Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Miami is southern to me personally. I didnt say miami isn't southern, but people on this site do it all the time.

rick ross
trick daddy
luke etc... they are southern as hell if u ask me.

@ danny.. Most major cities in the southern are very southern. from the people, to the layout of the city. DC bares no resemblance.

Google Maps

You dont see cities in the south built like this.
Atlanta:

http://www.jennifersherrouse.com/brownstonesathabersham/brownstones.jpg (broken link)

Savannah:

looks close to me...

Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
It would be easier to argue that Washington, D.C. is southern if it seceded from the Union during the Civil War. But history is history, and we know it didn't, and Lincoln remained in the White House throughout the course of the Civil War as the President of the Union, so...

BTW, Maryland also remained as part of the Union during the Civil War. Most Marylanders sympathized with the Union although some decided to cross the Potomac River and fight for the Confederacy. Lincoln also made sure that Baltimore was well-protected by Union troops and was not captured by the Confederacy.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-25-2010 at 04:50 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It would be easier to argue that Washington, D.C. is southern if it seceded from the Union during the Civil War. But history is history, and we know it didn't, and Lincoln remained in the White House throughout the course of the Civil War as the President of the Union, so...
Actually, it's still easy ... it took a lot of effort to protect DC! The first thing the president did was make a preemptive move to isolate Maryland from DC and blockade DC from Virginia. DC became the most fortified city in the world at that time, because it was in the heart of the south... Securing DC can be looked at as the first strategic union victory.

"Faced with an open rebellion that had turned hostile, President Abraham Lincoln began organizing a military force to protect Washington. The Confederates desired to make Washington their capital and massed to take it. On April 10 forces began to trickle in to the city. On April 19, the Baltimore riot threated further reinforcements from arriving. Led by Andrew Carnegie, a railroad was built circumventing Baltimore, allowing soldiers to arrive on April 25, thereby saving the capital."

Try to keep in mind DC was a very small city before the war. It had less people than the steelers game, so it couldn't secede like a state. But as for the states it is connected to... Virginia seceded and Maryland tried.

Washington, D.C. in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Try to keep in mind DC was a very small city before the war. It had less people than the steelers game, so it couldn't secede like a state. But as for the states it is connected to... Virginia seceded and Maryland tried.

Washington, D.C. in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to this link, the majority of Washington, D.C. residents embraced Union troops when they arrived. There were only pockets of southern sympathy left in the city by that time.

I don't think hardly anyone disputes that Virginia is a southern state, especially considering Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
According to this link, the majority of Washington, D.C. residents embraced Union troops when they arrived. There were only pockets of southern sympathy left in the city by that time.

I don't think hardly anyone disputes that Virginia is a southern state, especially considering Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy.
OK...

Well that's neither here nor there. The fact is they had to fight just to keep Maryland from defecting as Maryland and Virginia both sympathized with the confederacy. DC would have had no choice but to follow the defecters as it was a small city sandwiched between two powerful states.

I would imagine DC residents would be supportive of union troops since it was the capital of the union, but they had no power either way. Because of it's location, without quick thinking from Lincoln it would've been in the confederacy.

Nevertheless, I still do not see how this takes away that DC was formed in the south by a law and is still seen to be in the south by federal data, and geography.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Nevertheless, I still do not see how this takes away that DC was formed in the south by a law and is still seen to be in the south by federal data, and geography.
Well, the historical evidence is that Washington, D.C. used to be in the old south until the beginning of the Civil War. The perception is that things changed when it became the capital of the Union. States that joined the Confederacy were considered part of the American south from that point on. (I just don't see how the capital city of the north can be considered part of the south anymore when the city defaulted as a northern stronghold.)

By modern standards, Washington, D.C. and its metro area is mid-Atlantic or northern. Even northern Virginia isn't considered culturally southern anymore. At the regional level, D.C. is mostly tied to and associated with the large cities to the northeast - Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City. These are the "east coast" cities and that association is getting even stronger over time. Of course, on the national level, D.C. belongs to everyone. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-25-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DANNYY again.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Well, the historical evidence is that Washington, D.C. used to be in the old south until the beginning of the Civil War. The perception is that things changed when it became the capital of the Union. States that joined the Confederacy were considered part of the American south from that point on. (I just don't see how the capital of the north can be considered part of the south anymore.)

By modern standards, Washington, D.C. and its metro area is mid-Atlantic or northern. Even northern Virginia isn't considered southern anymore, at least not culturally.
First of all DC has always been the capital of the union, the United States of America, which includes the south. DC is not the capital of the north .

I really do not think what you are stating is fact. It sounds like an opinion. That union you were refering to... the Federal gov't of the United States disagrees, because they continuously put DC in the south. Even as recently as the latest census.

I really think culture is subjective and relative to the experience of an individual esspecially in a city as large as DC. However I will entertain your hypothesis...

So DC and Virginia are northern because of culture... So what is northern culture?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
I'm sorry saying Washington DC is northern is one thing (And I'll leave the debate to all of you) but there is no way in Sam hell that Virginia is northern and I don't give a flying eff what "culture" it defines in one part of the state.

I spent my life from Kindergarden to now in college with History courses learning about every thing that came out of Virginia the Southern state, from Jamestown to the Big State Small State compromise to the 2/3rds Law, to the reason freakin Robert E. Lee turned down being Head General for the Union because of his love for his home state of Virginia. To everything Virginia did that led the country to the framework for what it is today.
There is no way on Earth what a blogger on City-Data can make a case to say Virginia is Northeastern. That's just not possible at all. Have some people even been to the parts of Virginia outside of NoVa, they still are very much Southern.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 AM

Someone should start a thread about whether Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City are tied together as a single "region" since they are all major cities spanning only 250 miles. That would be an interesting discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City