Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 11:48 AM

948 posts, read 568,077 times

Advertisements

A lot of people move to Orlando, and I don't get the appeal. Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Palm Beach are all more beautiful, have better culture and nightlife. Why move to Florida if you are not going to be on the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 12:11 PM

503 posts, read 801,000 times
Well Orlando offers tons of amenities for a much cheaper price. World class shopping, cheaper housing, a decent nightlife. Plus it's not really a slouch in the beauty department (It is "The City Beautiful" after all) and it's close enough to the beach if one doesn't mind driving 50-60 mins

Old 12-30-2020, 12:13 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Personal preference. I lived in Orlando for a year and visited the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area for research several times. We LOVED Orlando. I personally found Orlando more attractive overall. Orlando is noticeably less expensive. Within a 45-60 radius, there's actually more to do around Orlando. We love theme parks, so that's a plus. People in Orlando are friendlier and seem happier. To indicate that the only reason to move to Florida is to have a beach at your back door ignores everything else Orlando (and every other place in the state) has to offer. You have the Atlantic 45 miles to the east.

So, for me, I would have zero desire to live anywhere in South Florida. If my wife and I were to ever move from where we live now (Charlotte. We plan on staying here for good), we would head back somewhere along the Orlando/Tampa Bay corridor along I-4. Again, personal preference.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
A lot of people move to Orlando, and I don't get the appeal. Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Palm Beach are all more beautiful, have better culture and nightlife. Why move to Florida if you are not going to be on the beach?
Orlando is more desirable than South Florida to many people, as the growth rates show. Part of it is to escape the brunt of Hurricanes, part of it is affordability (which is disappearing fast), part of it is a somewhat more laid back lifestyle. And don't sell Orlando short in the beauty and culture department. There is a viable, functioning metro area of over 2 million there that has nothing to do with things south of the Turnpike.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:52 PM

747 posts, read 498,664 times
Quote:
Anywhere in Florida is pretty close to a beach. Tampa and Jacksonville are similar to Orlando in this regard: each city center is between 30-45 minutes from the beaches.

Culture is subjective isn’t it? No offense meant, but I personally wouldn’t want to live in the Caribbean or South America, and that’s why I would prefer not to live in Miami.

Nightlife may be important to some, but most people in the world do not care for clubbing and partying. The people whom it’s important to likely choose Miami over Orlando.

I think the simple answer is people who move to Orlando (or Tampa for that matter) don’t want to live in Miami and deal with all of Florida’s problems wrapped up into one city. For most people moving to Orlando, they do so for close access to theme parks, suburban living, and not having to live in a huge city. Same applies to Tampa. Both metros have been growing faster than Miami for years now.

Also, Orlando has plenty of beauty. Sadly, many visitors don’t know about it because they only go south of the Turnpike.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Cost is clearly a determining factor for many, and Orlando is less expensive.
Personally, I wouldn't live anywhere in Florida other than where I am, but that's just me. Others will have their own preferences and priorities.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Miami is more cosmopolitan and a world city in terms of culture as well as economic clout. Not everyone is able or willing to live in that "always on" kind of environment and prefer sleepier suburban type living which is what Orlando or Tampa provide. There's no right or wrong answer, just individual preference.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:38 PM

515 posts, read 253,381 times
well its less expensive than Miami and for a lot of people who prefer a more chill vibe Orlando is a better fit than Miami. While Orlando does have its own problems, its got less of them than Miami right now, and is currently progressing as a city pretty quickly. Miami may be prettier but Orlando is no slouch (Lake Eola in particular) and the beach is only about 50-60 minutes.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:18 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Quote:
Because you are Puerto Rican and not Cuban?

Old 12-30-2020, 03:25 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Lots of people like the Florida weather yet aren't beach people. Even in Florida there are lots of people that enjoy water activities that aren't especially ocean people. Plus Orlando is convenient to lots of places, even the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City