Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

I think the bi-coastal connect is strong between California & New York but mostly the cities of Los Angeles & NYC. Media\ entertainment\ arts\ writers connection is very strong. The two spheres of influence in America are New York & California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Going by the following

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

New York-Florida
North Carolina-Florida
Illinois-California
Texas-California

In culture/political terms I picture Alaska as being more like Montana or Wyoming than the Pacific Northwest. As in much more Republican, an economy steeped in mining/petro-chemicals, likes guns, and conservative without being particularly religious. (Palin is unusual for an Alaskan Republican on the social issues)
NC-NY also.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Out of all the deep connections between black communities throughout the nation (like Black Texans to Black Californians and Louisianians or Black Georgians and Carolinians to Black New Yorkers), this is the deepest and probably most interesting one. If you look at the map, Mississippi is directly south of Illinois but separated by two states. I remember when I was visiting Chicago, everyone that I talked to said they were going down to Mississippi to visit family. You had a few Arkansas and Tennessee and Louisiana and Texas. But Mississippi was by far the popular one.

It's also interesting when you look at the HBCU's. Many black Chicago expressed interests attending college at Jackson State and Alcorn State. Likewise, many of the Blacks at PV in Texas hail from California and many of the Blacks at the numerous Georgia universities come from New York and Pennsylvania. Even here in DC, a city with an HBCU and one more just to the Northeast, many flee DC and head to North Carolina A&T skipping Hampton and Norfolk State.
lol yeah i know quite a few people at school in mississipi

Old 04-10-2010, 05:06 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
For blacks Mississippi to Illinois (but really just Chicago) is a huge one. The ties between black Mississippians and black Chicagoans are so deep it's scary.
Actually any major city and even mid major city in the Midwest, really. My dad who is from the Mississippi Delta(quite a few Black folks here in Syracuse with ties to MS too) had friends and people he knew from his hometown move to places like Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Waterloo Iowa, Milwaukee, Racine Wisconsin, Flint MI, Cleveland, Cincinnati and some even went out West too.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Out of all the deep connections between black communities throughout the nation (like Black Texans to Black Californians and Louisianians or Black Georgians and Carolinians to Black New Yorkers), this is the deepest and probably most interesting one. If you look at the map, Mississippi is directly south of Illinois but separated by two states. I remember when I was visiting Chicago, everyone that I talked to said they were going down to Mississippi to visit family. You had a few Arkansas and Tennessee and Louisiana and Texas. But Mississippi was by far the popular one.

It's also interesting when you look at the HBCU's. Many black Chicago expressed interests attending college at Jackson State and Alcorn State. Likewise, many of the Blacks at PV in Texas hail from California and many of the Blacks at the numerous Georgia universities come from New York and Pennsylvania. Even here in DC, a city with an HBCU and one more just to the Northeast, many flee DC and head to North Carolina A&T skipping Hampton and Norfolk State.
I've noticed lots of blacks at TSU in Houston are from the Midwest. Lots of them from Detroit and Chicago.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

So true.....You also forgot Mississippi Valley State for people from Chicago to go too. Some might go to Tougaloo and Rust as well.

My mom is from SC and the ties with the major cities in the Northeast are strong. She had family and other people from her hometown that she knew that went to Trenton NJ, Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, Baltimore and DC. Here in Syracuse, the strongest ties for the Black community here come from SC, GA, Central Florida and Southeastern Alabama. Mississippi, VA around Danville and NC is up there too.

You get quite a few kids going to schools like Howard, Shaw, NC A&T, Winston-Salem State, Morgan State, Lincoln University of PA, Florida A&M, Hampton and Johnson C. Smith, among a few others from the Syracuse area.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
There is a HUGE Chicago-Mississippi connection. I once heard the South Side of Chicago jokingly referred to as "North Mississippi". It seemed like half of Jackson State students were from Chicago when I was living in Mississippi. LOT's of folks from Michigan too. I have an Aunt who was hired as a part of a teacher recruitment move back in the late 60's up to Michigan. She lived up there 36 years and moved down to Georgia with her husband to retire. It seems like there are a TON of Michiganders here in Georgia though. One of my friends is dating a woman from Detroit who attends a church with a pastor from Detroit, and he said the congregation is mainly ex-Detroiters who relocated to Atlanta.

I think that Florida has a large number of Michiganders and Ohioans that tend to settle along the Gulf Coast of that state. When I lived in Tampa, I noticed a large population of Midwestern transplants. The Northeasterners seemed to favor Orlando and South Florida.

My Grandmother recently passed away, and it turns out she has a half-sister that moved to Detroit, and I have many relatives up there I didn't know about. I also supposedly have a ton of family in Chicago that I never met, but many of them are descendants of Great-Uncles and Great-Aunts that moved up north from Mississippi long ago.

I have a cousin from the DC area that attends Morehouse here in Atlanta. He said there are a TON of students there from the DC/MD/VA area. Heck, at my job now, I've met at least 10-15 people from the DC area. That's purely anecdotal, but does seem to be a large DC/MD/VA-Georgia connection nowadays. I'm curious about the migration patterns between those two areas. I've been hearing people playing go-go music at parties and in their car way more than I'd expect to this far down south, so I have a hunch there is a large pattern of migration between DC and Atlanta.

I'm curious if there is a Texas-Georgia connection. It doesn't seem to be much of one. I do know a few Texans out here, but it's nowhere near the number of relocated New Yorkers, Floridians, Californians or DC area people I've met here. The Texas-California and Texas-Illinois connections seem to be a lot more pronounced than a Texas-Georgia one.

There is a large Mississippi-Texas and Mississippi-Georgia connection as well. Most of the folks I knew that left Mississippi left for Atlanta, Dallas and Houston.
Here in Atlanta, a metro area of 5.3 Million people, I've ran into so many High School and college classmates, it's almost scary, LOL. I was at the BANK one day, and the manager recognized me from a music class we took way back our Sophomore year. Another classmate recognized me at the mall and hollered out my name. And these are just a few of the run-ins I've had, from all over Metro Atlanta.

Last edited by grindin; 04-10-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
No there isn't much of a Texas-Georgia connection. You may have some transplants here and there. But not enough to notice anything significant like the ones you mentioned. A good bit of Texans probably will not go east of Mississippi. In fact, if many Blacks leave the state of Texas and they attend an HBCU, they head next door to Grambling (which has a HUGE DFW student population) or Southern.

There is a Texas-Kansas & Missouri connection though. This link is why.http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...s/EE/ume2.html

I do think the Texas-Wisconsin and Illinois connection is underrated. As far as the West goes.http://www.inmotionaame.org/migratio...topic=8&bhcp=1

Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
There's definitely a strong New York/California connection as well as a strong New York/Florida connection (snowbirds, retirees, and hispanic communities).

Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Illinois and Arizona. Phoenix is practically New Chicago. Go to a Diamondbacks/Cubs game and half the crowd is wearing blue. Go to a Coyotes/Blackhawks game and half the crowd is cheering for the Hawks.

Illinois and Mississippi as mentioned. Some Alabama connection too. Mississippi Rick's is a popular barbecue joint on the near south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City