Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dude - the metros share commuters. And you continually miss my point - the line that seperates them is on a county line; people work and move back and forth between both every day. The density at this border defined by "commuter patterns" is greater than downtown ATL. NYC has more pull; people even commute from CC Philly to Manhatten because you can with the high speed rail. Imagine an area from downtown Atl through Buckhead then to Roswell - but far more dense with another little city where Roswell is and you are telling me they are seperate and non cohesive. This is the point; yes the census needs to draw a line; so they did but it means nothing living there; the interaction of the space is no different than in any other part of the city but there is an imaginary line

Above is an aerial; to left of the red line is Philly metro - to the right is NY metro - you can see the obvious lack of development at this border. and no one ever crosses for fear of a census code violation
Where taking about metropolitans more people have to commute to New York from Newark then to Philly from Newark, for Newark not be part of Philly MSA but New York, and their got be not enough commuters going to Philly from Newark, to make New York and Philly one large metroplex or MSA it don’t meet the threshold it doesn’t meet it for CSA either. People commute to Atlanta from Athens, Macon and Columbus Metros. Barrow County is Metro Atlanta but it border Athens-Clarke county, the Athens metro abuts Atlanta metro but their not enough for Athens to be apart of Atlanta MSA or CSA. Now I can say this is an imaginary line especially with the fact Athens is consider a de facto suburb of Atlanta or accepted that they're not the same MSA. Doesn’t mean there no commuting but the amounted of commuting is just not there. The distance from New York to Philly is about the distance from Atlanta to Athens not the distance from Atlanta from Roswell.

There’s a high speed rail to commute people from Philly to New York apparently that still isn’t enough. They are not cohesive enough and if they were they would be one metroplex, one MSA or CSA, Not two completing MSAs for same commuters that don’t even makes sense. In sunbelt cities which you have put blast the car culture people really travel in cars down here the result the MSA regions are larger. As much as northern posters bash sunbelt cities for not being dense, sprawling and having bad traffic, one would think you guys would understand that sunbelt MSA are generally larger cohesive regions.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
No were talking about the fact that as opposed to NYC, Hong Kong and Tokyo are not a part western culture and mostly irrelevant hence their appeal to me is marginal as well.
Gotcha about it not appealing to you. But the appeal to a large part of America in general, especially on the West Coast and Hawaii, is huge. And among American kids...keep that in mind the next time you have to buy a niece something with Hello Kitty on it, as I was asked to do recently.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
It's OK, no explanation is necessary. We're all friends here. For your records, I'll have you know that laws enacted in this country flow from West to East, not the other way around, as LA is more or less the official capital of the US, at least in terms of culture and social customs. We make the laws, and DC simply catches up and applies them.
Like legalizing gay marriage? Oh wait...

Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Where taking about metropolitans more people have to commute to New York from Newark then to Philly from Newark, for Newark not be part of Philly MSA but New York, and their got be not enough commuters going to Philly from Newark, to make New York and Philly one large metroplex or MSA it don’t meet the threshold it doesn’t meet it for CSA either. People commute to Atlanta from Athens, Macon and Columbus Metros. Barrow County is Metro Atlanta but it border Athens-Clarke county, the Athens metro abuts Atlanta metro but their not enough for Athens to be apart of Atlanta MSA or CSA. Now I can say this is an imaginary line especially with the fact Athens is consider a de facto suburb of Atlanta or accepted that they're not the same MSA. Doesn’t mean there no commuting but the amounted of commuting is just not there. The distance from New York to Philly is about the distance from Atlanta to Athens not the distance from Atlanta from Roswell.

There’s a high speed rail to commute people from Philly to New York apparently that still isn’t enough. They are not cohesive enough and if they were they would be one metroplex, one MSA or CSA, Not two completing MSAs for same commuters that don’t even makes sense. In sunbelt cities which you have put blast the car culture people really travel in cars down here the result the MSA regions are larger. As much as northern posters bash sunbelt cities for not being dense, sprawling and having bad traffic, one would think you guys would understand that sunbelt MSA are generally larger cohesive regions.
Atl to Rosswell is about the distance from CC to Trenton ( and go back to the density maps in the other thread it is all red density in the space - the point) . Philly is a bigger city than Atl and has it's own communter draw; NY is huge and draws from a large area. People live and work accross these boundaries. The census designation for commuters is to define the regional influence. that works when there is only one city and a spread to draw from. the way commuter work in an area where it is all developed is different and thus it creates an arbitrary designation.

Allright enough; would you agree there are far more people here? I mean you are talking about Macon and Athens (fine places). I am talking about Jersey - there are hand fuls of Macons all in a row - The commuter patterns make sense when there is huge distance between cities, hence they draw because there is no where else. in between the cities here there are huge employment centers, Princeton/Hightstown for example - a large number of people commute there from Bucks county - which may put that in the NY MSA - btw Bucks county borders phildelphia and IS the the SAME distance (7 miles) from downtown ATL to Buckhead as CC Philly to Bucks county. My point is just the MSA designation works well for most of the country - here it seems arbitrary people move to jobs and the good part is living here I can work in either and not have to move. the commuter patterns here are different and much more inter-ralted but still have a majpority draw to cores and yes both Philly and NY maitian distinct identities but they are far more inter-related than you would expect. Here if I moved the distance of buckhead to peachtree city I would be in a new MSA; yet never left the area

and further - draw a radius, at 25, 50 or 100 miles around the cities - see how different they are in population - it isnt even close

And on your point aof cohesive regions; yes I completely understand; without question - but there is only one direction to commute in most regions

edited to say i cant type or spell apparently - too many to fix there i am late for a meeting

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-23-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,757 times
Quote:
It's OK, no explanation is necessary. We're all friends here. For your records, I'll have you know that laws enacted in this country flow from West to East, not the other way around, as LA is more or less the official capital of the US, at least in terms of culture and social customs. We make the laws, and DC simply catches up and applies them.
You do not even make any sense, and have no evidence that laws flow from west to east. You have absolutely nothing when you say that LA is the capital of the US, other than being the capital of movies that, while entertaining, are a joke compared to politics and economics. You are reaching for stars trying to disrespect New York and DC.

And chiatldal, I have an employee who commutes from Camden, NJ area every day... and you know that is right across the river from Philadelphia. There are actually a lot of people who live down in that area for real estate prices and some of them are from there and want to stay, some of them go the opposite way... New York City to Philadelphia, because they want to live in New York. We have trains commuting people both ways every day.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 04-23-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Such sacrilegious impudence!

Sorry I offended you for personally not finding LA appealing. I didn't know I had to like what you like. How can I be so stupid!

You forgot to bold the sentence I used "You're" correctly.
Quote:
You're right, It isn't that serious.
Your-You're "my bad " an obvious mistake, I'm sure it doesn't have someone bending over backwards trying to comprehend what I'm trying to say. But thanks for the nit-picking, it's obvious you did so because I don't feel the way you do about LA boo hoo, get over it.

Last edited by BPerone201; 04-23-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Sorry I offended you for personally not finding LA appealing. I didn't know I had to like what you like. How can I be so stupid!
He is the one who agreed with another member who said that you could not pay him to live in New York over Los Angeles, isn't he?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 AM

14 posts, read 26,151 times
Is this thread a joke from a mod or what? How is it not closed? In fantasy land, sure, a Chicago with even bigger suburbs, nice weather, douchepimple movie stars might beat NYC in some minds. But certainly not the folks from Chicago. They claim to love winter.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
He is the one who agreed with another member who said that you could not pay him to live in New York over Los Angeles, isn't he?
Sorry, I don't know. But if he feels that way, he has the right to. I don't care either way.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 AM

370 posts, read 371,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

You forgot to bold the sentence I used "You're" correctly.
Your-You're "my bad " an obvious mistake, I'm sure it doesn't have someone bending over backwards trying to comprehend what I'm trying to say. But thanks for the nit-picking, it's obvious you did so because I don't feel the way you do about LA boo hoo, get over it.
I was kidding. Calm down.

Here is my peace offering: <3

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City