Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Atlanta is lacking diversity! I like to see all races of people in a city. And it is very southern. The accents, the attitude, the landscape, etc. It's just not my thing.
Well your opinion fine.But you cannot tell me that Atlanta is lacking in diversity to the point that Houston is like NYC or LA.No matter how many times you Houston people keep repeating it.Anyone from San Fran,NYC or even Chicago will not tell you after visiting either Atlanta,Houston,or Dallas that they are NOT worlds apart.That is my issue with these statements being made as if ANY of these city are leaps and bounds in any category over the other.The region is so incredibly fluid the only difference you see is more Mexican/Central Americans than Blacks in either city.More Koreans in Atlanta and more Vietnamese in Houston.

When you can tell me something Atlanta does not have that Houston has or vice a versa.(Diversity wise).That would be more understandable reasoning than you looking around and taking a cursory glance and forming a short sighted opinion.

The other things is that after all my travels around the world,I can honestly say that "accents" are the last thing that annoy me about ANY place.I frankly do not understand how anyone could say that they do find them distasteful.Especially when its part of the "local color" of the region.Generally speaking when someone mentions something like that,they have deeper issues than such trivial things.

I mean really.Attitudes and accents do not just stop at the county or state lines.

That said I understand something that is "just not your thing".Like BigMama always said;"every thang ain't for everybody"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:28 AM

324 posts, read 656,380 times
It will not be long until this thread is closed... Everytime there is a Houston vs Atlanta it turns into world war 3... The cities are more alike than different.. Can we all just agree to that... Everyone posting all these opinions.. it's not
going to change either parties opinion about either city... Niether city is lacking there both very desirable cities if they were not then I don't think either city would have the importance and population they have.. Diversity is over rated.... These immagrants are going to take over soon anyway.. These people come over here to take advantage of the so called American dream.. If they were so into diversity as we Americans try to be then they wouldn't have all these ethinic nieghborhoods.. That sounds segragated too me.. People on this forum do not give Atlanta the credit that it is due.. No matter what this city accomplishes people still love to downplay the city.. I love Atl baby and I always will... At the end of the day this site boils down too opinion not facts... If people would research before they post then we would have less disfunctional attitudes and bias statements on this board..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,631,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
It will not be long until this thread is closed... Everytime there is a Houston vs Atlanta it turns into world war 3... The cities are more alike than different.. Can we all just agree to that... Everyone posting all these opinions.. it's not
going to change either parties opinion about either city... Niether city is lacking there both very desirable cities if they were not then I don't think either city would have the importance and population they have.. Diversity is over rated.... These immagrants are going to take over soon anyway.. These people come over here to take advantage of the so called American dream.. If they were so into diversity as we Americans try to be then they wouldn't have all these ethinic nieghborhoods.. That sounds segragated too me.. People on this forum do not give Atlanta the credit that it is due.. No matter what this city accomplishes people still love to downplay the city.. I love Atl baby and I always will... At the end of the day this site boils down too opinion not facts... If people would research before they post then we would have less disfunctional attitudes and bias statements on this board..
+1 for you. I totally agree.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well your opinion fine.But you cannot tell me that Atlanta is lacking in diversity to the point that Houston is like NYC or LA.No matter how many times you Houston people keep repeating it.Anyone from San Fran,NYC or even Chicago will not tell you after visiting either Atlanta,Houston,or Dallas that they are NOT worlds apart.That is my issue with these statements being made as if ANY of these city are leaps and bounds in any category over the other.The region is so incredibly fluid the only difference you see is more Mexican/Central Americans than Blacks in either city.More Koreans in Atlanta and more Vietnamese in Houston.

When you can tell me something Atlanta does not have that Houston has or vice a versa.(Diversity wise).That would be more understandable reasoning than you looking around and taking a cursory glance and forming a short sighted opinion.

The other things is that after all my travels around the world,I can honestly say that "accents" are the last thing that annoy me about ANY place.I frankly do not understand how anyone could say that they do find them distasteful.Especially when its part of the "local color" of the region.Generally speaking when someone mentions something like that,they have deeper issues than such trivial things.

I mean really.Attitudes and accents do not just stop at the county or state lines.

That said I understand something that is "just not your thing".Like BigMama always said;"every thang ain't for everybody"
and even if someone did attempt to make some sort of list where they feel houston tops atlanta, how could we be sure that you or someone else wouldn't try to twist things around to make it seem like atlanta is still equal or more?

no offense, but i've seen discussions where houstonians have stated the fact that houston has a much more massive skyline, and there were atlantans that tried to argue that

i think both cities beat each other in numerous ways, and no, i don't really view them as "equal". houston just feels more global and more "big city". when i visited houston coming from san antonio, heading east on the katy freeway, i felt like i was driving into the biggest city in the world

Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
I see this is going to be another one of those threads. But before I leave, I will add that arguing over personal perceptions and thinking that personal opinions and preferences are the gospel and truth is pretty futile in the scheme of things.

I will say that Houston is more diverse and cosmopolitan than Atlanta, but it's not as if Atlanta is an average White/Black southern town like certain posters are trying to imply. The metro area is a lot more cosmopolitan than people give it credit for.

The Dallas/Houston/Atlanta threads always wind up getting bogged down in silly semantics. Believe me, the cities are a lot more alike than they are different. Houston's largest difference from Atlanta is that it's closer to the coast and more industrial/blue collar.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,437,074 times
IMHO...HOUSTON, over Atlanta.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 PM

647 posts, read 1,416,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I see this is going to be another one of those threads. But before I leave, I will add that arguing over personal perceptions and thinking that personal opinions and preferences are the gospel and truth is pretty futile in the scheme of things.

I will say that Houston is more diverse and cosmopolitan than Atlanta, but it's not as if Atlanta is an average White/Black southern town like certain posters are trying to imply. The metro area is a lot more cosmopolitan than people give it credit for.

The Dallas/Houston/Atlanta threads always wind up getting bogged down in silly semantics. Believe me, the cities are a lot more alike than they are different. Houston's largest difference from Atlanta is that it's closer to the coast and more industrial/blue collar.
Nuff said....The thread is closed.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Nuff said....The thread is closed.
by the powers vested in...you?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and even if someone did attempt to make some sort of list where they feel houston tops atlanta, how could we be sure that you or someone else wouldn't try to twist things around to make it seem like atlanta is still equal or more?

no offense, but i've seen discussions where houstonians have stated the fact that houston has a much more massive skyline, and there were atlantans that tried to argue that

i think both cities beat each other in numerous ways, and no, i don't really view them as "equal". houston just feels more global and more "big city". when i visited houston coming from san antonio, heading east on the katy freeway, i felt like i was driving into the biggest city in the world
Well like I said.Its a matter of personal taste you CANNOT argue with someone about.But when statements are made about this place is full of "rednecks" when both cities are in regions where rednecks in the past grew on trees is really disingenuous for someone to claim or make false assumptions about one is FAR worse than the other.

The other thing that drives me up the wall is when someone says so many negative things about a place and when asked more about their thoughts,it becomes obvious that their is another reason than the one they are actually claiming.

Its not like either side does not have their detractors.Their is enough falsehoods spread on both sides.As for myself, I think alot before I write.Sometimes i admit I may state something just to stir a boring thread up,But I always try to be truthful and I have no problem admitting if and when I am wrong.My pride is for the city i live in,but I am very realistic about what I see for the future of Atlanta and how it competes with other cities.

So if I argue with you about whether Atlanta is more globally connected than say Houston ,I can honestly say that they FEEL the exact same when it comes to that in my opinion.Also if i wanted to make the case for Atlanta I would also say that there is more than enough surveys,data from world wise source that have Atlanta ranked usually just behind (or among) Boston,San Francisco,or both.I always give the same data and reasons why but no one has yet to acknowledge those sources.

(Not directed at you,just a general statement)>>>So forget what I say,but if I can provide things to support my reasoning then dont act like I am the one making up stuff like Im the delusional one!!LOL.Even if you still don't like the sources,you can still see that there is some evidence to support whatever notions about the subject at hand.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 AM

324 posts, read 656,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well like I said.Its a matter of personal taste you CANNOT argue with someone about.But when statements are made about this place is full of "rednecks" when both cities are in regions where rednecks in the past grew on trees is really disingenuous for someone to claim or make false assumptions about one is FAR worse than the other.

The other thing that drives me up the wall is when someone says so many negative things about a place and when asked more about their thoughts,it becomes obvious that their is another reason than the one they are actually claiming.

Its not like either side does not have their detractors.Their is enough falsehoods spread on both sides.As for myself, I think alot before I write.Sometimes i admit I may state something just to stir a boring thread up,But I always try to be truthful and I have no problem admitting if and when I am wrong.My pride is for the city i live in,but I am very realistic about what I see for the future of Atlanta and how it competes with other cities.

So if I argue with you about whether Atlanta is more globally connected than say Houston ,I can honestly say that they FEEL the exact same when it comes
to that in my opinion.Also if i wanted to make the case for Atlanta I would
also say that there is more than enough surveys,data from world wise source
that have Atlanta ranked usually just behind (or among) Boston,SanFrancisco,or both.I always give the same data and reasons why but
no one has yet to acknowledge those sources

(Not directed at you,just a general statement)>>>So forget what I say,but if I can provide things to support my reasoning then dont act like I am the one
making up stuff like Im the delusional one!!LOL.Even if you still don't like the
sources,you can still see that there is some evidence to support whatever
notions about the subject at hand.

Great great post.. This is what needed to be said a long time ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City