Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 AM

33 posts, read 74,758 times

Advertisements

I come from the mid west. I am tired of hearing that the South, Texas and the southwest have a "better" climate. I like warm weather, but I don't like being overwhelmed with insects, 110 degree warm weather, poisonous snakes, scorpions, hurricanes and the many other problems that are directly tied to the "better" warm weather.

I have spent extended time in both the hot and humid south and the hot and dry southwest and I would choose the 4 season midwest/northeast climate (as a home) over either. Which do you find less miserable: places with "year round" warmth or places with winter?

Please attempt to see the big picture before you choose (its obvious that most people, me included, prefer a 70 degree day over a 4 degree day. I am asking you to be fair and consider the advantages and disadvantages that are less obvious. For example an advantage of the "cold" side would be long warm summer days while a disadvantage of the "warm" side would be cool winter nights beginning at 4:30pm and miserable summer heat and humidity or miserable summer heat and draught)

I am not wishing to snub other climates. I have only lived in the 3 climates I have mentioned. My thought comes from an article on "miserable cities" trashing the midwest and northeast because of winter while praising the southern half of the country because of warm weather. Ideally I would live in Southern California or New Zealand from mid January to late April and in the 4 season climate of the midwest and northeast the rest of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Most places that are boasted as having "year round" warm weather aren't even warm year round - they have winters...just milder winters.

Anyway, I prefer mild winters to harsh winters, but it's not a necessity - I can live anywhere as long as I'm happy.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,461 times
I like the idea of being warm all the time, but I know if I lived in that environment I'd miss the snow. I need to see a decent amount of snow every year. So my answer is I'd be "less miserable" in a place with winter.

I completely and totally agree with the OP that I do not see the fascination with living in a climate with major bugs, hurricanes, etc. Good post.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
I like year round warmth. I've done the snow thing and it is overrated to me. Just as a mild winter is to some. If it could snow for about 2 or 3 day before and on Christmas day, then go back to being warm, that would be great. But I can't stand snow or even temps below 40 for to long.

That whole bug thing seems pretty dumb to me though. We might have a larger variety of bugs, but I have visited areas up north where the bugs were 10 times worst then in FL.

And our hurricane equal your blizzards. If you have never been through a Hurricane, don't knock it. Kids get a day or 2 off school, you get out of work, the weather cools off for about 1 or 2 weeks depending on how fast the Hurricane is moving. Everyone is throwing hurricane parties. Its not all bad.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:50 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,241 times
I prefer Year round warmth, I not a big fan of cold.

Be cool, and Keep it clean-Californialove24

Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by constantly gardening View Post
I come from the mid west. I am tired of hearing that the South, Texas and the southwest have a "better" climate. I like warm weather, but I don't like being overwhelmed with insects, 110 degree warm weather, poisonous snakes, scorpions, hurricanes and the many other problems that are directly tied to the "better" warm weather.

I have spent extended time in both the hot and humid south and the hot and dry southwest and I would choose the 4 season midwest/northeast climate (as a home) over either. Which do you find less miserable: places with "year round" warmth or places with winter?

Please attempt to see the big picture before you choose (its obvious that most people, me included, prefer a 70 degree day over a 4 degree day. I am asking you to be fair and consider the advantages and disadvantages that are less obvious. For example an advantage of the "cold" side would be long warm summer days while a disadvantage of the "warm" side would be cool winter nights beginning at 4:30pm and miserable summer heat and humidity or miserable summer heat and draught)

I am not wishing to snub other climates. I have only lived in the 3 climates I have mentioned. My thought comes from an article on "miserable cities" trashing the midwest and northeast because of winter while praising the southern half of the country because of warm weather. Ideally I would live in Southern California or New Zealand from mid January to late April and in the 4 season climate of the midwest and northeast the rest of the time.

I know. So many people in the deep south think we're jealous of their weather. They like to assume everyone wants warmer weather. This is especially true with Floridians.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I would take the weather in the northeast over the southernmost south, I'd take California weather over the NE though.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
I prefer weather in the Southwest over anywhere else. However, snow is nice once or twice a year.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
The average high here in MS is 90 during the summer and 55 in the winter. We have on average 215 sunny/partly sunny days a year. We have bugs, but most of them don't bother humans. I'm far enough inland that 98% of hurricanes do not affect me at all. I never have to shovel snow. I don't like being cold, therefore I like it here.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I know. So many people in the deep south think we're jealous of their weather. They like to assume everyone wants warmer weather. This is especially true with Floridians.
This is so true, its hallarious. I actually feel sorry for them most of the time. Especially when they talk about their salaries I love winter and would not have it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City