Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of city is more damaging to the environment?
Dense Cities 7 15.91%
Sprawl Cities 37 84.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's all relative. You have several cities in your region with bombed out dead zones at their core at levels unheard of in the sunbelt, surrounded by huge suburban sprawl suburbs.

Which is worse?

I quite like my cities core
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I feel the same way about mine.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So do I, its all a matter of preference. Some enjoy areas that are car dependant and sprawled and some do not.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
So do I, its all a matter of preference. Some enjoy areas that are car dependant and sprawled and some do not.
We were talking about the respective cities core areas, not the suburbs.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
This is a no-brainer.

Sprawl enables single family homes, which take up much more land that could otherwise be used for farming or other uses. It also enables a car culture, and cars are the worst in terms of efficiency of transportation (I mean you could carpool but honestly, 99% of all cars I see on the road stuck in traffic have 1 occupant, or 1 adult and some kids). Sprawl also requires more infrastructure per capita (more roads, more sanitation, more sewers, water mains, more electric grids, more parking lots, etc.), which just adds to the issue I raised earlier.

If people hadn't spread out after WWII then we'd likely see more people living in dense urban centers, commuting to work in trains, or buses, and living in highrises. We wouldn't have smog issues like we have today. We wouldn't have to put up with the suburbanites requiring their goddamn HUGE SUVs getting 2 mpg and making them seriously overweight in the process of driving everywhere.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This is a no-brainer.

Sprawl enables single family homes, which take up much more land that could otherwise be used for farming or other uses. It also enables a car culture, and cars are the worst in terms of efficiency of transportation (I mean you could carpool but honestly, 99% of all cars I see on the road stuck in traffic have 1 occupant, or 1 adult and some kids). Sprawl also requires more infrastructure per capita (more roads, more sanitation, more sewers, water mains, more electric grids, more parking lots, etc.), which just adds to the issue I raised earlier.

If people hadn't spread out after WWII then we'd likely see more people living in dense urban centers, commuting to work in trains, or buses, and living in highrises. We wouldn't have smog issues like we have today. We wouldn't have to put up with the suburbanites requiring their goddamn HUGE SUVs getting 2 mpg and making them seriously overweight in the process of driving everywhere.
Not that I'm saying what you are saying is wrong, but have you ever heard of the London Fog?

Pea soup fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,735 times
Northern Density of course

Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 AM

245 posts, read 215,229 times
Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This is a no-brainer.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM

293 posts, read 900,436 times
Sprawl easily does more damage. Plus density is much more desirable than urban sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City