Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,303 times

Advertisements

Some shots from South Tx:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
^Um, there's a place called the Everglades right by Naples. No where in Florida has as many natural palms than there. I've been all over the everglades multiple times since my parents live right on the edge of it.

You asked for pictures, so I showed you. Those are planted palms, and 90% of the palms in your area are planted too. Like I said, they don't grow as naturally as they do in south Florida...common sense.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You come in here telling me that I just probably picked a couple of spots and then you post picture of planted palms on the street. Really convincing.

OK, you ready to take notes? The Sabal Palm is the state tree of Florida, it is the most widely distributed palm in Florida, it grows all over Florida since it can withstand temperatures down to 20 degrees.

From this anyone with a functioning frontal lobe should be able to conclude that a large area of preserve land with it's natural vegetation will have more palms than a city that has pavement everywhere.

Thanks for playing, buh bye.
Actually its hardy to about 7 degrees.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^Um, there's a place called the Everglades right by Naples. No where in Florida has as many natural palms than there. I've been all over the everglades multiple times since my parents live right on the edge of it.

You asked for pictures, so I showed you. Those are planted palms, and 90% of the palms in your area are planted too. Like I said, they don't grow as naturally as they do in south Florida...common sense.
Sigh...looks like another northerner entered the thread, those palms are Sabal palmettos, there native all the way to North Carolina.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
These are Sabal palmettos, they occur all the way up to North Carolina...in fact they're the state tree of South Carolina.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Sigh...looks like another northerner entered the thread, those palms are Sabal palmettos, there native all the way to North Carolina.
Um, you aren't a mod, so who are you to say who can enter threads? especially someone who just signed up a few weeks ago. I've been on the boards way longer than you have, buddy.

Because I spent 1/4 of my year in Florida. It's not like I don't have anything to contribute.

You should know that almost every palm you can grow in south Florida. There's a big difference between zone 10, and, say, zone 7 or 8. The coconut trees also grow more inland in south Florida than they do up north. I thought it was common sense...

naples, fl - Google Maps

You can see the natural palms even as far inland on 75. Once you get in the Tampa area, you don't see it nearly as much.

naples, fl - Google Maps

Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

Is that why they call the Everglades the River of Grass because it has palms all over it? No, it is because it is dominated by sawgrass.
And your parents are closer the The Big Cypress National Preserve, know why they call it that? Because is dominated by Cypress trees.

I can certainly see why you think these are planted.

Last edited by Mike1306; 04-10-2010 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Actually its hardy to about 7 degrees.
Thanks, I was trying to go off memory.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
What I have noticed when traveling in Florida is the variety of palms growing around the area esp south Florida. In Miami, palms are the most common tree & are really beautiful. In California there aren't as many varieties planted except in parks. It seems the native fan palm is the favorite & look great on the horizon. Here's some on the streets of Los Angeles:

Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM

The big cypress preserve is all part of the same Everglades. I've driven through it many times in Alligator alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City