Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
oh, but there are similaraities in food. the way vegatbles are cooked (with pork as seasoning) is constant throughout the south. methods of bread and frying meats. certain items like hushpuppies, grits, cobblers, country fried steak, buscuits, pimento cheese, cornbread, etc...

now there are small subregions, (like south carolina low country and south lousiana) that have unique dishes, but for a huge swath of land across the south it is all quite similar, with some regional variations. even low country food has lots of similarites to the more "generic" southern food youd find in tennessee.

new orleans is kind of an exception, with that brooklynish thing going on. but for the most part, southern dialects are quite similar.

as ive stated earlier, the word fine becomes "fahne", thing "thang", etc.
the main thing that varies is the pronunciation of the "r" sound. but still, there are similarites across most southern accents, similarly in food.

how so. not sure what behaviors and traditions you are talking about.

this is mkore where subregions come in. obviously, all of the south was historically agrarian and reliant on slave labor. over time, some towns have gained industry though.

sure they vary in appearance. once again, im not trying to say its monolithic. what im trying to say is that there are many things that link the south together as a greater culture region.

andother would be religion (bible belt, baptists). but i think you get the point

Not to be facetious, but I nor any of my family from Alabama season our vegtables with pork and most of my friends don't eat pork... and soul food can be found anywhere from Miami to NY... yes a lot of people do eat flavorful and fried foods.

Here's food for thought...
A lot of what you said can be said about the midwest since they had a lot of transplants there during the great migration from the south. Their accents, and foods are now similar to what you describe so are they now southern because of that?

As far as accents there is the low country (Savannah), atlanta, alabama, lousisana, texas, tennessee, and appalachian accents, and there are more. they are all different. The closest thing I heard to an Atlanta accent is Chicago... I guess the CHi is a southern city too... yeah a lot of people in the midwest have southern accents too...

"the word fine becomes "fahne", thing "thang", etc.
the main thing that varies is the pronunciation of the "r" sound."

Well most people don't talk like that here in Atlanta. I don't talk like that nor do most people here in Atlanta.

YouTube - Hot 97 - Angie Martinez Interviews Usher

"all of the south was historically agrarian"

Wrong again... most of the south, yes. Atlanta wasn't initally agrarian... it was built because of the railroad.... it was named after the railroad... it grew off the railraod. Atlanta was more similar to west rail towns then towns that thrived off farming. And if you live here you'll know why. The soil is horrible. We don't have black dirt we have red clay. That's why Savannah was settled and the frontier of the west was being explored centuries before Atlanta was built. With new technology people can manage farms better, but it's still rough soil in the piedmont.

"there are many things that link the south together as a greater culture region"

Yeah histroy, demograhics, and location... culturaly there is a lot of movement and the south is large and diverse

that's a good point... religion is strong but I think America in generally very religious and a lot of rural areas are conservative while major cities like Miami, Dallas, Atlanta are liberal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
A lot of what you said can be said about the midwest since they had a lot of transplants there during the great migration from the south. Their accents, and foods are now similar to what you describe so are they now southern because of that?
When you talk about Black transplants to those cities, that puts something of a different twist on it because usually the soul food restaurants you find in the Midwest are owned/operated by Black folks. But I don't find their accents Southern at all.

Another thing that's worth mentioning here is that there's always been an urban version of the South and a rural version.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
The rural areas of the midwest have a stronger southern accent than here in Atlanta...
as far as the cities the first clip I pulled up that's show's Chicago's southern accent... it's too easy...

YouTube - don,t snitch , i will die before i tell in chicago

As far a rural and city versions, I don't know for sure, but I think major cities represent the New South a lot more than the rural areas. Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and a lot of other big cities transcend the general sterotypes about the south and they are the best examples of the diveristy, economy, and culture that is the New South....

Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
The food in New Orleans, hard to beat!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:07 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,396 times
Quote:
Not to be facetious, but I nor any of my family from Alabama season our vegtables with pork and most of my friends don't eat pork... and soul food can be found anywhere from Miami to NY... yes a lot of people do eat flavorful and fried foods.
the sould food found in places like new york got there when southern blacks moved north.
as far as no vegatables in alabama being seasoned with pork, im sure we can find quite a few alabamans that would say otherwiise to that. in fact ive eaten in restaurants that would prove otherwise.
Quote:
well thats only in the black neighborhoods of the industrial cities that southern blakcs moved to. but yes, the neighborhoods they moved to initially were southern, although much of that has blended and isnt really true anymore.
Quote:
As far as accents there is the low country (Savannah), atlanta, alabama, lousisana, texas, tennessee, and appalachian accents, and there are more. they are all different. The closest thing I heard to an Atlanta accent is Chicago... I guess the CHi is a southern city too... yeah a lot of people in the midwest have southern accents too...
no, atlanta's accent didnt used to sound that why. thats kind of the point. the fact that atlanta's accent sounds like chicago shows how northern the culture of the city has became.
Quote:
"the word fine becomes "fahne", thing "thang", etc.
the main thing that varies is the pronunciation of the "r" sound."

Well most people don't talk like that here in Atlanta. I don't talk like that nor do most people here in Atlanta.
right, thats my point once again. why dont you drive around georgia a bit and then get back to me.
Quote:
"all of the south was historically agrarian"
Wrong again... most of the south, yes. Atlanta wasn't initally agrarian... it was built because of the railroad.... it was named after the railroad... it grew off the railraod. Atlanta was more similar to west rail towns then towns that thrived off farming. And if you live here you'll know why. The soil is horrible. We don't have black dirt we have red clay. That's why Savannah was settled and the frontier of the west was being explored centuries before Atlanta was built. With new technology people can manage farms better, but it's still rough soil in the piedmont.
atlanta was nothing until reconstruction (after slavery had been abolished). well you got one thing right, the railroads made that city what it is. but prior to becoming a boomtown, the area that now makes up metro atlanta was agrarian and reliant on slave production of crops along with the rest of the piedmont.
Quote:
"there are many things that link the south together as a greater culture region"

Yeah histroy, demograhics, and location... culturaly there is a lot of movement and the south is large and diverse

that's a good point... religion is strong but I think America in generally very religious and a lot of rural areas are conservative while major cities like Miami, Dallas, Atlanta are liberal
when i said religion, i was refering to the fact that the south has a large baptist (and other protestant, presence).

but the south is a culture region. places like atlanta, miami, ect. are moving away from being a part of it because of all the transplants changing the culture. the fact that you claim to have never heard southern accents or witnessed vegetables seasoned with pork is a testament to that.

i can see why youd feel this way. atlanta has become genericized, yet it is supposed to be the heart of the south. it is certianly is in the southern region, but sounds like at least where you live isnt southern culturally.

maybe skim through this to get some idea what im talking about

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Chiatl you keep bringing up these YouTube videos.. Your tremendously going out of your way to prove a point.. You battling with everyone on here.

You keep using wikipedia well there's one thing u forgot to look up on there, don't worry I'll do it for u.

Southern culture
Actually I know about that link, it's not fully sourced, and it's basicly an opinion, but even it dosen't say the south is monolithic. It goes through southern states and point out diffrences. It talkes about Cajun French, Gullah, Ozark and etc. Yes I do post a lot of links and videos they work cohesively and support every I say. Posters can keep comming with monolithic southern crap from ignorance and I just come back with some sources.

And this thread is about diffrence what city do you feel has the best version of southern culture?” anyone trying to prove similarities are off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
im actually familair with henry grady. what he was talking about with a "new south" had to do more with that he believed the south, during reconstruction, should take on other industries besides its traditional farming ways, and should utilize a railroad system. during this time we saw the rise of atlanta and birmingham. this had nothing to do with a demographic shift, but an economic one.

and yea, im aware that there are subcultures in the south, and ones that may seem not to fit well with the rest, the gullah along the atlantic coast, and the cajuns and creoles in south louisiana. but those are really the exceptions to the rule. there is a huge swath of land accross the south that shares dialectual, religious, and culinary similarities. you must be able to see this. do you want me to provide some clips too?
I said Grady coin the term, now if you look at the link I posted the modern usage of the term New South is the southern cities that are cosmopolitan or becoming so.

Now your 2nd post is funny because I could had swear Creole, Gullah and etc are ethnic groups not a sub culture of your perceive monolithic south. And call me stupid but creole culture has a strong influence in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi, Latino culture has strong presence and Texas and Florida. Besides the Gullah in the low country of SC and GA. The black belt region cut throw central NC, to central GA, to part of East texas which are not the same heritage as of Appalachia, which is culturally different from the Mississippi delta which is culturally different the Ozark region. Now the only thing left is the upper south, well that the south. Not monolithic Sorry.

And this thread is about diffrence what city do you feel has the best version of southern culture?” anyone trying to prove similarities are off topic.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I said Grady coin the term, now if you look at the link I posted the modern usage of the term New South is the southern cities that are cosmopolitan or becoming so.

Now your 2nd post is funny because I could had swear Creole, Gullah and etc are ethnic groups not a sub culture of your perceive monolithic south. And call me stupid but creole culture has a strong influence in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi, Latino culture has strong presence and Texas and Florida. Besides the Gullah in the low country of SC and GA. The black belt region cut throw central NC, to central GA, to part of East texas which are not the same heritage as of Appalachia, which is culturally different from the Mississippi delta which is culturally different the Ozark region. Now the only thing left is the upper south, well that the south. Not monolithic Sorry.

i dont believe in a monolithic south. all im trying to explain to you is that there are certain similarites that the majority of the south shares. all those things i was talking about, dialects, foods, etc. are found in most of the south. the gullah and south lousiana are exceptions. im not saying that middle tennessee and south alabama are the same, im simply saying they have cultural similarities not found outside of the south. and those similarities they share are found in most of the south.

as far as relevance, your first post is exactly what im debating, read it again.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:23 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
The rural areas of the midwest have a stronger southern accent than here in Atlanta...
as far as the cities the first clip I pulled up that's show's Chicago's southern accent... it's too easy...

YouTube - don,t snitch , i will die before i tell in chicago

As far a rural and city versions, I don't know for sure, but I think major cities represent the New South a lot more than the rural areas. Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and a lot of other big cities transcend the general sterotypes about the south and they are the best examples of the diveristy, economy, and culture that is the New South....
Don't argue with JimmyJohnWilson there many flaws he said that I want to address but he off topic. Poster actually Suppose to be taking about the diversity southern cities, and what southern city culture do they feel is the best.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Don't argue with JimmyJohnWilson there many flaws he said that I want to address but he off topic. Poster actually Suppose to be taking about the diversity southern cities, and what southern city culture do they feel is the best.
actually if you read your first post youll find that im not off topic, as im responding to everything written except the last sentence.

but obviously this is an interesting topic sparked, why not just go with it? if my arguments are flawed, address them. im not so stubborn that i cant be convinced

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM

324 posts, read 659,376 times
Quote:
Actually I know about that link, it's not fully sourced, and it's basicly an opinion, but even it dosen't say the south is monolithic. It goes through southern states and point out diffrences. It talkes about Cajun French, Gullah, Ozark and etc. Yes I do post a lot of links and videos they work cohesively and support every I say. Posters can keep comming with monolithic southern crap from ignorance and I just come back with some sources.

Now your 2nd post is funny because I could had swear Creole, Gullah and etc are ethnic groups not a sub culture of your perceive monolithic south. And call me stupid but creole culture has a strong influence in Texas, Louisiana and
Mississippi, Latino culture has strong presence and Texas and Florida. Besides
the Gullah in the low country of SC and GA. The black belt region cut throw
central NC, to central GA, to part of East texas which are not the same
heritage as of Appalachia, which is culturally different from the Mississippi delta
which is culturally different the Ozark region. Now the only thing left is the
upper south, well that the south. Not monolithic

I'm focused in the dominate culture and that's Latin.. Which is not a southern culture.. Everthing else is falls behind that culture. White Americans and African Americans are like a minority in Miami.. There are to many foriegn born residents in Miami to say the culturally the city is southern in that nature.. Yes there is southern traits in overtown carol city, liberty city, etc that's where you going to did the southerness.. Outside of that No Sir..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City