Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago Milwaukee was named "America's Drunkest City". It's bars and breweries everywhere in that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
A couple of years ago Milwaukee was named "America's Drunkest City". It's bars and breweries everywhere in that city.
For real?

I was expecting Chicago, NYC, or Vegas to win for most drunk...

Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM

39 posts, read 67,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Wow, thanks for the data. I would not have guess San Francisco for heroin\ crack. In the poor sections of LA crack is also a huge problem. But I figured that there aren't that many poor people in San Francisco. I've always thought of cities like New York as big heroin centers. I wonder why drug use is so "high" [no pun intended] in the Bay Area? Like Los Angeles, I thought the Bay Areas was mainly a whole lot of pot heads.
chicago and baltimore probably have the worst heroin problems. chicago is the only city in the US where you can get all 4 types of heroin.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
For real?

I was expecting Chicago, NYC, or Vegas to win for most drunk...

Chicago maybe. NYC I have nothing to say, and Vegas is just a resort.

I think Milwaukee wins. Wisconsin has a strong drinking culuture, and even more so in MKE with the breweries.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 23,020 times
Los Angeles in general is drunk
Venice is extremely high

Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
Asheville. The Blue Ridge is blue cuz of the haze from all of that pot smoke.

Chapel Hill is cokier. Rich, cokey, in a very "I have my tenure, so lets celebrate by chopping a line or three" kinda way.

When I played in bands and we'd play in Richmond, there was a definite heroin vibe floating around up there. Definitely not something I was gonna go near, but if you were in bands or in clubs a lot, you could still sense it's presence off in the shadows somewhere. That city has gentrified like crazy over the last decade or so; I can remember leaving clubs and driving down Broad Street in the mid-90s, and in those days it was a real gauntlet of hookers - tall ones of indeterminate gender, with the occasional BMW from the burbs swerving in for a closer look...

Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,994 times
Alaska has big drug and alcohol problems among its native populations. There is also a lot of weed usage there, as it is legal to own up to 1 ounce, or 24 plants I believe.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,714 times
Wow only a couple mentions of Denver for the highest city? The mile high city has more dispensaries per capita than any other city in the USA. More dispensaries than liquor stores or Starbucks locations.

Finding schwag in Denver is harder than finding the good stuff. In any social gathering of more than three people I swear a pipe and some kind bud comes out.

As Dispensaries Pop Up, Denver May Be Pot Capital, U.S.A. (http://www.cannabisnews.org/united-states-cannabis-news/as-dispensaries-pop-up-denver-may-be-pot-capital-u-s-a/ - broken link)

Hemp kingpin ditches Amsterdam for Denver
(http://www.cannabisnews.org/united-states-cannabis-news/hemp-kingpin-ditches-amsterdam-for-denver/ - broken link)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times
Wisconsin is definitely the hardest drinking state in the union. In the rest of the country drinking is something people do, in Wisconsin it is a beloved cultural tradition, people bring their kids to the bar. It has the same sort of drinking culture as the UK or Ireland.

I remember reading that Rhode Island had the highest rate of drug use in the country.

Minneapolis is a bit under the radar but it is easy to find good weed here and it seems pretty accepted in the local culture. Minnesota doesn't have medical marijuana but posession has been decriminalized since the '70s.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-07-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,272 times
depends on the substance. Heroin? B'more. Cocaine? LA. Weed? Probably also LA, although the whole West Coast definitely wins this one.

I am curious, are there some cities that prefer hard alcohol and others that prefer beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City