Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more underrated??
Cleveland 82 56.16%
San Antonio 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 AM

260 posts, read 299,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I think SA is only really underrated within the state of Texas. It does tend to be overshadowed by Houston, Austin, and Dallas quite a bit, but on a national level, I'd say Cleveland is much more underrated than SA.

I love both San Antonio and Cleveland. In fact, both are my favorite cities within their respective states. Two very different cities, but both have tons of local charm and culture, and both seem to have a strong sense of self-identity.

If you lived in San Antonio you'd know that it's not overshadowed by any cities in TX. You never hear about Dallas or Houston in San Antonio. It feels like those cities are in a different state all together. You will hear about Austin,Corpus,South Padre before Houston or Dallas. It feels like Houston and Dallas just "happen to be" in the same state.

To me Texas is like 4 different states in 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I think SA is only really underrated within the state of Texas. It does tend to be overshadowed by Houston, Austin, and Dallas quite a bit, but on a national level, I'd say Cleveland is much more underrated than SA.

I love both San Antonio and Cleveland. In fact, both are my favorite cities within their respective states. Two very different cities, but both have tons of local charm and culture, and both seem to have a strong sense of self-identity.
Agreed.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
If you lived in San Antonio you'd know that it's not overshadowed by any cities in TX. You never hear about Dallas or Houston in San Antonio. It feels like those cities are in a different state all together. You will hear about Austin,Corpus,South Padre before Houston or Dallas. It feels like Houston and Dallas just "happen to be" in the same state.

To me Texas is like 4 different states in 1.
Maybe in SA they don't care, but that wasn't what I was saying. I was talking about Texas in general. My dad lives in SA, and has for 35 years. I have spent a LOT of time there. Obviously you're going to hear a lot more about Austin because it's right up the road, but I heard enough talk around town about Houston and Dallas as well. Like I said, I personally prefer San Antonio over any other city in TX. It's just that the rest of the state seems to be more fixated upon Houston, Dallas, and Austin.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
San Antonio attracts 30 million visitors annually and one of the most visited cities in North America. I don't think its overshadowed at all in Texas. It also seems to be more and more in the national spotlight.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
"It also seems to be more and more in the national spotlight."

Really? I never hear about sa in Denver! Not ever! Except when the spurs come to town!!!!! I don't think it is a national spotlight type of city! The other big 3 are Far More in the spotlight than sa.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM

233 posts, read 373,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
CITY-DATA phenomenon - the higher the "user reputation" the less reputable the post will be! More to come...

Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post

Really? I never hear about sa in Denver! Not ever! Except when the spurs come to town!!!!! I don't think it is a national spotlight type of city! The other big 3 are Far More in the spotlight than sa.
Yeah, I'm not seeing/hearing it either up here in the Northwest... though I constantly seem to hear about the other 3. Too much, in fact. I think a couple of SA posters on this thread misinterpreted my original post as a slight on SA, and completely ignored the part where I said it's my favorite city in Texas. I personally think it's to San Antonio's merit that it's the only big city in Texas that doesn't constantly toot it's own horn and scream out for attention. It's a unique city in that state, in that it seems to have a much stronger and more well-preserved sense of identity and local culture than H, D, or A. Just because your city isn't constantly in the national spotlight, doesn't mean it isn't a great place.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:

But how many cities do you actually hear about here? I rarely if ever hear about Chicago, Boston, Philly, Miami, etc (plenty of big cities) in Denver, but they're still very well know.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:

6 NBA finals Televised internationally. Then the city hosts several major sporting events annually that are televised on national tv. The Alamo Bowl, Army All America Bowl, and a couple other major sporting events. Then all the best city lists that come out all the time, S.A. Always seems to get a mention, sometimes ranked favorably, sometimes, not.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
6 NBA finals Televised internationally. Then the city hosts several major sporting events annually that are televised on national tv. The Alamo Bowl, Army All America Bowl, and a couple other major sporting events. Then all the best city lists that come out all the time, S.A. Always seems to get a mention, sometimes ranked favorably, sometimes, not.
The spurs might make it back to the NBA championship next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City