Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Wes Craven was repeatitive also.. He didn't do much but make horror movies all the time.. Everybody always talking about Tyler Perry is getting tiresome but he always does well in the box office.. So alot of people still love his movies .. I just went to his last play and that place was packed to capacity..
his plays are good, but his movies and shows aren't as much (meet the browns is only okay)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
I admire Tyler Perry's business acumen and hustle, but I don't really care for his TV shows. His movies are hit or miss, but his plays are entertaining because they improvise a LOT.

I saw "Why Did I Get Married Too", and with the way Janet Jackson was over-acting in that movie, I bet TP isn't too far from making a horror flick. That would be hilarious.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I admire Tyler Perry's business acumen and hustle, but I don't really care for his TV shows. His movies are hit or miss, but his plays are entertaining because they improvise a LOT.

I saw "Why Did I Get Married Too", and with the way Janet Jackson was over-acting in that movie, I bet TP isn't too far from making a horror flick. That would be hilarious.
here's my take on his movies: the first two (diary and family reunion) were actually pretty good, and to this date are his only culturally significant films. why did i get married, i admit i did like it because it was a good looking movie and it was something new. it also had it's real funny parts. but once the novelty wears off, you realize its not that great of a movie. pretty silly, in fact

the rest of his movies i don't care for, though. in fact, he's made so many back to back i can't even think of them all. the story lines are so hackneyed and soap opera like. i can do bad was just terrible. i actually CRINGED at some scenes, and i can't believe i even made it thru the whole movie.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
here's my take on his movies: the first two (diary and family reunion) were actually pretty good, and to this date are his only culturally significant films. why did i get married, i admit i did like it because it was a good looking movie and it was something new. it also had it's real funny parts

the rest of his movies i don't care for, though. in fact, he's made so many back to back i can't even think of them all. the story lines are so hackneyed and soap opera like. i can do bad was just terrible. i actually CRINGED at some scenes, and i can't believe i even made it thru the whole movie.
Same here. I've always thought that Tyler Perry missed his true calling as a soap opera writer. His over-the-top scenes and out-of-nowhere, everything-in-the-kitchen-sink plot switches are more appropriate for soap operas than a 2-hour movie or a TV show.

I think he's overextended and overworked, juggling too many things. He doesn't hire union writers from LA either. I'm not trying to say that LA writers are much better (given the crap TV shows nowadays), but I think it wouldn't hurt to bring in some help.

But he knows who breads his butter and what works, since his movies do make money. I think my mom is one the few churchgoing black woman in her fifties that doesn't like Tyler Perry. My Dad is happy with that, because he doesn't care for his movies that much either, so he doesn't have to be dragged to the theater, LOL

Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,937,569 times
I have mixed feelings about Tyler Perry. I feel like some of his films get a bit old, but at the same time he knows what makes him money.

I do know quite a few black people that think his shows are minstrel like but I won't go into all that.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You can't go wrong with either one of them imo.

In the South: Check
Big city amenities: Check
High Black Population: Check
Close proximity to other nice places: Check (Atlanta to Charlotte NC, Myrtle Beach SC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA and Houston to Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, South Padre Island)

I'm from Texas so of course i'm gonna say Houston but Atlanta is no loser.
Why do Texans feel this bizarre obligation to be so fiercely loyal to their state? It's almost like you don't question it, its just the "Texan" thing to do. I will never understand that mentality.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Why do Texans feel this bizarre obligation to be so fiercely loyal to their state? It's almost like you don't question it, its just the "Texan" thing to do. I will never understand that mentality.
Where in that post did you feel the need to make a post discussing his supposed bizarre obligation to his loyalty to Texas? Why does it matter anyway? But in his post, he didn't knock Atlanta but just gave him information about Houston.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:39 PM

324 posts, read 656,380 times
I'm one of the people on this forum that like tyler Perry.. My favorite were I can do bad all by myself and family that preys.. I'm not going to down play him especially where he is now and where he came from... He has had some notable people that has worked with him in his movies... He has given some people a chance to be in the spotlight and show there talent.. Kudos to Tyler Perry

Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I'm one of the people on this forum that like tyler Perry.. My favorite were I can do bad all by myself and family that preys.. I'm not going to down play him especially where he is now and where he came from... He has had some notable people that has worked with him in his movies... He has given some people a chance to be in the spotlight and show there talent.. Kudos to Tyler Perry
No one is knocking TP's hustle or success; however, his movies are getting predictable and tired. I love his stage plays though.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No one is knocking TP's hustle or success; however, his movies are getting predictable and tired. I love his stage plays though.
exactly. no one here is saying they don't like tyler perry. we just don't like his movies

i only wanna see why did i get married 2 so i can look at keyshia cole and monica lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City