Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pika State!
Alaska 52 50.00%
California 33 31.73%
Omg I can't choose so everyone's a winner! 19 18.27%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,169 times

Advertisements

If anyone has spent significant time in both states, I don't see how you can possibly vote for Cali. Who cares about the "diversity" of the inland desert...it's freakin' dusty farm land, and it's what...half the state?

Cali does have a ton of diversity and is mighty impressive...but it isn't even in Alaska's league. Saying that Alaska is all tundra/snow-covered is like saying Cali is nothing but LA-area posers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
If anyone has spent significant time in both states, I don't see how you can possibly vote for Cali. Who cares about the "diversity" of the inland desert...it's freakin' dusty farm land, and it's what...half the state?

Cali does have a ton of diversity and is mighty impressive...but it isn't even in Alaska's league. Saying that Alaska is all tundra/snow-covered is like saying Cali is nothing but LA-area posers.
Why couldn't you vote Cali? I ALASKA is ALOT more GRAND, I agree with that, but palm trees, mountains and beaches with cliffs, palisades and a Mediterranean climate isn't beautiful? Snow capped Mountains and Glaciers that are only a couple of hours away from the Hottest Deserts and miles of sand dunes aren't beautiful? Miles and Miles of fertile land and golden rolling hills aren't beautiful? I think voting EITHER way is a win win. There is no WRONG vote.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post

Because there are these things called "opinions" that everyone is allowed to have. "Natural Beauty" isn't anything tangible but rather a feeling you get when you see it, and you can't measure it by numbers..ergo, people can say whatever want.

Anyways, where did you get that half of California is the desert? Here's ecological California's composition

Source: Ecology of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

38.6% Forest (source: Hardwood Forest Foundation: Experience: California)
25.6% Dry Steppe (Central Valley source: Central Valley (California) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
15.3% Desert (Colorado and Mojave source: California's Deserts)
20.5% Coastal Chaparral (subtracted this from the remainder)

So the largest section of California's ecology is in fact, Forest. Of course, no one really recognizes that and instead looks at the 15.3% that IS desert and 25.6% that is the Central Valley (combined 41.9%).

Of course, Alaska would have more of an isolated, virgin, untouched feeling to its wilderness. But don't dismiss California as some "dry dusty farmland desert".

Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Which state do you think is more beautiful naturally?
Alaska!! Full of wild beauty, the kind that much of the world has never laid eyes upon. Mountains that majestically envelop you and seem to go on forever. Amazing wildlife worthy of the utmost respect. THE freshest crisp air and cold clean water, that we Alaskans sometimes take for granted. It just doesn't get any better than this. [FONT=Book Antiqua] [/FONT]

Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Oh ya, compare a state that is 1/5 the size of the U.S. to a state that is 1/20 the size. C'mon now.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Why couldn't you vote Cali? I ALASKA is ALOT more GRAND, I agree with that, but palm trees, mountains and beaches with cliffs, palisades and a Mediterranean climate isn't beautiful? Snow capped Mountains and Glaciers that are only a couple of hours away from the Hottest Deserts and miles of sand dunes aren't beautiful? Miles and Miles of fertile land and golden rolling hills aren't beautiful? I think voting EITHER way is a win win. There is no WRONG vote.
yes there is a wrong vote because there is a clear winner no contest.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM

276 posts, read 432,180 times
Alaska

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 PM

101 posts, read 275,526 times
Great discussion question. I think Hawaii is right up there too, along with Oregon and Washington. But I'd give California the edge over all of those states, including Alaska, due to the diversity of natural beauty. Imagine what it must have looked like before there were 37 million people here! Though I suppose the diversity of people is part of our beauty too.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Due to the revival of my old thread, I'll post one of my favorite pictures I've found online.

Aurora over Mt. McKinley, Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska:

http://files6.fliiby.com/images/_ori...p209xvy0rj.jpg

I can't wait to see Alaska!

Also, I agree that Hawaii is also up there in the natural beauty category. I love this picture!

http://hawaii-photo-gallery.com/index.php?showimage=468
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City