Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Westerners.

Much more approachable, truly are laid-back, open-minded, and all around great people. Southerners are friendly people, but they also can be very judgmental and a little ignorant about certain topics. I've noticed from major southerners cities like Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas (Mostly Houston and Atlanta). The people can be very cold and stuck up; the way people act in these cities; you'd think they were in New York trying to live the big city fast paced life when in reality it is unnecessary. The people from the major cities in CA are some of the coolest people I've ever met. Very chilled and sociable.
Completely agree. I tend to prefer the laid-back and congenial attitude of places like Seattle and Denver over the ostensibly friendly but judgmental attitudes prevalent in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Completely agree. I tend to prefer the laid-back and congenial attitude of places like Seattle and Denver over the ostensibly friendly but judgmental attitudes prevalent in the south.
Judgemental attitudes are prevalent everywhere. To know why the SOuth has so many churches one needs to understand the history of the South.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
People from California tend to be pretty out going and love to talk.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:13 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Judgemental attitudes are prevalent everywhere. To know why the SOuth has so many churches one needs to understand the history of the South.
But more prevalent in the south. Regardless of how churches came about in the south, one could argue that the traditionalist culture centered around the southern "church" is precisely what (at least in part) causes many southerners to be as judgmental as they are. Of course there are exceptions.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
People from California tend to be pretty out going and love to talk.
Yes they do!

They are very easy to talk to and get along with. You talk to southerners (specifically black Houstonians and ATliens!) they look at you up and down and stare at you as if your from a completely different planet.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
But more prevalent in the south. Regardless of how churches came about in the south, one could argue that the traditionalist culture centered around the southern "church" is precisely what (at least in part) causes many southerners to be as judgmental as they are. Of course there are exceptions.
Your statement is very hard to quantify. You assume that since the South has more churches that this equates to more judgemental. But I digress...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
This may irritate some people but my guess about Southern religion being judgmental is due to the high number of Baptists\ evangelicals. Those denominations tend to see the Bible as the penal code & also feel compelled to "save" sinners. In parts of the country where that type of Protestants are not very prevalent it seems people are a lot less "judgment day" oriented.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 AM

292 posts, read 725,176 times
I would say the West. Despite the rigors of life that exist everywhere, just driving through scenery is enough to calm somebody down. Go to ungentrified small mountain towns in places like Colorado and Montana and you'll notice the tranquility in the people. As far as big cities go like Phoenix, when any populated place gets large enough eventually everybody acts like a jerk.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangel View Post
I am wondering from your experiences, do you find the westerners or southerners more friendly ?

I am comparing this:

West: Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada

to

South: Georgia, Tennesee, North Carolina, South Carolina

I want to know what your thoughts are on these general areas, and if you have noticed the people more down to earth and friendly in one region over another. If you can be specific as to what state/town you have had certain memorable encounters (bad or good) please list them....

Thanks...
Neither one, especially since we're living in the cell-phone/texting/hand held device era.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Both are friendly. However I know personally I feel like a friendlier guy being in the West. The big mountains, open horizons, wide open spaces, beautiful urban settings, and natural superlatives out west just lift my spirit a bit higher. So when socializing out there, it must be contagious because I feel a mutual level of friendliness that I don’t really encounter elsewhere. I love the independent spirit and open minded attitudes out west. New Mexico is a state I find especially friendly. I will no doubt return to live out West again, permanently.

For down south, well it's not hard to break the ice. Especially in Texas, they're extroverts down there. North Carolina is probably one of the friendliest states I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City