Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 PM

571 posts, read 1,275,690 times

Advertisements

I was bored this evening so I decided to take a break from my work and do a little research on the Houston v. Dallas rivalry and its history (pretty interesting things, I might add) but I stumbled across this article written by an Austin economist which suggested that the Texas Urban Triangle (comprised of Houston to the Southeast, Dallas to the North and San Antonio/Austin to the Southwest) could become America's next megalopolis. Currently, the country already has one megalopolis comprising of Washington D.C, Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Does anybody think this could become a reality? Do you think it already has?

Austin Contrarian: The Texas Triangle

NOTE
I don't think this should really turn into a New England v. Texas thread (although it probably will). What I'm more interested in is do you think the Texas Triangle has the same features that enabled New England to become what it is today? What is it lacking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
It already has in my opinion. But it will continue to grow and have a broader impact on the country more so the region of Texas. Although not an official megalopolis I do see this happening to a NYC, Philadelphia, DC type of thing sooner than we think.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
I forgot to add. Lacking like a High Speed rail system to connect those cities. I know each has it's own public rail but rail through out the state like Florida is doing would be cool.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
There are a couple more potential megalopolis areas in America. California is one, the I-85 megalopolis is another. I've heard of Chi-Pitts becoming one in the next few decades. But yes, The Texas triangle has some potential.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 PM

571 posts, read 1,275,690 times
It's funny you mention this b/c it has been quite the hot topic in Texas for the past year or so. Personally, I think it would be great. Rivalries and what not aside, I have friends spread across Dallas, San Antonio and Austin (I live in Houston) and sometimes I just don't feel like getting in the car and driving the 300 something miles to Dallas or Fort Worth (much less paying for the gas). A rail system would be amazing. However, it can also be argued that fuel is....well, the fuel of Texas's economy so a rail system would be counter intuitive. Just some thought.

Also, Texas A&M University did this study on the Texas Urban Triangle back in 2007. It's actually very fascinating and worth a gander. Reading it now is interesting too because it was somewhat of a predictor of things to come (Texas's rapid growth and the popularity/stability of the economies of all FOUR of it's major metropolises).

Texas Urban Triangle » Welcome

Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
It's funny you mention this b/c it has been quite the hot topic in Texas for the past year or so. Personally, I think it would be great. Rivalries and what not aside, I have friends spread across Dallas, San Antonio and Austin (I live in Houston) and sometimes I just don't feel like getting in the car and driving the 300 something miles to Dallas or Fort Worth (much less paying for the gas). A rail system would be amazing. However, it can also be argued that fuel is....well, the fuel of Texas's economy so a rail system would be counter intuitive. Just some thought.

Also, Texas A&M University did this study on the Texas Urban Triangle back in 2007. It's actually very fascinating and worth a gander. Reading it now is interesting too because it was somewhat of a predictor of things to come (Texas's rapid growth and the popularity/stability of the economies of all FOUR of it's major metropolises).

Texas Urban Triangle » Welcome
Currently its population is about 18 million; it's expected to reach 23 million by 2025. Lots of people like to say the only reason why Texas has a large population is because it's so large ,but in reality only about 4 million people live outside the Texas Triangle which is about 60,000 sq. miles. We'd be the 3rd or 4th largest state in population.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times
The I-35 corridor from San Antonio to D/FW is getting pretty dense. I-45 between Dallas & Houston & I-10 between Houston & San Antonio are still pretty sparsely populated.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 AM

324 posts, read 665,999 times
Short answer: NO CHANCE

Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Could you tells us what the mileage is between each city? Isn't it well over 200 miles & much further when Dallas is included?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,771,374 times
I think the Piedmont Triad and the Research Triangle in North Carolina may already qualify as megalopolises. Dallas, Houston, and Austin and San Antonio do seem spaced very far apart though despite all of these being major cities.

Maybe along the Gulf coast in the future...New Orleans, Biloxi-Gulfport, Mobile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City