Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regional City Showdown (Which city-set is the most powerful in USA)
Midwest (Chicago/Detroit?Minneapolis) 6 7.06%
Northeast (Boston/New York/Philadelphia) 45 52.94%
Sunbelt (Atlanta/Dallas/Houston) 19 22.35%
West (Los Angeles/San Diego/San Francisco) 15 17.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I might be applying to both for law school this coming cycle, so we will see what happens (Chicago is ranked 7th, while UMich is ranked 9th). I have a friend who goes to Chicago and does not really like it that much and calls it "the place where fun goes to die". Another friend who goes to UMich has been greatly enjoying her experience, but happens to hate the winters.

Ironically, my dream school was Northwestern (I have no clue why, now that I think about it), but I ended up going to Berkeley instead because of the in-state price AND the scholarships I got meant that I have no student debt right now Grad School is most likely going to kill that, but it will probably also mean I would take career hunting way more seriously instead of this post-UG limbo of studying for various tests and working at odd jobs.

The in-state\out-of-state tuition prices made a huge difference to me. Was that the determining factor of why you transferred schools?

I guess I should have rephrased it: how much does the average (lay) person know about the University of Chicago? Not that it matters much anyways, but its just a curse of being a school named after a geographic region.

I know a lot of people who confuse UPenn with Penn State, or think UMich, UVa are equivalents to the Cal State system here (not that the Cal States are bad...)
The main reason why I transferred was to be closer to home. Ann Arbor was completely different than what I had imagined it would be. I never considered the winter months, which played a huge role in my determination at the school. I found myself cutting large amount of class in the months of January and early February because of the cold weathers.

Plus I also want to pursue a career in law, and I want to go to Columbia for Law school, so I had to fix my problems that I had at Ann Arbor, so i transferred. I wanted to be at the top of my game, to do the best work I can possibly do, and in a way, I consider it UT to be much less of a distraction. Because I'm closer to home, so I don't have to worry about not seeing family as often, and the weather is more favorable.

I really do miss the college life at Ann Arbor though. But I know I can do a lot better now, lol, I won't be going back to sleep after waking up and feeling the cold floor and freezing on the way to class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 AM

196 posts, read 614,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Actually, all of these cities are global cities according to GaWC, with Philadelphia, Detroit, and San Diego residing at a lower level than Minneapolis.
Oh, really? Good for MPLS! I'm not sure how much that means, but I suppose GaWC's authority at least trumps mine.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think you could make an argument that it is not a real city and only a large centered suburban area with tall buildings. Doesn't mean it sucks though
I would really like to see this argument. If anything it exposes a Northeast bias of what a city is and that's about it.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I would really like to see this argument. If anything it exposes a Northeast bias of what a city is and that's about it.

Just a personal opinion and preference; and there are many cities in every region that possess this quality - yes most of the NE cities but also MW cities; west coast cities (SF, Seattle etc.) and Southern cities (NOLA, Charleston etc.

In my opinion these just feel more urban/city-like

Some newer developed cities have areas that feel more urban with gaps or suburbia intersperced; lacking cohesion of urbanity that make them feel more like a hybrid; thus to me they feel less urban and more suburban

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I personally don't like the way US News ranks undergraduate schools, because it gives way too much credence to factors such as alumni donations rather than the strength of the education itself. I really wished that they would stick to Peer Assessment scores, which is basically academics ranking each others schools.

However, where you went to school does correlate to how successful you may be in life, but its still not the be all end all. Hard work and dedication are still factors that can't be mathematically based.

There IS something to be said about the fact that in terms of top schools, the Northeast is way overrepresented. That doesn't mean it will always remain that way, because institutions like Berkeley and Stanford are less than 150 years old, while UCLA is less than 100 years old! The fact that schools in the West and South are fast catching up to the Northeast in terms of prestige is pretty exciting. Since prestige takes time to develop, the fact that newer institutions are becoming just as good as our older ones is a great development toward making this nation as a whole, very strong.

Here's a proxy of the top 3 most represented schools in the graduate school list from each region with their founding year to see what I mean:

East Coast:
Harvard (1636)
Yale (1701)
Columbia (1754)

West Coast:
Berkeley (1868)
Stanford (1891)
UCLA (1919)

Midwest:
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1817)
Northwestern University (1851)
University of Chicago (1890)

South:
University of Virginia (1819)
Duke University (1837)
UT: Austin (1883)

The Western United States has extremely young schools (in fact, Berkeley is the oldest school on the West Coast). We'll see in our lifetime how the University of California system develops vis-a-vis the Northeastern schools. As time moves on, I can see the Southern schools gaining more of a reputation abroad and in the United States, as more and more people move to the South.

However, I do feel sorry for those who went to U. Chicago, because almost no one outside of academia knows how good of a school it really is. Or in fact, how good of a school University of Michigan is (I consider it to be a peer of Berkeley).

Where is the link? Texas A&M and GA-TECH are also top institutions in the south.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just a personal opinion and preference; and there are many cities in every region that possess this quality - yes most of the NE cities but also MW cities; west coast cities (SF, Seattle etc.) and Southern cities (NOLA, Charleston etc.

In my opinion these just feel more urban/city-like

Some newer developed cities have areas that feel more urban with gaps or suburbia intersperced; lacking cohesion of urbanity that make them feel more like a hybrid; thus to me they feel less urban and more suburban
I see your point. However, IMO, any city that does have a decent skyline, metro population around 1 million, and a GDP above $50 billion, is hardly a suburb.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Where is the link? Texas A&M and GA-TECH are also top institutions in the south.
//www.city-data.com/forum/13898599-post50.html
Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

US News and World Report 2009 Ranking of Graduate Schools

Red: Northeast
Blue: West

Orange: Midwest
Purple: South

Best Business Schools
1-tied Harvard
1-tied Stanford
3 U. of Pennsylvania(Wharton)
4-tie MIT(Sloan)
4-tie Northwestern(Kellogg)
7-tie Dartmouth(Tuck)
7-tie U. of California, Berkeley(Haas)
9 Columbia
10 NYU(Stern)

11 U. of California, Los Angeles(Anderson)

12 U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor(Ross)
13 Yale
14-tie Cornell(Johnson)
14-tie Duke(Fuqua)
14-tie U. of Virginia(Darden)

Best Law Schools
1 Yale
2-tie Harvard
2-tie Stanford
4 Columbia
5 NYU

6 U. of California, Berkeley
7-tie U. of Chicago
7-tie U. of Pennsylvania
9-tie Northwestern
9-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

9-tie U. of Virginia
12 Cornell
14 Georgetown

15 Vanderbilt

Best Medical Schools
1 Harvard
2 Johns Hopkins

3 Washington U. in St. Louis
4 U. of Pennsylvania
5 U. of California, San Francisco
6-tie Duke
6-tie U. of Washington
8 Stanford
9-tie U. of California, Los Angeles
9-tie Yale
11-tie Columbia
11-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
12 Baylor
14-tie U. of California, San Diego
14-tie U. of Pittsburgh

Best Engineering Schools
1 MIT
2 Stanford
3 U. of California, Berkeley

4 Georgia Tech
5 U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
6 Cal Tech
7 Carnegie Mellon
8 U. of California, Los Angeles(Viterbi)
9-tie Cornell
9 U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
11 U. of California, San Diego
13-tie Texas A&M
13-tie U. of California, Los Angeles(Samueli)
15-tie Purdue
15-tie U. of Wisconsin, Madison

Best Education Schools
1 Stanford
2 Vanderbilt
3 U. of California, Los Angeles
4 Columbia
5 U. of Oregon
6 Harvard

7-tie U. of California, Berkeley
7-tie U. of Washington
9 U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
10-tie U. of Pennsylvania
10-tie U. of Texas, Austin
12-tie Northwestern
12-tie U. of Wisconsin, Madison
14-tie Michigan State U.

14-tie NYU

Best Biological Sciences Schools
1 Stanford
2-tie MIT
2-tie U. of California, Berkeley
4-tie Cal Tech
4-tie Harvard
6 Johns Hopkins

7-tie Rockefeller U.
7-tie Scripps Research Institute(CA)
7-tie U. of California, San Francisco
7-tie Yale
12-tie Cornell
12-tie Duke

12-tie Princeton
15-tie Columbia

15-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Best Chemistry Schools
1-tie Cal Tech
1-tie MIT
1-tie Stanford
1-tie U. of California, Berkeley

5 Harvard
6 Scripps Research Institute(CA)
7-tie U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
7-tie U. of Wisconsin, Madison

9-tie Cornell
9-tie Northwestern
11 Columbia
12-tie U. of California, Los Angeles

12-tie U. of Chicago
12-tie U. of Texas, Austin
15 Yale

Best Computer Science Schools
1-tie MIT
1-tie Stanford
1-tie U. of California, Berkeley

4 Carnegie Mellon U.
5 U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
6-tie Cornell
6-tie Princeton
6-tie U. of Washington
9-tie Georgia Tech
9-tie U. of Texas, Austin

11-tie Cal Tech
11-tie U. of Wisonsin, Madison
13-tie U. of California, Los Angeles
13-tie U. of Maryland, College Park
13-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Best Earth Science Schools
1 Cal Tech
2-tie MIT
2-tie Stanford
4 U. of California, Berkeley

5-tie Columbia
5-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
7 Pennsylvania State U., University Park
8 U. of Arizona
9 Harvard
9 U. of Texas, Austin
11-tie Princeton
11-tie U. of California, Los Angeles
11-tie U. of Washington
11-tie Yale
15-tie Cornell
15-tie U. of California, San Diego
15-tie U. of Chicago

Best Mathematics Schools
1 Princeton
2-tie Harvard
2-tie-MIT

2-tie Stanford
2-tie U. of California, Berkeley

6 U. Of Chicago
7-tie Cal Tech
7-tie Yale
9-tie Columbia
9-tie NYU

9-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
12 U. of California, Los Angeles
13 Cornell
14-tie Brown

14-tie U. of Texas, Austin
14-tie U. of Wisconsin, Madison

Best Physics Schools
1-tie MIT

1-tie Stanford
3-tie Cal Tech
3-tie Harvard
3-tie Princeton
3-tie U. of California, Berkeley
7 Cornell
8-tie U. of Chicago
8-tie U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

10 U. of California, Santa Barbara
11-tie Columbia
11-tie Yale

13-tie U. of Maryland, College Park
13-tie U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
13-tie U. of Pennsylvania

Total Programs Ranked in this sample: 11
Northeast: 69/169 in the top 15 (40.8%)
West: 51/169 in the top 15 (30.2%)
Midwest: 33/169 in the top 15 (19.5%)
South: 16/169 in the top 15 (9.5%)

Weighted By Representation in Proportion to Population (source: US MAP)
Northeast: 20.4% of the US population (overrepresented by by a factor of 100%)
West: 21.2% of the US population (overrepresented by a factor of 42%)
Midwest: 24.0% of the US population (underrepresented by a factor of 18.75%)
South: 34.4% of the US population (underrepresented by a factor of 72.4%)

Do people even read other people's posts before asking questions like that, or do people here purposely look for a point of contention for the sake or arguing endlessly?

In case you guys forget: undergrad =/= graduate school.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
Ivy League schools mean nothing, the West Coast's schools are on par or superior to the Ivies. There is nothing "amazing" about those schools being located there - the most impressive colleges and universities in the country are located in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Not that you had much credibility before, but now you have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see your point. However, IMO, any city that does have a decent skyline, metro population around 1 million, and a GDP above $50 billion, is hardly a suburb.
Those are the same criteria's I normally use to measure a city, along with safety and FOOD!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I would think it goes without saying that the one with New York in it is the most powerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City