Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA: How do you think of it?
Sunbelt City 5 9.62%
West Coast City 47 90.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:10 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

West coast, of course. LA almost defines west coast.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-23-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I am getting a serious chuckle out of this thread(s). Whether or not L.A. is in the Sunbelt is not a matter of opinion. It is a fact.

For reference, this is the Sunbelt (the red shady part):

Agree - but the thread is on what would someone more closely associate it with - perception

Until I came on this forum i never thought of Cali as Sunbelt but see now it technically is. I always associated the Sunbelt (perception and my own) as a triangle from Chalotte to Miami to Dallas etc.

So was curious what others perceptions were

Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree - but the thread is on what would someone more closely associate it with - perception

Until I came on this forum i never thought of Cali as Sunbelt but see now it technically is. I always associated the Sunbelt (perception and my own) as a triangle from Chalotte to Miami to Dallas etc.

Yes, but perception and fact are two different things. People can perceive whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true.

And besides, what is the point anyway? If you read up on the subject, the "Sunbelt" has a different meaning than Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, and West coast.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, but perception and fact are two different things. People can perceive whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true.

And besides, what is the point anyway? If you read up on the subject, the "Sunbelt" has a different meaning than Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, and West coast.

Well then a question: Is LA a west coast city?

Ok point taken

Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Well then a question: Is LA a west coast city?

Ok point taken
Yes, LA is a west coast city. It is also a Sunbelt city. The two do not cancel each other out.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, LA is a west coast city. It is also a Sunbelt city. The two do not cancel each other out.

Didn't say they did...

Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM

293 posts, read 900,100 times
Quote:
When you think of LA would you think of it as a Sunbelt or West coast city?
I didn't even know people considered LA a sun belt city until now. Even though it technically may be a sun belt city, I consider sun belt cities more Texas to Florida.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
I didn't even know people considered LA a sun belt city until now. Even though it technically may be a sun belt city, I consider sun belt cities more Texas to Florida.

I agree 100% - but have since been technically corrected

Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Didn't say they did...
I did not vote because there's no "both" as a choice. It's like asking is Detroit a rustbelt city or a Midwestern city?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:

I would say the sunbelt certainly go's further west than Dallas. Phoenix is the poster child of a Sunbelt City. So is Albuquerque and Tucson. The West Coast is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of LA, however it is an auto centric city like all the other Sunbelt Cities, LA pretty much set the stage for the rest of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City