Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
To supplement the OP's post about the 30/10 plan, here's what the plan looks like:

How Feasible is Antonio Villaraigosa’s 30/10 Gambit for Los Angeles Transit? « The Transport Politic

It's pretty ambitious. I hope it can get done!
Wow! I'm really impressed with some of those proposals, you guys think all of these lines will actually get built? I lived in Huntington Park for 2 years and I feel that this area really deserves a line going through there, the southeast cities of LA are really underrated when it comes to density and walkability IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,182 times
Quote:
To supplement the OP's post about the 30/10 plan, here's what the plan looks like:

How Feasible is Antonio Villaraigosa’s 30/10 Gambit for Los Angeles Transit? « The Transport Politic

It's pretty ambitious. I hope it can get done!
Very cool stuff. But it looks like the majority of the 30/10 projects are light-rail, instead of true subway lines like you find on the east coast. Aren't subways typically much more effective than light-rail, because they are not at the mercy of street traffic and can move quicker under ground?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Some of the light rail is going on its on right of way, so not bothered by street traffic.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Very cool stuff. But it looks like the majority of the 30/10 projects are light-rail, instead of true subway lines like you find on the east coast. Aren't subways typically much more effective than light-rail, because they are not at the mercy of street traffic and can move quicker under ground?
Subway heavy rail lines are extremely expensive. Not many cities build any subway lines in this day and age and those that do build them pay a ton of money for them. The silver line in D.C. is a 26 mile metro extension. The cost for the line is 10 billion dollars. Phase 1 will be done in 2013 and phase two will be done in 2016. The purple light rail line that will eventually make a circle connecting every D.C. metro line is only about 1.5 billion for the first section connecting 4 legs. It will be done in 2016. The corridor cities transit way is a light rail line connecting the tech corridor to the north at the end of one of the red line legs. It will cost 1 billion. It will be 15 miles and is scheduled to be done in 2018. California is smart to build light rail because a major heavy rail network wouldn't be feasible in 2011.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-28-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,743 times
While I haven't read this entire thread, how on earth could LA be "undergoing the greatest rail expansion of our time"? That makes no sense!

There are Chinese cities building like 10 lines simultaneously.

LA, in contrast, has only a few miles u/c, and it's all very basic surface light rail.

LA doesn't even have the greatest rail expansion in the U.S.

NYC is simultaneously building three new heavy rail lines (East Side Access, Second Avenue Subway, 7 train expansion), expanding one light rail line (Hudson Bergen Light Rail) and there are many other expansions on the horizon (7 Train to Secaucus, Bergen-Passaic Light Rail, Airtrain to WTC, Northern Branch line to Tenafly, West Shore Line, etc.)

Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
While I haven't read this entire thread, how on earth could LA be "undergoing the greatest rail expansion of our time"? That makes no sense!

There are Chinese cities building like 10 lines simultaneously.

LA, in contrast, has only a few miles u/c, and it's all very basic surface light rail.

LA doesn't even have the greatest rail expansion in the U.S.

NYC is simultaneously building three new heavy rail lines (East Side Access, Second Avenue Subway, 7 train expansion), expanding one light rail line (Hudson Bergen Light Rail) and there are many other expansions on the horizon (7 Train to Secaucus, Bergen-Passaic Light Rail, Airtrain to WTC, Northern Branch line to Tenafly, West Shore Line, etc.)
Well NYC is divided into different agencies , where as LA is one. But for 1 agency they have planned is amazing. Where is NJT is building 1 Light Rail line , overhauling stations and West shore line , the PANYNJ is overhauling the PATH and the MTA is building the East Side Access , Slow Second Avenue project , slow 7th line extension , and overhauling a few lines.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Wow! I'm really impressed with some of those proposals, you guys think all of these lines will actually get built? I lived in Huntington Park for 2 years and I feel that this area really deserves a line going through there, the southeast cities of LA are really underrated when it comes to density and walkability IMO.
Well, by the end of this year, the Expo line is going to be opened and construction on the Orange Line extension has already started here in the San Fernando Valley (I drive by the construction sometimes). At the very least, LAMTA is more serious about expanding the mass transit options than ever before.

Like all plans, there will be setbacks, but we all got to start somewhere, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Subways do have a higher capacity to carry people than Light Rail, but the latter is MUCH more cost efficient given the City of Los Angeles and California's budget problems in general. At the very least, I would expect the Orange Line to be upgraded from BRT to LRT in the next few years, given the eagerness of SFV residents to use PT more and more.

And most of these lines would be grade separated from the street. I'm sure you've ridden the Blue Line (only on street level for a few miles in DTLA), Green Line (grade separated on the I-105 median the whole way), and Gold Line (grade separated throughout) so the issue of street traffic is not as much of an issue.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
Quote:
Well, by the end of this year, the Expo line is going to be opened and construction on the Orange Line extension has already started here in the San Fernando Valley (I drive by the construction sometimes). At the very least, LAMTA is more serious about expanding the mass transit options than ever before.
The Gold Line extension from Pasadena to Azusa broke ground last year as well. Projected completion in 2014...

Old 07-24-2015, 12:21 PM

110 posts, read 124,573 times
Default Comparing Apples To Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well NYC is divided into different agencies , where as LA is one. But for 1 agency they have planned is amazing. Where is NJT is building 1 Light Rail line , overhauling stations and West shore line , the PANYNJ is overhauling the PATH and the MTA is building the East Side Access , Slow Second Avenue project , slow 7th line extension , and overhauling a few lines.
LA is doing what NYC city did in the 1900's. It is building new lines that will eventually change the landscape of entire areas.

All New York City is doing is extending service to few areas for the purpose of 1) reducing crowding on other lines and 2) redistributing people across the system. Only the #7 line extension actually places rail transit in an area that never had it. LA is building there second system, the one NYC forgot to do in the 1930's.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:10 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qolspony View Post
LA is doing what NYC city did in the 1900's. It is building new lines that will eventually change the landscape of entire areas.
LOL, no.

LA is building light rail lines. There is one subway line. Light rail has the same capacity as bus service, and you aren't going to rebuild a city based on light rail alone. Transit share in LA hasn't budged since the 1970's, before there was any rail, so this isn't likely to change.

LA isn't even building as much as other cities in the U.S. Both NYC and DC have built more heavy rail in recent years. In NYC, right now, you have like four or five heavy rail expansion projects (Second Avenue Subway, 7 Train extension, East Side Access, East Bronx Metro North, Access to Region's Core). In LA, there's one such project. And, in global terms, LA is building almost nothing.

Just to illustrate, more people will ride the Second Avenue subway than will ride all of LA rail combined (light rail, metro and commuter rail). What LA is doing is small potatoes, and not really a game changer, though it's probably a good thing anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City