Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

For Dallas to be a city on the Texas prairie, they sure have done a great job over the years with planting trees and greenery. I think people are shocked by the amount of greenery that is in Dallas. Once you get out in the burbs you see a lot more of that "prairie" feel, but not in actual Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 12:10 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Fort Worth!
I know Fort Worth is in the prairie because it is right next to DALLAS!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
It depends on your definition of major cities. The aforementioned list of cities prvided by californio sur are in a prarie/prarie-like location, do you not consider them major cities?
I do consider these cities major cities.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I do consider these cities major cities.
Dallas still takes the win for this thread.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:47 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
For Dallas to be a city on the Texas prairie, they sure have done a great job over the years with planting trees and greenery. I think people are shocked by the amount of greenery that is in Dallas. Once you get out in the burbs you see a lot more of that "prairie" feel, but not in actual Dallas.
All those trees in Dallas where not planted. You have been greatly been misinformed. There are numerous cross timbers that run through DFW. I doubt seriously when DFW was originally settled that they would settle in an oppressive hot in the summer treeless area.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
High plains refers more to elevation than it does northern or southern.
Thanks for the explanation, BChris.

Forgive my ignorance/unfamiliarity with the term "high plains."

Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dang it they want let me rep you
Fort Worth is the ultimate Prarie City in my opinion. Dallas is on the prarie, but its more obvious in Fort Worth and more culturally in-line with a prarie city.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually the first time I drove to Dallas I was surprised at how few trees there were. To me it looked like a desert. Of course once I went to a real desert I realized that Dallas is no desert. But compared to the lush forests around Houston and Atlanta I thought Dallas was pretty barren.

I was also shocked when I first went to Denver and saw how flat it was. Driving in from the east, I kept waiting for I-70 to go up into the mountains before getting to Denver. Denver is a wonderful city, but it's definitely a city on the Great Plains with the majestic Rocky Mountains serving as a beautiful background.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 AM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times
yeah, Dallas isn't really in the plains, high or otherwise. It is kind of in a weird geographic/geologic area that spans a few hundred miles at the most from east to west (and more north to south)...about 100 miles east of Dallas, you can see the lush green woods of East Texas pine country. About 100 miles west of Dallas, you can see the plains in earnest in places like Abielene area as well as some "badlands" type of geology. Within Dallas area itself, it's a mish-mash of some "crosstimbers", woods along the Trinity River, etc.

Cross Timbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for other prairie towns... Minneapolis/St. Paul??...one of the biggest metros on the prairie, no?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Actually the first time I drove to Dallas I was surprised at how few trees there were. To me it looked like a desert. Of course once I went to a real desert I realized that Dallas is no desert. But compared to the lush forests around Houston and Atlanta I thought Dallas was pretty barren.
yep, agree. Dallas feels more barren than it actually is in many parts. May be it is that Cross Timbers effect. It's certainly not as green/lush as Houston or Philadelphia...Nashville and eastern TN is also so green and lush...I liked it when I was visiting there! But then, those cities get far more rainy days than Dallas does... so if you prefer to have sunny weather, Dallas area is certainly your kind of town... something like 300+ days of sunny weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City