Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more diverse
Chicago 35 66.04%
Houston 18 33.96%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,470,485 times

Advertisements

Both of these cities are more or less known for their diversity. Chicago has a lot of ethnic diversity, while Houston has a lot of racial diversity. Overall, which do you think is more diverse (take into account of restaurants, shops, people, congregations, among others).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times
How is Chicago not racially diverse?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Both of these cities are more or less known for their diversity. Chicago has a lot of ethnic diversity, while Houston has a lot of racial diversity. Overall, which do you think is more diverse (take into account of restaurants, shops, people, congregations, among others).
Looking at statistics; I think it could go either way. Giving Chicago the edge though.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,775,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Chicago is still having issues overcoming its reputation for being segregated, but its not nearly as bad as many people on this site play it out to be.

I would say though that Houston has an edge on Chicago in terms of actual diversity.

But I would also say that Chicago has quite a large edge on Houston when it comes to ethnic diversity in restaurants, shops, and people.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:43 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Both are very close to each other. In fact, going by city limits, they are pretty identical.
From quickfacts.
Chicago
Whites 42%
Blacks 36.8%
American Indian 0.4%
Pacific Islander 0.1%
Asian 4.3%
Hispanic 26%
Two or more races 2.9%

Houston
Whites 49.3%
Blacks 25.3%
American Indian 0.4%
Pacific Islander 0.1%
Asian 5.3 %
Hispanic 36%
Two or more races 3.1%

Chicago's black percentage is like Houston's Hispanic percentage and Houston's Black percentage is like Chicago's Hispanic percentage. Very interesting.

Now Chicago has a larger Ethnic population. They have a large Italian and Polish (largest in the US) population. Houston has a large English and German population but the presence is not as large as the two I mentioned for Chicago. Chicago also has more Mexicans (SHOCKING but only as of 2000) and Puerto Ricans. Houston has more Salvadorans and Central Americans. I think Houston actually wins in this department but barely. I could go on and on. But they are very similar so it's hard to say which city is more diverse. I give the edge slightly to Chicago. Very slightly.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
I've never been to Chicago so I don't feel I can give an accurate none bias conclusion as to which is more diverse, but based on the numbers they look VERY close.This should be an interesting thread.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,120,855 times
Ummm...Chicago. I think they're both really diverse, but I think Chicago probably has the edge, particularly in regards to Caucasian ethnic/nationality diversity. Moreover, I believe Chicago does a better job of showcasing it's diversity, especially because of it's ethnic enclaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I've never been to Chicago so I don't feel I can give an accurate none bias conclusion as to which is more diverse, but based on the numbers they look VERY close.This should be an interesting thread.
What an honest post. Most people have never been to Houston, but they're going to vote anyway. lol

Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
I have been and have spent a fair amount of time in both and there seems to more cohesion in Chicago even there are more compressed it just gives the feel. Seeing the stats it shows basically the same but in feel Chicago evidences it in life more. Maybe the core of the city as the central appeal to people of all backgrounds showcases this more, not sure

I chose Chicago

Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,470,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
How is Chicago not racially diverse?
I didn't say Chicago wasn't racially diverse. I just felt Houston has a little more racial diversity, while Chicago had more ethnic diversity.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
What an honest post. Most people have never been to Houston, but they're going to vote anyway. lol
lol! very true. I did take a peak at the polls (with out voting) and it looks like Chicago is winning by a landslide even though it would appear the two cities are actually very close in diversity. I guess "diversity" isn't the first thing that comes to most peoples mind when most people think of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City