Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,106,988 times

Advertisements

Redd,

Great point!! Boston and NYC's accent are not even remotely close. Same goes for Philly.

Murphy,

If you are an open minded person, you can definitely see that DC is more similar to NYC, Boston and Philly than its southern contemporaries like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. Look at the architecture, diversity, density, transportation numbers, lack of highways in the city, housing stock, centralized downtown, cultural activities, highly educated population, cultural institutions, liberal voting patterns etc. I can go on and on. You get the point.

DC also celebrates Emancipation Day and allows gay marriage!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:04 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
In parts of Baltimore's suburbs one can still see Confederate flags its perfectly acceptable.
It's perfectly acceptable to who?? Probably the person who put it up, or somebody that don't know what it is. I personally get irritated everytime i see them, and i've seen them in pennsylvania too.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:23 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,737,166 times
DC is in the center of the eastcoast, so expect to see a bit of everything. Plus it got its own culture to boot.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 19,591 times
I consider D.C a southern city because in my opinion it's nothing like the northeast big cities. If you actually been in D.C before, you should know that D.C doesn't have the very tall buildings like Philly, NYC, & Boston. D.C is like a tourist city with alot of museums, government building, historic neighborhoods, and the only tallest building in D.C is the Washington Monument lol. I been in D.C and the surrounding area many times and to me, the metro area have a little bit of that southern feel like Atlanta and Charlotte metro areas.

I would say the D.C metro area is similar to Atlanta metro area.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern21 View Post
I consider D.C a southern city because in my opinion it's nothing like the northeast big cities. If you actually been in D.C before, you should know that D.C doesn't have the very tall buildings like Philly, NYC, & Boston. D.C is like a tourist city with alot of museums, government building, historic neighborhoods, and the only tallest building in D.C is the Washington Monument lol. I been in D.C and the surrounding area many times and to me, the metro area have a little bit of that southern feel like Atlanta and Charlotte metro areas.

I would say the D.C metro area is similar to Atlanta metro area.
Hold up, so you say that DC isn't like the big cities in the northeast because it lacks skyscrapers, but then say that it's like Atlanta and Charlotte which also have skyscrapers? Huh?

Firstly, skyscrapers are irrelevant here especially considering the fact that DC has a height restriction. DC's density is more like the northeastern cities, its housing stock is more like the northeastern cities, and its mass transit is more like the northeastern cities.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Dc = nyc

Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM

457 posts, read 1,103,960 times
DC doesn't have the old gritty feel OR blue collar white people that you will find in Bos, NY, Philly (or even B-more).

But, other then that it is basically Northeastern (see DC's finest's post.)

Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Redd,

Great point!! Boston and NYC's accent are not even remotely close. Same goes for Philly.

Murphy,

If you are an open minded person, you can definitely see that DC is more similar to NYC, Boston and Philly than its southern contemporaries like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. Look at the architecture, diversity, density, transportation numbers, lack of highways in the city, housing stock, centralized downtown, cultural activities, highly educated population, cultural institutions, liberal voting patterns etc. I can go on and on. You get the point.

DC also celebrates Emancipation Day and allows gay marriage!
You are absolutely right. It seems that some people on this thread are still stuck in that old "Mason-Dixon Line" mindset, which is totally irrelevant in modern times.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:34 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,904,929 times
If others came to the realization that the people make the cities, I would put Washington DC as part of the Northeast for two main reasons:

1) Many of the transplants to DC are from other parts of the Northeast (Boston, Philly, NYC)
2) A lot of how the Northeast is described in terms of how people are, particularly the negative attributes, are very visible in DC, even more than in the city-everyone-loves-to-ostracize-as-rude-and-heartless NYC.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:55 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Washington DC is surrounded by Maryland on three sides. I mention this because it is logical that the status of DC would PROBABLY be similar to the status of Maryland. So the question is do you think Maryland is a Northern or Southern state?

There is no right or wrong answer to that. Historically, Maryland was a Southern state and I know no written declaration that it stopped being one. However, more recently Maryland has been having more and stronger links to the Northeast. And at the very least, Maryland as a small state seems to fit in better with the other small states in the NE.

So I voted for DC as a Northern City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City