Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,626,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Knoxville, TN.
We're in the middle of the "Great Lakes of the South" thanks to the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and several big rivers -- the Tennessee, Clinch, French Broad/Holston. It's hard to be more than a few minute from a marina or a public launch. Homes on the rivers/lakes with their own docks are plentiful.
Sea-Ray had relocated their corporate headquarters here. The University of Tennessee, located in downtown Knoxville, has one of only two football statdiums where fans can boat into the games. They're the Vols Navy.
Vol Navy Boaters' Association
And it is possible to go from Knoxville to Mobile Bay by boat.
TVA: Navigation on the Tennessee River
You don't have to drive hours to get to the water. About 15 minutes or less will do it from just about anywhere in Knoxville. For canoes and kayaks, there are "blue ways" like green ways but for boaters, with launch/takouts all along the river.

Gettin a lot of these pullin' up to your 'Great Lakes of the South?'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,894,308 times
Boating is huge in Milwaukee - a city with over 22,000 square miles of open water.

Great Lakes Scuttlebutt - Boating Community (http://www.greatlakesscuttlebutt.com/home-page-article.php?ID=372 - broken link)

Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,720,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I would also guess a lot of boats down there are registered to addresses that are actually vacation properties whose owners have their cars registered in their home states.
You just described my aunt and uncle's situation. They live in Michigan and fly into the keys about twice a year. They own a house on the water and have a boat down there too.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,640 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ft. Myer's / Naples way better boating than Miami. Seeing a photo of a beach does not equate to good boating.

Also unless we're only talking Continental, where is the love for Puerto Rico and Hawaii?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM

404 posts, read 590,882 times
Ft. Lauderdale

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
South Florida pretty much eliminates the competition. Fort Lauderdale has all the canals and the most boating ammenities. Miami is the place to show off your fly speed boat or luxury yacht. The boat shows down there are unparalled. They hire hot girls dressed in skimpy bikinis to model the boats and flirt with potential buyers.

Seattle deserves strong recognition. It has salt water (Puget Sound) and fresh water (lake Union & Lake Washington) which are connected by locks. I did 4th of July on Lake Union in Seattle and had a phenominal time, a lot of fun.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 PM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
I can't believe no one has mentioned Omaha! It is on the Missouri River for Christ sake!!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned Omaha! It is on the Missouri River for Christ sake!!
The only thing Omaha has ever been on my radar for is Omaha steaks. There are several large cities on big rivers in this country. I don't usually see inland midwestern rivers in boating magazines.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:37 PM

40 posts, read 170,937 times
Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,633,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Gettin a lot of these pullin' up to your 'Great Lakes of the South?'

What's it to ya, eh? Living up there in Canadia--er, Minnesooouta, where it's below freezing 9 months out of the year? Yeah, boaters paradise.

Just go to the hockey game instead!

And, actually, Knoxville was ranked third in the nation for "Places to live and boat." Several, several boat companies are based here. Sea Ray, Mastercraft, and Bayliner are what come to my mind quickly. There are more.

And as a matter of fact, while on the lake the other week (you know, because we don't have to wait until it finally hits 80 in mid July to get out on the lake) a ship that was twice the size of that passed us as we were lounging FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City