Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state capital would it be?
Atlanta 35 38.04%
Boston 55 59.78%
Phoenix 6 6.52%
Austin 8 8.70%
Sacramento 17 18.48%
Columbus 5 5.43%
Indianapolis 3 3.26%
Raleigh 2 2.17%
Albany 4 4.35%
Saint Paul 2 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Would you not consider Boston an important capital city? If not, that's fine. I would just be interested to hear why you feel that way.

Also, I wasn't aware that Columbus was highly involved in high tech & research...what do they specialize in if you don't mind my asking?
Sure, I don't mind informing you of what an important high tech and research city that Columbus is ... It's the home of the behemoth Battelle Research Institute, an ever important research company that is located on a sprawling campus near The Ohio State University.
Battelle: Product Development, Research & Commercialization, Energy, Health & Life Sciences, National Security, Laboratory (Lab) Management, FutureGen & Safety Pharmacology

Battelle Memorial Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battelle is one of thee foremost and world renowned research institutes in the world ... and has "BILLIONS of dollars" in US gov't contracts, in addition to other private contracts.
It's contribution to Columbus is staggering, as it pumps enormous sums of money into this thriving midwest metropolis.
Now you know, Columbus is actually an ever emerging high tech city in America.

Concerning Boston, it definitely is a vital American capital city ... however, it does tend to be "overhyped" at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:35 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I doubt that the typical foriegner has ever heard of any of our capitals other than Boston, Atlanta or Nashville. Maybe Indy if they are a racing fan. It is interesting how many of our state capitals are relatively obscure.

I voted Atlanta 'cause it has a slight edge over Boston. No need to explain myself.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
No need to explain myself.
Sighhh...

Then I guess studies are disagreeing with you.

Its not that Atlanta & Boston are drastically different, its just that people here have been supporting their cause for Boston, no one for Atlanta might I add.

Also, I must ask you, how is Nashville more known than Austin or Denver? Denver itself is the 3rd most powerful state capital city in USA.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Sighhh...

Then I guess studies are disagreeing with you.

Its not that Atlanta & Boston are drastically different, its just that people here have been supporting their cause for Boston, no one for Atlanta might I add.

Also, I must ask you, how is Nashville more known than Austin or Denver? Denver itself is the 3rd most powerful state capital city in USA.
Nashville is a central spot for country music, but it's also popular for songwriters in general. Country music is mostly a US phenomenon, but it does have a following in Australia, Brazil, Canada, and parts of Eastern Europe. I think Nashville is one of the cities this place tends to "overlook" in comparison to its cultural importance. (And cultural importance I think is one of the main factors why people know of a place. "Power" might be more an interest for those at war with a nation)

Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Just like you to tell us we can only pick one and then you picked all of them

Anyway I picked Boston Historically, and I picked ATL because of its significance to its area.

Phoenix is an okay choice, but I don't think it has as much sway in its area as ATL does. It has some major competition being surrounded by metros like Tucson, San Diego, LA, IE, LV, ABQ

Sacramento would be an okay choice too if it wasn't overshadowed by 4 or 5 cities in its own state

Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Sacramento would be an okay choice too if it wasn't overshadowed by 4 or 5 cities in its own state
Yeah, that is a very valid point. LA and Bay Area are way more important than Sacramento even if that's where the decisions get made. The LA and The Bay Area industries by themselves are a big reason why California is in the position it is.

Same thing goes for Texas in regards to Dallas and Houston, but I could definitely see Austin giving them both a run for their money or even besting them sometime this century.

Then there is Albany. Poor old Albany. It has been the capital of New York for 210 years and yet most people have to be reminded it even exists. It's been in the shadow of New York City for so long (since the beginning of forever) that even most New Yorkers don't care about it.

*disclaimer* The last paragraph was 90% joking...

Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Dannyboy - why did you even bother to set up a poll if you already "knew" the answer?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Imo, Harvard alone is what separates Atlanta from Boston. Hardly any city could compete with that, in addition to everything that spins off of it.

The graph Danny posted shows the minimal amount of difference between the two - which is very close, all things considered. But Harvard is the deciding factor.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, that is a very valid point. LA and Bay Area are way more important than Sacramento even if that's where the decisions get made. The LA and The Bay Area industries by themselves are a big reason why California is in the position it is.

Same thing goes for Texas in regards to Dallas and Houston, but I could definitely see Austin giving them both a run for their money or even besting them sometime this century.
Austin is an okay capital city, but it has to try giving San Antonio and Fort Worth a run for their money before it gets anywhere near Houston and Dallas's level. I don't see Austin besting those cities in anything for a very long time

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City