Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you find more appealing?
Indianapolis 35 38.46%
Columbus 43 47.25%
Not Sure 13 14.29%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 AM

593 posts, read 1,761,647 times

Advertisements

Wow, those booster videos of Columbus--while very cheesy--really paint the city in a good light. It looks clean with lots of walkable urban neighborhoods and some vibrant streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Wow, those booster videos of Columbus--while very cheesy--really paint the city in a good light. It looks clean with lots of walkable urban neighborhoods and some vibrant streets.
Those videos may seem "cheesy" to some, but they're not unlike similar media campaigns of other large cities.
The videos are quite accurate ... Columbus is a fantastic city that is continuing to evolve and prosper.
While at first, I was not a fan of Columbus ... I've grown to appreciate it very much.
Columbus is unique in the midwest ... it's one of the very few ONGOING
SUCCESS STORIES in a region that has typically seen stagnant growth and huge population losses.
Columbus just continues to grow and prosper though.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
SUCCESS STORIES in a region that has typically seen stagnant growth and huge population losses.
Minneapolis-St. Paul? Kansas City? Fargo? Madison? Chicago? Indianapolis?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 AM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
Quote:
Those videos may seem "cheesy" to some, but they're not unlike similar media campaigns of other large cities.
The videos are quite accurate ... Columbus is a fantastic city that is continuing to evolve and prosper.
While at first, I was not a fan of Columbus ... I've grown to appreciate it very much.
Columbus just continues to grow and prosper though.
I agree, all booster videos are bound to be cheesy.

I ignorantly pictured Columbus as subrurban sprawl with a small-medium sized downtown. Clearly, there are several interesting districts and the city seems a lot more urban than I imagined.

Last edited by erin3465; 05-08-2010 at 01:56 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Columbus is a lot more interesting and cosmopolitan feeling than Indy even though the downtown in cols could be more active the historic neighborhoods all around the city create a truly unique environment. I've never met someone who visited Columbus and wasn't impressed with what they found. The suburbs and shopping in Columbus seem more high end than Indy as well.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
I agree, all booster videos are bound to be cheesy.

I ignorantly pictured Columbus as subrurban sprawl with a small-medium sized downtown. Clearly, there are several interesting districts and the city seems a lot more urban than I imagined.
It's typical for most of us to develop "pre-conceived" notions about
cities, and especially when we may have never even been there before.
I've had friends visit from places like Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta ... all very high profile cities. Each of my guests were actually "quite surprised" at just how vibrant and hip Columbus actually is. They had
to experience the city, in order to gain an entirely new perspective. It
happens with Cleveland, too ... most think of it as an urban wasteland.
Cleveland actually has enormous wealth tho, an amazing array of cultural venues, spacious suburbs & city neighborhoods ... and the same elements can be discovered in Columbus, too!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
Quote:
It's typical for most of us to develop "pre-conceived" notions about
cities, and especially when we may have never even been there before.
I've had friends visit from places like Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta ... all very high profile cities. Each of my guests were actually "quite surprised" at just how vibrant and hip Columbus actually is. They had
to experience the city, in order to gain an entirely new perspective. It
happens with Cleveland, too ... most think of it as an urban wasteland.
Cleveland actually has enormous wealth tho, an amazing array of cultural venues, spacious suburbs & city neighborhoods ... and the same elements can be discovered in Columbus, too!
But overall Cleveland is more urban than Columbus, right?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
But overall Cleveland is more urban than Columbus, right?

Cleveland is a much, much more urban city than Columbus. Cleveland, historically has always been the most prominent city in the state, it has a very colourful and rich history.
It's a city that was once an industrial "GIANT", and it was during those golden years that the city was afforded the grand institutions that are still
in place today ...
The Cleveland Museum Of Art, Severence Hall ( Cleveland Orchestra ), University Circle, an area where a large concentration of cultural institutions are located.
There are reminders of Clevelands immense wealth and importance displayed throughout the city.
Cleveland looks the part of a major city that has very much played a significant role in shaping our country ... much like Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit and other major cities of the region.

Columbus is urban too, but not to same degree as Cleveland is. Columbus has a newer blend of "urbanity" and is becoming more and more of a "yuppified" metropolis.
I'm beginning to see more BMWS, LAND ROVERS and MERCEDES than Chevrolets ... all over Columbus, most particularly in the urban wards located nearest to the city centre.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:00 PM

571 posts, read 943,301 times
Cleveland is much more older, historical, artsy, and more urban than Columbus is/was. Great Cleveland is full of large families, old money, Italians, Catholics, hipsters/yuppies, and liberals: in this respect Northeast Ohio is actually much more like New England than the Midwest. However, it is suffering, and that's putting it nicely.

Cincinnatti is very Southern & Republican. The city bleeds red. It's also the prettiest, by far and away.

Columbus is a midwestern city through and through. It's moderate and vibrant and economically healthy. Tons of young people, young families, college students, retirees, whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, gays, conservatives, liberals, Christians, atheists, Muslims, and the best part is, not one group is dominant which makes it a true melting pot.

I've never been to Indy, but I'd vote for Columbus since Ohio is a bit better than Indiana; more exciting (about as exciting as the Midwest gets, at least) and with better cities overall.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I've never been to Indy
Then you have no basis for judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City