Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's Fourth City:
Atlanta 7 4.00%
Boston 7 4.00%
Dallas 7 4.00%
Houston 32 18.29%
Miami 8 4.57%
Philadelphia 21 12.00%
San Francisco 29 16.57%
Washington, D.C. 64 36.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly has the third largest downtown, fourth largest media market, fourth largest urban area, is the largest college town in America (because essentially thats what philly is, a massive college town.) The single largest shopping/employment center in America(KOP). The Birthplace of the United States, has the oldest residential street in America. Home to the largest telecom company in the U.S.(comcast), has the largest fresh water port in the U.S., was the Birthplace of the Marine Corps, invented the stromboli, is where electricity was first "harnessed", and the list goes on. So I think its safe tho say Philly is a solid number 4.

And with or without Boston Philly would still exist, Philly was the second largest city in the British empire, while boston was just another coastal New England Town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
Read post #15 in this thread.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me where people are getting this "Beta" city nonsense from? LA has always been ranked an Alpha world city.
They update it every year or every two years or something like that, and the last time they updated their list GaWC placed LA as a Beta World City, falling from it's Alpha World City rank.

GaWC are very known to be a biased source though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 PM

370 posts, read 371,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
They update it every year or every two years or something like that, and the last time they updated their list GaWC placed LA as a Beta World City, falling from it's Alpha World City rank.

GaWC are very known to be a biased source though.
No, that's the thing. It's NEVER been a Beta city. You can go back and look at previous rankings - LA was always classified as an Alpha.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
They probably did that because they finally got tired of Hollywood. LOL.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
They probably did that because they finally got tired of Hollywood. LOL.
Too bad that wasn't the case. LA has always been an Alpha. Sorry, but LA owns.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
No, that's the thing. It's NEVER been a Beta city. You can go back and look at previous rankings - LA was always classified as an Alpha.
Or actually you're right, it isn't a Beta World City anymore;

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

It never was! If you click on the links, they will take you to the GaWC website for the cities. They have previous years listed when they did the rankings, and LA was never a Beta.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:

They changed it back after they saw Avatar.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
As long as government keeps growwing the way it is, DC will firmly remain at # 4. Look how much the economy has come around since the mid 90's. It is also served by 2 international airports and 1 domestic. Combined with Baltimore in CSA terms has the 4th largest population.

Houston has potential, if it steps up with more mass transit (heavy rail, not glorified street cars), higher density growth and continues to grow as the energy capital. LA could be used as a model as it was pretty much the 90's when it realised it can not keep building freeway after freeway and have limitless sprawl. Sure in an ideal world the 405 freeway would be 20 lanes, but that's just not realistic. I think Houston has become modestly aware of this as trends are slowly starting to shift more focus on density and transiut. Technicly it is the 4th largest city but it doesn't live up to it, just in numbers of people residing within the city limits which is subjective as the Bay area, DC, DFW, Boston, & Philly all trump Houston with CSA statistics. Houston needs to find creative ways to attract more appeal to the city, as in "I'd love to live in Houston for the experience or affection for the place", instead of "I'm moving to Houston to find work." I admit I could be wrong and I'm sure there are those that love Houston, but relocating to Houston for work seems to be the concensus. Texas cities do have an economic climate to sustain economic growth in the coming decade ahead of us.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-20-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As long as government keeps growwing the way it is, DC will firmly remain at # 4. Look how much the economy has come around since the mid 90's. It is also served by 2 international airports and 1 domestic. Combined with Baltimore in CSA terms has the 4th largest population.

Houston has potential, if it steps up with more mass transit (heavy rail, not glorified street cars), higher density growth and continues to grow as the energy capital. LA could be used as a model as it was pretty much the 90's when it realised it can not keep building freeway after freeway and have limitless sprawl. Sure in an ideal world the 405 freeway would be 20 lanes, but that's just not realistic. I think Houston has become modestly aware of this as trends are slowly starting to shift more focus on density and transiut. Technicly it is the 4th largest city but it doesn't live up to it, just in numbers of people residing within the city limits which is subjective as the Bay area, DC, DFW, Boston, & Philly all trump Houston with CSA statistics. Houston needs to find creative ways to attract more appeal to the city, as in "I'd love to live in Houston for the experience or affection for the place", instead of "I'm moving to Houston to find work." I admit I could be wrong and I'm sure there are those that love Houston, but relocating to Houston for work seems to be the concensus. Texas cities do have an economic climate to sustain economic growth in the coming decade ahead of us.

If only the FTA was willling to build heavy rail from scratch nowadays. They are content with LRT funding right now. Commuter rail though is really wanted in the Houston region. I think heavy rail is coming to Houston one day but not soon. If Houston continues to increase in density, then there could be an opening.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If only the FTA was willling to build heavy rail from scratch nowadays. They are content with LRT funding right now. Commuter rail though is really wanted in the Houston region. I think heavy rail is coming to Houston one day but not soon. If Houston continues to increase in density, then there could be an opening.
Funny you mention that. I read that they're proposed and approved of heavy rail for Houston, but you're right it isn't sooner than it is later, it's in a long time from now. They'll start on it next decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City