Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you find more appealing?
Indianapolis 35 38.46%
Columbus 43 47.25%
Not Sure 13 14.29%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM

372 posts, read 462,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Speaking for myself, I visit Detroit on occasion and Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities in the Midwest. Milwaukee is criminally underrated. And, for those wondering, downtown Columbus to downtown Cincinnati is 107 miles. Indy to Cincy? 112 miles. Cleveland? Sorry, don't care. Pittsburgh? Nice, but I prefer Chicago and Milwaukee. I am aware of some of the mean things people say about Chicago. Here's the thing. I've been to Chicago, many times. I've somehow managed to survive riding the train, bus, and walking through the city. Shocking, I know. See, I have the ability to think for myself, and just because some bumpkins on a forum think Chicago is scary, doesn't make it scary.

I too, can rattle off a list of state parks and lakes that are near Indianapolis.

I can't watch a new world class hotel go up, because Indianapolis already has a couple. Nice to see Columbus trying to catch up.

You want street views like the ones I posted for Columbus? Go to Google Street View and drop the pin. Just like Columbus, the odds are good you'll find something similar.
Good for you. Speaking of Detroit... Columbus is closer to Detroit than Indianapolis is. Also, I believe Louisville was mentioned as was St. Louis. Yeah, Columbus is closer to Louisville than Indianapolis is to St. Louis. So Indianapolis is closer to more cities than Columbus? Yeah, I don't think so. Still a major point how Columbus is more connected to eastern cities than Indianapolis. That's ok, Indiana is the state you get through to get to someplace better so I can see how it may be the "crossroads of America".

Obviously you can't catch on to sarcasm because the whole Chicago thing was just that. We all know what Chicago has to offer, but I am going back to points made by a certain poster, so if you're missing those or just pulling out of my posts what you want, I really don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I am sure you can "rattle" off all kinds of state parks and lakes near Indianapolis, but once again, I am pointing to what a certain poster said and how more (very popular ones at that) are located CLOSER to Columbus... you do realize this thread is comparing the two, right? For instance, Hoosier State Forest versus the Hocking Hills was originally part of the discussion.

I really do not care if you are watching/not watching a world class hotel go up. I never said Columbus had a world class hotel going up, you just mentioned projects happening in Indianapolis, I just did the same with Columbus. Columbus catching up to Indianapolis... that's a good laugh. Maybe Broad Ripple can take a few lessons from the Short North, and most of Indianapolis can learn how to create some established neighborhoods.

I know very well how to use Google streetview... my GIS and remote sensing classes have at least taught me that much What I asked for, since you're comparing finding the very same thing in Indianapolis was images of Indianapolis. What's the point in posting two images of Columbus and none of Indianapolis in a thread comparing the two? Two images of a rough blue-collar neighborhood... can't find those in Indianapolis, or just being biased and want to show a rosy picture of the city? You can tell me you find those areas in both cities, but you find those areas in every single city in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
But why would you want to be so close to Chicago? Haven't you heard on C-D how dangerous it is, and all their citizens lose their jobs? Either way, Columbus is closer and well connected to the east coast, more so than Indianapolis. Columbus is closer to more major cities in a shorter distance than Indianapolis, so that point is moot. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh. Indianapolis has no other major city in the state of Indiana, even if it is close to border cities like Louisville and Chicago. But how many people leave Indianapolis to go on day trips to Milwaukee or Detroit, other cities that were listed?

You like to watch hospitals go up? It was made mention of due to OSU and Nationwide. How does IUPUI compare to the Wexner medical center and Nationwide Children's? Seems like an interesting comparison eh? Now you mention urban development? Good for CityWay, but I could also watch the new Hilton and Nationwide offices rise in the Arena District, or the new Pizzuti hotel rise in the Short North. Maybe watch Grandview Yard in Grandview Heights... or what about the complete new construction of the Scioto riverfront from OSU to connect to the new downtown Scioto Mile park in the Riversouth District.
Why would I want to go to any of those cities you listed for a day trip on a regular basis? They're all somewhat comprable to both Indianapolis and Columbus, so they don't offer much more. Chicago, on the other hand, is one of the greatest and largest cities in the country and can easily be made into a day trip for someone living in Indianapolis. Even if you think Columbus is tied in more with the East Coast (debatable), it's not like you can just make a day trip to any city on the coast.

IUPUI is severely underrated. It's home to IU's Medical School, which, I believe, is the second biggest in the country. It's also has IU's Kelley School of Business, which is one of the country's top business schools. Clearly, OSU has a much larger impact, but you can't write IUPUI off.

And really? Bragging about a Hilton? Comment about new hotels when you have a 5-star Conrad or a brand new, 33 story JW Marriott.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,121,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
But why would you want to be so close to Chicago? Haven't you heard on C-D how dangerous it is, and all their citizens lose their jobs? Either way, Columbus is closer and well connected to the east coast, more so than Indianapolis. Columbus is closer to more major cities in a shorter distance than Indianapolis, so that point is moot. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh. Indianapolis has no other major city in the state of Indiana, even if it is close to border cities like Louisville and Chicago. But how many people leave Indianapolis to go on day trips to Milwaukee or Detroit, other cities that were listed?

I am not splitting hairs; I mentioned a state park that was very well known like Hoosier National Forest (if not more well known), but much closer to the city. Was Hoosier National Forest not mentioned? I believe it was. That is when I also stated that Shawnee State Park was about the same distance from Columbus as Hoosier is from Indianapolis. I can also name other state parks within about the same distance from Columbus as Brown State Park is to Indy. Tar Hollow State Forest and the Wayne National Forest, as well as Dillion State Park and Alum Creek State Park near Delaware. Not to mention (if you want to talk lakes) the several lakes in the Appalachian foothills like Salt Fork Lake, Senecaville Lake, Tappan Lake, and Buckeye Lake.

You like to watch hospitals go up? It was made mention of due to OSU and Nationwide. How does IUPUI compare to the Wexner medical center and Nationwide Children's? Seems like an interesting comparison eh? Now you mention urban development? Good for CityWay, but I could also watch the new Hilton and Nationwide offices rise in the Arena District, or the new Pizzuti hotel rise in the Short North. Maybe watch Grandview Yard in Grandview Heights... or what about the complete new construction of the Scioto riverfront from OSU to connect to the new downtown Scioto Mile park in the Riversouth District.

I saw you post those Google streetview images in another thread. Where's ones of Indianapolis for comparison sake? I still will take Columbus over Indianapolis from a neighborhood point of view, and Columbus' architecture over Indianapolis. Columbus has many more vibrant city neighborhoods than Indianapolis. Overall, Columbus just has a bit more of a lively feel to it on a city-wide level.
Considering Methodist and Riley hospital ranks higher than both I would say fairly well. The medical district in downtown Indianapolis is 4 hospitals (Methodist, nationally ranked, IU - teaching, Wishard - Tax payer and teaching and Riley Hospital for Children - Nationally ranked). Also 3 level I trauma centers (Wishard, Methodist and Riley for children). The 5th hospital is the VA. A better comparison of medical facilities would actually be Cleveland as it also has stellar medical facilities or WashU in the Lou or Cincy Childrens hospital, not Columbus. Hell you ask the people here and St. Vincents would probably rank the best hospital in Central Indiana over IU Health.

Other than that, CBus just outside of Downtown has better neighborhoods. Once you are out into the city, the two are fairly matched. A lot of four square, a lot of wood and vinyl, a lot of strip malls. South CBus is nothing to brag about in the least and a lot of suburban style tracks north. Obviously, Indianapolis has more land and lots tend to be larger once you are out of center township. Indianapolis downtown is quite frankly just better. Better amenities, more amenities, better marketing of those amenities. For instance, CBus convention center is pretty big, a nice size over Indiana Convention Center but can't host a convention of worth to save its life. Obviously, CBus can learn from Indianapolis on how to have an effective downtown and Indianapolis can learn from CBus on downtown adjacent neighborhoods.

Economy wise from top to bottom, Indianapolis is still better

GDP Cbus and Indianapols past 3 years from BEA. These are the latest numbers. Indianapolis 12 Billion more than Cbus, 5Billion more than Cincy and a few hundred million less than Cleveland and KC despite being the smallest metro of all of them. Exports, Indianapolis exports a lot more than CBus according to Brookings. 12 Billion is a steep difference between two similarly sized areas. Next set of numbers won't be released until beginning of next year for MSA from the Bureau of Economic Analysis which I would venture CBus will grow but again so will Indianapolis.

MSA | GDP 2008 | GDP 2009 | GDP 2010
Columbus, OH (MSA) | 89,780 | 90,323 | 93,353
Indianapolis-Carmel, IN (MSA) | 99,053 | 100,456 | 105,163

Exports 2010:
Indianapolis
Columbus

Exports 2008

End of the day, the cities are pretty similar and depending on what you are looking for, both can suit your needs without issue.

Last edited by msamhunter; 11-09-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,573,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Wrong.
Indianapolis has the better economy #1
#2 location is subjective.
Indianapolis is only 3 hours away from Chicago/2 hours from Cincy/4 hours from St Louis/5 hours from Detroit/5 hours to Milwaukee/Louisville is only 2.5 hours away.
So Sure Columbus has cleveland and Cincy but Indy has the better location to other cities and Lake Michigan.
I cannot believe you are spouting this ...

I wouldn't say that Indianapolis is anywhere near Lake Michigan either.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Wrong.
Indianapolis has the better economy #1
#2 location is subjective.
Indianapolis is only 3 hours away from Chicago/2 hours from Cincy/4 hours from St Louis/5 hours from Detroit/5 hours to Milwaukee/Louisville is only 2.5 hours away.
So Sure Columbus has cleveland and Cincy but Indy has the better location to other cities and Lake Michigan.
Better economy based on?

Unemployment rates:

State
Indiana: 8.2%
Ohio: 7.0%

Metro
Indianapolis: 7.1%
Columbus: 5.7%

Jobs lost during recession:
Indianapolis: 84,000
Columbus: 73,100

Jobs gained back through September 2012:
Indianapolis: 50,900
Columbus: 56,000

Location is not subjective. Columbus is closer to more of the US population than any other city in the country. They've done studies on this.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Why would I want to go to any of those cities you listed for a day trip on a regular basis? They're all somewhat comprable to both Indianapolis and Columbus, so they don't offer much more. Chicago, on the other hand, is one of the greatest and largest cities in the country and can easily be made into a day trip for someone living in Indianapolis. Even if you think Columbus is tied in more with the East Coast (debatable), it's not like you can just make a day trip to any city on the coast.

IUPUI is severely underrated. It's home to IU's Medical School, which, I believe, is the second biggest in the country. It's also has IU's Kelley School of Business, which is one of the country's top business schools. Clearly, OSU has a much larger impact, but you can't write IUPUI off.

And really? Bragging about a Hilton? Comment about new hotels when you have a 5-star Conrad or a brand new, 33 story JW Marriott.
The JW Marriott in Indy in criminally ugly. Probably one of the biggest skyline eyesore ever built, as it has zero connection with the rest of the skyline. It's like the Pyongyang Hotel in North Korea.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,121,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Better economy based on?

Unemployment rates:

State
Indiana: 8.2%
Ohio: 7.0%

Metro
Indianapolis: 7.1%
Columbus: 5.7%

Jobs lost during recession:
Indianapolis: 84,000
Columbus: 73,100

Jobs gained back through September 2012:
Indianapolis: 50,900
Columbus: 56,000

Location is not subjective. Columbus is closer to more of the US population than any other city in the country. They've done studies on this.
Why ignore all of the other economic indicators posted? Gdp is used more and considered a more viable methodology than ue. Indy ue bump stems mainly from brown and parke counties which have been hit badly as they sre tourist destinations whose economy is dependent on tourists with disposable income. We haven't had that over the past few years. But gdp is a better defining factor of ones local economy and there is a huge difference between the two
Austin will surpass both this year more than likely so while both are considered good by midwest standards, at most they are average outside of it.

As far as jw, yes it does feel out of place even though it sits judt outside of the mile square. Its in a park so dont look for anything to balance it out. Its pop though comes from the blue and the sky reflection.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,056 times
Quote:
The JW Marriott in Indy in criminally ugly. Probably one of the biggest skyline eyesore ever built, as it has zero connection with the rest of the skyline. It's like the Pyongyang Hotel in North Korea.
Well that's one opinion, but doesn't really have anything to do with the point I was trying to make. Why try to defend it? Go ahead and continue spewing your hatred for Indy. I find it amusing.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,956,577 times
Quote:
That's okay, I'll take our beautiful capital building over the ugly low budget capital dome in Columbus any day.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNaylorhere View Post
IMO it doesn't get more boring than indy. it's ugly and too much into sports.
It's sad that this was one of your first 2 posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City