Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm sure our national security is still there but having an entire base shut down because of a couple inches of snow still makes me feel uncomfortable.
Understandable. But you have to realize that they are not use to the snow that much. But this wasn't about 2-4 inches. This was about 24-30 inches on a Friday Night and another 12-18 inches the next Wednesday. That would shut down New York , Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Any city would shut down if they've been it back-to-back with 2ft+ snowstorms, even NYC.
A little known fact: NYC's biggest snowstorm was 26.9 inches. DC, Baltimore, Philly and Boston all have higher records for a single strorm.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Are you serious! Nobody cares what New Yorkers think, if they did they would have asked you!
New Yorkers opinion are very important.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 04-26-2010 at 02:09 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Understandable. But you have to realize that they are not use to the snow that much. But this wasn't about 2-4 inches. This was about 24-30 inches on a Friday Night and another 12-18 inches the next Wednesday. That would shut down New York , Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, whatever.
When I was there, it was only 2-4 inches and they shut everything down. I'm not talking about this past year where they got the big storms. I was under the impression that it snowed down there a few times a year so I thought they would be able to handle a couple inches.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
No it's not.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
I started reading the article and got to the third paragraph and read where Eliot Engel called them wimps and talks about counting on one hand the number of times they closed the schools.

I used to live about 10 doors down from Engel and can remember quite a few times back then, 70's and early 80's, when the schools were closed. Unless he has had a bunch more kids since then I would think his kids are out of school by now.

I am also wondering what the point was behind pulling up a 2 month old article and starting a thread on it.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Tokyo is a worthless city in the 3rd world when compared to the greatness that is New York City.

When it comes to power influence and wealth (the only thong that matters). NYC reigns supreme and frankly you should never question this.

Just listen to NYC's advise, shake your head in agreement and keep your trap shut.
While I think you have a mouth problem, you are speaking truth. Coming from Moscow myself, New York and DC are the only two cities anybody outside of America cares what is thought. In DC, they were being whimps, but so a lot of cities have been whimps. I bet Syracuse would call New York City whimps for closing school at all, because I heard Syracuse will keep school open even when 2 feet snows.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Coming from Moscow myself, New York and DC are the only two cities anybody outside of America cares what is thought.
LOL, that's what I try to tell people here. Outside of North America, most U.S. cities are just not that important or known to people. That's a bitter pill for some to swallow, but traveling to foreign countries proves this.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
To themselves, perhaps.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This.

There's really nothing else that needs to be said. I grew up in Ohio, and we had some nasty weather during my 25 years there, but I never witnessed a winter with as much precipitation as what DC received this year. I've never stepped outside my front door and immediately plunged into snow that went above my knees. The back-to-back 18" blizzards that DC got hit with in February would have crippled just about any city.

Why some NYers feel that this is something worth discussing, I have no idea. You'd think there would be more going on up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City