are down, don't hedge your bets!

For a city like Denver, that has so much to offer, the cost of living here in near incredible! So, if you are looking for decent rent, and loads of things to do (minus the ocean), I'd choose Denver. Plus the weather here is AMAZING. It snowed on May 12th this year (a little, but enough to cover everything in white until the sun arose), but in July it was over 100 for nearly a week. Last year on October 7th, we got 8" of snow. This year, on Oct. 7th, it was 94 degrees. It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow, although last year on this date, it snowed 16". In April, it's common for it to be 78 degrees, snow 12" the following night, and then be 64 and sunny a day later! Wild. Plus we get great thunderstorms, thunder-snow (indeed!), huge hail, tornadoes,... you name it! Snow in the winter is actually pretty uncommon compared to the stereotype of our city. We will get about 4 fairly minor (6"-12") storms that will usually melt within 3-4 days until March arrives, and THEN the blizzards hit, in several days of gorgeous, and sunny weather. Generally, though, in the winter, it's dry, sunny, and in the 50s, although in my three years I've seen -18 in Dec. and 70 in January. It's often warmer here in the fall and winter than in Florida, and likewise, frequently colder than Alaska too. All in all, the weather here is truly AMAZING. You really have to experience it, to truly grasp how wild it can actually be. There are very few cities in the world, where the weather is so unpredictable, or diverse.

Denver DOES have the famed 300+ days of sunshine per year, and even when it's 105 degrees in July, it's so arid here that it feels more like 90, whereas 105 in ATL would probably feel more like 120 with the humidity! Denver has more public park space than any other city in the nation, and also more bars, clubs, and restaurants per capita than any U.S. city too. And the flat expanse of the Great Plains ends at the toes of the beautiful majestic Rocky Mountains, just 12 miles east of downtown! That's another thing that I really love about Denver. It's really pretty neat to live in a metropolis perched on the final few western miles of a seemingly endless sea of the plains, in the shadow of the highest mountain range in North America. There's a lot to love living in Denver. We have eight pro sports franchises, and our state boasts more in-shape people than any other due to the weather, sunshine, and vast array of outdoor activities to engage in. Plus, at at 5,280 ft. above sea-level, the thinner air here is thought to stimulate the human body's natural metabolism. Air, even here in Denver, on the plains, is 16% thinner at 5,280ft. high, than it is at sea-level.

"Ghetto" as it is known in other large American cities does not exist in Denver. Yes, there are certainly shadier, lower income areas of town, but there is simply no "ghetto, and certainly no "projects". People from here, will tell you that there IS, but having lived in and traveled to many other US cities, Denver DOES NOT have a ghetto. Crime is also VERY LOW for a city of this size. Murder (which in Tulsa, OK, where my family resides, is an every-day occurrence) occurs here less than once a week, if that. It's not like in Tulsa where the headlining story every night is someone or more being violently killed. Denver is an VERY SAFE, worry free city. The trade-off for this, is a ubiquitous, frequently brutal, despotic (ask anyone) police force. They say life is all about trade-offs, and personally, with personal marijuana possession in Denver, having been legalized, I'd rather live somewhere that I can feel safe anywhere I am, all the while NEVER SPEEDING WITHOUT A RADAR DETECTOR, drinking and drive, or getting involved in any sort of altercation with anyone. If you chose to live in Denver, even if you are someone that "doesn't speed", I'm personally mandating that you BUY A VERY GOOD RADAR DETECTOR, because especially in the month of APRIL (remember this stuff, or you'll regret it later if you move here!) cops will pull out any trick in the book to nab you for traveling above a posted limit (possibly right after the speed limit has dropped and you are coming around a bend or over a hill, maybe in a random vehicle, like an unmarked silver circa 1998 Chrysler Concorde or a jet black, deeply tinted Mustang Cobra that will (if you have a fast car) snarl at a stoplight, trying to get you to race it and then bust you for reckless driving or excessive acceleration, follow you for miles through neighborhood streets, arrest you for a DUI while riding a bike, bust you with unmarked camera, flash and radar outfitted vehicles, parked empty along-side the road, with hidden traffic cameras, and as happened to me, even will even pull you over as you pass by ON THE HIGHWAY, going 53 mph (radar detector!), because your windows are tinted too darkly in your almost new, four year old, Audi S4! I've ridden out to the mountains with a woman who had recently moved here from Chicago, was about 40 and going on her first real "hike", and when my friend and I warned her about the police being everywhere here, and not to speed, she assured us that she didn't speed, and even, that she'd never gotten a ticket in her life! Well... guess who got her very first speeding ticket on the way. ;D Yeahhhhh... If nothing else I said about the nature of the police here has resonated with you, I hope that that one story will. Without a radar detector, you WILL get pulled over within your first six months here. If I knew you, and you decided to move to Denver and didn't heed my advice and buy one, I'd even wager $200 on it! It's THAT BAD. The police here are not only insidiously cunning, and completely devoid of human empathy, but they are also BRUTAL and RUTHLESS. Recently they've been been publicly "under fire" because of numerous witnesses and video footage of officers using excessive force to subdue subjects. Not to mention, there's even been cases where people who were not posing any eminent threat to an officer, and were shot in cold blood, later acquitted of murder in court. It's ridiculous! The least you can do is NOT SPEED or disobey traffic laws AT ALL and you will avoid being ticketed, arrested, beaten, and/or just shot.lol Seriously. You could be driving a woman in labour to the hospital, and not only wold you still be ticketed, but the officer wouldn't feel any sort of desire to to be quick about it either.

Anyway, Downtown Denver is not "dead" by ANY means, however, it is certainly not Vancouver, that having been said! lol There are thriving sections of downtown; specifically, LoDo (lower downtown) and SoCo (south of Colfax). There's the 16th Street Mall, a mile long outdoor pedestrian mall that cuts a swath through downtown Denver, and has a variety of big-name, large-city only stores, small boutiques, and a host of fine bars and restaurants. Denver also has the nation's only downtown amusement park (Six Flags: Elitch Gardens) as well as one of the countrys top five water parks, a downtown aquarium and baseball stadium, a nationally recognized zoo, a butterfly Pavilion, and all the artistic and cultural museums a person could want. There is also a new, larger history museum under construction, and who can forget the world renowned Red Rocks Ampitheatre, which hosts the largest bands and acts from across the globe, all amidst an outdoor, natural, sandstone, acoustic paradise. The city of Boulder, (just 20 mins. away) is close by, and is a beautiful, artsy, athletic, (yuppie, although equally "hippie") relaxing, hedonistic, and utopian escape, and oh... did I mention the Rocky Mountians?

So, this is what I know of Denver. I have a Bachelor's in psychology and an Associate's in culinary arts, (but hate cooking as a job), and I am REALLY, REALLY struggling to find work!!! So, just be aware, although unemployment is rampant everywhere, and actually, I believe that Denver's is fairly low in comparison to many other large cities and below the national average. I wish I could speak on behalf of Seattle and Portland, and to be quite honest, I have been contemplating moving there, as I miss the sea and I am definitely most at home in the rain forests of the Northwest, but from what I understand, the unemployment rate is significantly higher in both these cities, so I'm not so sure if this is a good idea.

In summary, Denver is an incredible, thriving, and rapidly growing city, situated at the foot of a wilderness wonderland. It is relatively inexpensive, very casual, extremely friendly, outdoorsy, and safe. There's a TON of things to do and the weather will literally blow your mind with it's unpredictable capriciousness. My only words of warning would be to be to find a job first, be careful who you befriend, date, and or trust, because many of them will turn out to be fake, flakes, or just plain crazy. And... DO NOT SPEED!!! EVER!!!! LOL Stay alive... lol Well, I hope that gave you at least a little insight on D-town at least!

Last edited by Smyle12; 10-30-2010 at 02:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City