Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is the most futuristic city?
Dallas 39 17.03%
Houston 30 13.10%
Atlanta 37 16.16%
Las Vegas 41 17.90%
Los Angeles 30 13.10%
Phoenix 12 5.24%
Charlotte 11 4.80%
Miami 29 12.66%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth is sitting on some serious cash from the barnett shale (natural gas) with those 9 billionaires that basically run downtown Fort Worth. Its coming its just a matter of time. The city main concern is this trinity river project (Will expand the downtown region) and making the city more pedestrian friendly.
I hope in the next 10 years,Fort Worth will have a skyscraper boom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Fort Worth is sitting on some serious cash from the barnett shale (natural gas) with those 9 billionaires that basically run downtown Fort Worth. Its coming its just a matter of time. The city main concern is this trinity river project (Will exapand the downtown region) and making the city more pedestrian friendly.
Yeah I think transportation is the main concern for all Texas cities (besides El Paso, I don't think they care lol). I know in DFW they're going through some massive commuter rail expansions, right?

In Austin, they're trying to fix the traffic problem, the city took in a lot more people than it could keep up with.

San Antonio is fixing up it's road systems and trying to get Amtrak extended.

Houston has a boat load of projects that have been approved. The light rail services is adding 4 more lines, they're going to build a commuter rail; it's been approved but it'll take 15 years. And they're working on their third loop (SH-99).

Texas is spending some big bucks here on transportation.

Yeah Fort Worth is going to see a lot of construction projects later on this decade. The way it's growing it's the second fastest city by growth in Texas, only after Austin.

It's getting interesting down here in the Lone Star State, definitely the time period you wouldn't want to miss living here!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Do you really think Fort Worth is blind to the skyscraper boom down in Austin? There will be a similar skyscraper boom in Fort Worth in the future.
I want Fort Worth to build more skyscrapers so bad!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I think transportation is the main concern for all Texas cities (besides El Paso, I don't think they care lol). I know in DFW they're going through some massive commuter rail expansions, right?

In Austin, they're trying to fix the traffic problem, the city took in a lot more people than it could keep up with.

San Antonio is fixing up it's road systems and trying to get Amtrak extended.

Houston has a boat load of projects that have been approved. The light rail services is adding 4 more lines, they're going to build a commuter rail; it's been approved but it'll take 15 years. And they're working on their third loop (SH-99).

Texas is spending some big bucks here on transportation.

Yeah Fort Worth is going to see a lot of construction projects later on this decade. The way it's growing it's the second fastest city by growth in Texas, only after Austin.

It's getting interesting down here in the Lone Star State, definitely the time period you wouldn't want to miss living here!
You would think with all this growth Fort Worth would be building like crazy!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
The only major skyscraper in Dallas that are in the works is the Museum Tower. I thought I was the only person on City Data who go on skyscraperpage and skyscrapercity!
Haha no dude, I discovered skyscraperpage in 7th grade, it was nearly 7 years ago.

My friend Dylan is the co owner of skyscraperpage.com so he keeps me informed on new proposals and constructions.

Yeah Houston has some towers coming up also, but nothing to great, just the same old same old, 50 story business.

I do have to admit though, being a skyscraper fanatic that I am, I'm kind of happy our state isn't throwing cash in the skyscraper boom, call it selfish, but saving money during times of economic hardships is something Texas is good at. Miami got to ahead of itself with the building boom, I love what they did to the city, but it really hit them hard during the recession.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Haha no dude, I discovered skyscraperpage in 7th grade, it was nearly 7 years ago.

My friend Dylan is the co owner of skyscraperpage.com so he keeps me informed on new proposals and constructions.

Yeah Houston has some towers coming up also, but nothing to great, just the same old same old, 50 story business.

I do have to admit though, being a skyscraper fanatic that I am, I'm kind of happy our state isn't throwing cash in the skyscraper boom, call it selfish, but saving money during times of economic hardships is something Texas is good at. Miami got to ahead of itself with the building boom, I love what they did to the city, but it really hit them hard during the recession.
I am a skyscraper fanatic too, I can look up skyscrapers for hours and hours!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I am a skyscraper fanatic too, I can look up skyscrapers for hours and hours!
Dude, I do that as well! I even dream about skyscrapers sometimes.

The most depressing thing about it is this; you see all these other countries in the world building taller and taller, and they basically stole skyscrapers from us. Skyscrapers are an American thing, like football, it was born here in Chicago. And you see cities like Nanjing, Xian, and other cities no one's ever heard of building taller than our cities. It's quite depressing actually...

I'm not hating on these other places, but we really need to pick up our game here... I really do hope they continue with the Spire in Chicago...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Dude, I do that as well! I even dream about skyscrapers sometimes.

The most depressing thing about it is this; you see all these other countries in the world building taller and taller, and they basically stole skyscrapers from us. Skyscrapers are an American thing, like football, it was born here in Chicago. And you see cities like Nanjing, Xian, and other cities no one's ever heard of building taller than our cities. It's quite depressing actually...

I'm not hating on these other places, but we really need to pick up our game here... I really do hope they continue with the Spire in Chicago...
I know, it seem like the skyscrapers in America are not as tall as it use to be. I cannot wait until One World Trade Center is completed, it will finally take the title from the Willis Tower.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I know, it seem like the skyscrapers in America are not as tall as it use to be. I cannot wait until One World Trade Center is completed, it will finally take the title from the Willis Tower.
New York best hope that Chicago doesn't continue with that Spire, otherwise that title will only be there for a short time, like toys in a happy meal, they're only for limited time.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM

185 posts, read 734,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumx View Post
After I came down from the roof of the Miami Tower earlier today, which used to be Bank of America regional headquarters until recently, I asked some of the Met2 hardhats about Met3. They said it would probably start construction in 2011. Met3 is supposedly going to be 828 feet tall. Brickell Financial Center II is the one that is supposed to be 903 feet. I know of no scheduled start date for that one. Before I shot from the roof of the Miami tower earlier today, I dropped by the development company that is behind our new signature tower One Bayfront Plaza which will be 1,010 feet tall with an observation deck. They said construction is now scheduled to begin in 2012 rather than 2011, but OBP is still a go.
One I forgot to mention is the Banco Santander tower which will be at 1401 Brickell Avenue. It will be 840 feet tall. Banco Santander says they are not concerned about financing either because they are one of the strongest banks in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City