Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Fran Babe View Post
I think LA is hated on here because a lot of people on this forum are into urban living. LA has lots of good qualities, but LA is very far behind cities such as New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, and Philadelphia when it comes to urban living. LA isn't quite the giant suburb some people like to make it out to be, but it's not exactly the place to go for those who like city life,
I agree, I find it to be some hybrid between suburban and urban. Too dense and gritty to be typical suburbia but not dense or walkable enough to be considered truly urban either, at least not along the lines of NYC, SF, Boston, etc..

Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 PM

77 posts, read 200,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It does seem that the most haters of LA live in Chicago! There certainly are posters from all over the nation that may not be fond of Los Angeles [and for good reason in some cases]. But the vile hate toward LA seems to be concentrated in the Chicago area. Maybe because Chicago is the 3rd largest city behind NYC & LA. But overall, when I read super hateful statements about Los Angeles most lack any substance. They just write: "LA sucks" or some other meaningless put down. Then there are those who are not above making up stuff [ie. like even posting photos of a beach in Florida after a hurricane & claim it is LA]. Those posters will endlessly spew their hate of Los Angeles even when they are lying. Weird but true!
It seems to go both ways by what I've read on CD, Angelenos and Chicagoans seem to like to bash each other. It seems as though Chicagoans are maybe jealous that Los Angeles is the second largest city, and that Angelenos are jealous that Chicago is much more urban and has more of a big city vibe. Either way it doesn't really matter because in real life outside of CD, nobody from either city really gives a crap about the other.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
It seems to go both ways by what I've read on CD, Angelenos and Chicagoans seem to like to bash each other. It seems as though Chicagoans are maybe jealous that Los Angeles is the second largest city, and that Angelenos are jealous that Chicago is much more urban and has more of a big city vibe. Either way it doesn't really matter because in real life outside of CD, nobody from either city really gives a crap about the other.
One would be hard pressed to identify any Angelenos jealous of Chicago! Maybe NYC but not any city in the Midwest!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
I love L.A. People hate L.A. partly because of jealousy and partially out of intimidation. I used to hate L.A. (before I went there) for reasons I heard from other which turned out to be exaggerated or false when I got there to see it first-hand. Now, it's my favorite city along w/ NYC.

I've also noticed a lot of people, when I mention CA, they say "Oh, I love CA, but not L.A. I like NORTHERN CA!" or "....I love San Diego!!!" or "..."San Francisco"... But they are always careful to point out they hate L.A. This is probably 60%+ of people I talk to about CA.

But it's good for L.A. to be hated. I wish NYC were more hated so fewer hipsters/transplants would move in and ruin it. L.A. is more and more starting to be recognized as the beautiful place it is, and that may actually ruin it the way NYC has been ruined to a large extent.

L.A. is my favorite city to visit and I hope it stays that way.

Here's my thread called "Confessions of a Former L.A. Basher" which describes how I went from hating L.A. (in ignorance) to visiting it and loving that city ever since:
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-l-basher.html

Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM

77 posts, read 200,215 times
Quote:
One would be hard pressed to identify any Angelenos jealous of Chicago! Maybe NYC but not any city in the Midwest!
Well from the looks of what the LA people on here are posting, it sure seems like they harbor some jealousy. In all honesty though, LA and Chicago are both incredible cities in their own rights. People from either city should have no reason to feel the need to hate on the other.

Last edited by San Fran Babe; 04-23-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 04:01 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:
In all honesty though, LA and Chicago are both incredible cities in their own rights. People from either city should have no reason to feel the need to hate on the other.
As someone that moved from Chicago to LA last year, I totally agree with this. Both are great cities with much to offer...

Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Yeah, it must be jealousy. The people where I live in San Diego could get paid nearly twice as much in LA, but refuse to move there. The people I know in SF wouldn't live in LA for similar salary hikes. almost all of the people I know who live in LA wish they could move to San Diego where I live. They must self-loathe it. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather live in LA than Gary, Indiana, but it a spread out polluted mess.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM

11 posts, read 16,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
I just dont get it. Los Angeles is a beautiful city with great weather and all.

Im not saying its perfect, its got alot of problems but just like every other city in the US.

Whats wrong with LA, I dont see why people on this forum Bash it all the time.
Los Angeles is a beautiful city? LOL.

The weather I can agree with you on, but people don't "hate" LA, it's just not discussed (to the extent of Dallas, Houston, NY, Chicago) from what I've been noticing reading this forum.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
I don't hate it, I never bash it, but it's not my type of city. I prefer San Francisco and Sacremento (when we're talking about CA cities)
SoCa just doesn't appeal to me.

Regardless, I don't think LA earns the right to have this kind of thread. Far more cities are bashed more than LA according to these forums.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 PM

370 posts, read 371,879 times
Quote:
Exactly. I don't know why people continue to think Chicago is on LA's radar. LA is on Chicago's radar (hence all the hatred from Chitown directed at LA), but the only city that can give LA a run for the money in all categories is NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City