Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,528,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
No i meant its stereotypical, jus like mexicans and burritos.
I didn't realize a cuisine could be stereotypical. It's not as if anyone stated that all A-As eat soul food; only that it is a cuisine developed largely by A-As, and largely southern.

And burritos are, in fact, a food item originally developed in Mexico, even if what is typically consumed in the U.S. is a bastardized Tex-Mex version.

DC's Finest is right about Sweet Georgia Brown's, however. The stuff that comes out of their kitchen is simply amazing.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
I would be offended if someone assumed I liked chitlins, and ham hocks

Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 PM

725 posts, read 1,502,600 times
It's a sterotype to assume that all A.A.'s eat soul food. It's not a sterotype to know soul food derived from A.A's and is a popular dish and part of African American culture and history. No more so than to think polish sausages are popular among the Polish people and derived from there. Or that Philly is known for Philly cheese steaks.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
Bottom line

Most of its nasty, I would rather not be associated with it simply cuz I'm black

Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Ok, a southern drawl might be there. I haven't paid enough attention to know for sure. But as for the African American population, Detroit's is even a larger percentage than that of D.C.
That's misleading when 70 percent of the black population in Detroit lives in one area and are hardly found in others. And that's mostly from the "great migration". This quote from Wikipedia may explain what I'm saying a little better.

"Unique among cities with a high percentage of African Americans, Washington has had a significant black population since the city's creation. This is a result of the manumission of slaves in the Upper South after the American Revolutionary War. The free black population in the region climbed from an estimated 1% before the war to 10% by 1810.[74] In the District, black residents composed about 30% of the population between 1800 and 1940.[75] Washington's black population reached a peak of 70% of the city's residents by 1970. Since then, however, the District's black population has steadily declined due to many blacks leaving the city for the surrounding suburbs.[76] Some older residents have returned South because of family ties and lower housing costs.[77] At the same time, the city's white population has steadily increased, in part due to effects of gentrification in many of Washington's traditionally black neighborhoods"

Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Bottom line

Most of its nasty, I would rather not be associated with it simply cuz I'm black
I hear you I like chicken and greens, but I don't eat a lot of that stuff.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Atlien,

Your comment about soul food is way off base. AA's all over the USA eat soul food. They eat grits, fried fish, collard greens in NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Cleveland.
That's true... and according to what was said in earlier post that's southern culture. I was just tryna show what DC had that was part of southern culture. Hey I just found out what southern culture was yesterday.

Just to clear up one thing I never meant for people to think that soul food was a black thing only and it isn't.The "soul food" term is A.A., but the food that makes up soul food is also the food that is eaten by whites in the south too they just don't call it that... (I don't think). So soul food is just a part of southern culture according to the other post.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,528,950 times
Quote:
I would be offended if someone assumed I liked chitlins, and ham hocks
Perhaps, but no one made that assumption.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:
Bottom line

Most of it really isn't. I don't eat chitlins at ALL (neither pig feet), and some of the things you listed earlier (turkey neck, ham hocks) aren't actually dishes, but sometimes act as seasonings. Fried chicken, mac n' cheese, greens, yams, sweet potato pie, white rice, etc. are the main dishes and are pretty mainstream.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
I think the discussion about DC is an example of how state lines in todays times might not be the best way to show connectivity among regions. The fact is, DC is a Southern city. It is below the Mason-Dixon line. Howver, DC is also Northeastern. It is connected "culturally" to the Northeast cities. Th term Mid-Atlantic probably fits, but is there a consensus on what those states/cities are? Then you start generating a fun discusiion. I love C-D forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City