Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,758,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Maryland is a sh*thole just like New Jersey, no way that'll ever happen nor do the citizens of DC want it. Plus wasn't part of the comprise back in 1790 was to make sure the capital wasn't in no one state, but instead made into its own district?
I know. The state with the best schools (last year) with one of the highest median home incomes is such a sh*thole all over. Nothing like DC. They are so above us, just so, so far ahaed.

There is a reason people from DC get such a reputation...

Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM

324 posts, read 659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
You are exactly right on both counts - DC is Northeastern and Miami is not a Southern city, but be ready or a lot of denial of both of those by southerners, they will swarm you here.

RIght just because a city is geograpically located in the South doesnt make to the perception and Influence Southern. DC is very much influenced by its northern Cities. when you visit you would think you were in Northern City...

Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM

324 posts, read 659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Denial, denial, denial. As someone who has spent about half his life in Florida, I know what I'm talking about.

If it makes you folks from the NE more comfortable about being in SE Florida by denying it's Southern, keep telling yourselves whatever it takes. They need the $$$$.

DC tries SO HARD to distance itself from its roots, but Southern it is - despite what people further up the "Corridor" wish.
I was born Dade county too. I grew up on the souhtside Coral gables and Kendale lakes. Maybe in your era it was southern But in todays time culturally its not.... Again my family is from barbadoas and we never considered ourselves to be southern we are a island family that decided to move to miami but yet we still kept our culture as many other races do. I could see if the Southern way of life dominated to Miami to say hey Its southern Culturally... But its not. Many haitians cubans jamaicans Europeans etc. If you walk up to them and tell them that there southern., There going to look at you crazy.. Most of the Southern way of life is from Americans......

Old 04-24-2010, 11:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC are all considered part of the Mid-Atlantic region. The Mid-Atlantic region, along with the New England region make up the Northeast part of the USA, so yes DC is a Northeast city. At least that's how I always understood it.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:42 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
LOL, that's ridiculous. I've never heard of Washingtonians being afraid to admit what their city looked like 200 years ago. Who cares? All that matters is what it is today.
Exactly. One time people thought the world was flat. So I don't care what any of you say. If people used to call it flat, then it is. Things NEVER change!

DC also has the Northeastern Corridor Amtrak line(only high speed rail line in the country) go through here.

Most of you don't even live in DC. I'm sure those of us that do know a little bit more about the city than you. None of us care what you think. It's our city so we will do and think what we please. Trust me, we won't lose sleep over what some random guy from Atlanta thinks.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I voted no. DC feels like a laid-back southern city even compared to Baltimore, a short train ride away.
Slower than Baltimore? Yea right. DC is one of the fastest cities I've ever seen. I used to live right by Chicago and it's not any faster than DC. And like the others said, Baltimore doesn't even compare. Baltimore is EXTREMELY slow compared to DC.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
I don't know if DC is completely northern but to say that DC is southern is simply off base. The city is nothing like Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. It shares more characteristics with New York, Philly, Boston and Baltimore but with a unique vibe. The accent in DC is mid atlantic with northern influences. AA's in DC do have some southern influences (same as Philly, Chicago, Baltimore) but through each generation it is slowly disappearing. The poster that said DC is laid back obviously has never been to DC.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't know if DC is completely northern but to say that DC is southern is simply off base. The city is nothing like Atlanta, Dallas or Houston.
Not sure about Dallas and Houston, but metro Atlanta and metro DC do share several similarities.

I won't argue with a person who says that DC is culturally Northeastern, but I think mid-Atlantic is the best term. It recognizes both the historic Southern and the contemporary Northern influences.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
DC is not a city..it exists in the OZONE

Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't know if DC is completely northern but to say that DC is southern is simply off base. The city is nothing like Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. It shares more characteristics with New York, Philly, Boston and Baltimore but with a unique vibe. The accent in DC is mid atlantic with northern influences. AA's in DC do have some southern influences (same as Philly, Chicago, Baltimore) but through each generation it is slowly disappearing. The poster that said DC is laid back obviously has never been to DC.
Sure...once I missed the last damn train to B-More and had to take a cab because service was so slow...that cab ride was neither fun nor cheap Then the next time I was there for a work function, it was so hot that the city seemed like it was operating in slow-motion. Next year my wife's company has a conference in DC during the winter so maybe I'll tag along and be able to see if the pace is different when it's not brutally hot as it is most of the summer.

Bottom line is DC is too unique of a city to fit into either the Southern or the Northeastern category. I do love Bisrot du Coin though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.