Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times

Advertisements

Why are all you guys using rappers as the standard for DC and American speech? Gimme a break...I can barely understand what they are saying no matter where their are from...

Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Lls!^^^^^^

Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Why are all you guys using rappers as the standard for DC and American speech? Gimme a break...I can barely understand what they are saying no matter where their are from...
Who ever said that anyone was "using rappers as the standard for DC and American speech?" People have used rappers as examples of the differences in black speech, but no one claimed that this applies to everyone in DC or the United States. The point was that African Americans in the north sound completely different from those in the DC area.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who ever said that anyone was "using rappers as the standard for DC and American speech?" People have used rappers as examples of the differences in black speech, but no one claimed that this applies to everyone in DC or the United States. The point was that African Americans in the north sound completely different from those in the DC area.
Well, for the past couple of pages that's all that have been used. And do only black people live in the NE now or what?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Yes. Totally.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Well, for the past couple of pages that's all that have been used. And do only black people live in the NE now or what?
How about reading the entire trail of posts before posting a comment.

Those videos show how traveling less than 200 miles to the northeast results in a drastically different dialect. I could have compared South Philly Italians or Brighton Beach Russians to black Washingtonians, but that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. I wanted to compare the accents of blacks from each region, and as you can see in those videos, black Washingtonians have an accent that is decidely more southern than blacks in any other city on the east coast.

Why use black Washingtonians? Because they are far more likely to be native to the region than whites and thus serve as the best barometer of the local culture. It's very much the same way that the Irish in Southie define Boston more so than the students who come to drink and take dumps all over the city for four years. I suppose I could have compared a white Arlingtonian to a white person from NE Philly, but there's really no accent that's readily identifiable as a NOVA/Mid-Atlantic accent. You can't identify someone from Chevy Chase, Maryland the way you can identify someone from Lowell, Massachusetts. Therefore, I used videos containing black people because it is far easier to identify a black person from the DC region than it is a white person.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-27-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How about reading the entire trail of posts before posting a comment.

Those videos show how traveling less than 200 miles to the northeast results in a drastically different dialect. I could have compared South Philly Italians or Brighton Beach Russians to black Washingtonians, but that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. I wanted to compare the accents of blacks from each region, and as you can see in those videos, black Washingtonians have an accent that is decidely more southern than blacks in any other city on the east coast.

Why use black Washingtonians? Because they are far more likely to be native to the region than whites and thus serve as the best barometer of the local culture. It's very much the same way that the Irish in Southie define Boston more so than the students who come to drink and take dumps all over the city for four years. I suppose I could have compared a white Arlingtonian to a white person from NE Philly, but there's really no accent that's readily identifiable as a NOVA/Mid-Atlantic accent. You can't identify someone from Chevy Chase, Maryland the way you can identify someone from Lowell, Massachusetts. Therefore, I used videos containing black people because it is far easier to identify a black person from the DC region than it is a white person.
Aren't you justifying every stereotype of black people not being able to speak correct english by using these examples though? If this is so called the standard of black DC english then it is a pity....

Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Aren't you justifying every stereotype of black people not being able to speak correct english by using these examples though? If this is so called the standard of black DC english then it is a pity....
The point wasn't grammar/syntax, it was ACCENT.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
No, DC is not a Northeastern city. Once you start getting up near Delaware, that's where the Northeast starts. DC is Mid-Atlantic and the beginning of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City