Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Little Italy / Italian Neighborhood in US
The North End: Boston 57 26.03%
Little Italy: New York 47 21.46%
Little Italy: Chicago 12 5.48%
South Philly: Philadelphia 32 14.61%
Federal Hill: Providence 7 3.20%
Little Italy: Baltimore 4 1.83%
The Hill: St. Louis 18 8.22%
Little Italy: Cleveland 17 7.76%
North Beach: San Francisco 21 9.59%
Little Italy: Wilmington, DE 4 1.83%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Boston area but live in New York City. My family just came down and we had an Italian lunch in Little Italy. I think my Dad put it best when he said that "Little Italy looks more like a set up for the tourists whereas Boston's North End is an actual neighborhood."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
New York is my vote.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM

541 posts, read 912,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I'm from the Boston area but live in New York City. My family just came down and we had an Italian lunch in Little Italy. I think my Dad put it best when he said that "Little Italy looks more like a set up for the tourists whereas Boston's North End is an actual neighborhood."

He would be right.

Little Italy in Manhattan has to showcase itself and live up to something. Showboat if you will.

Thats robs a lot of the "authenticity" of it.

Ive had far better offerings nowhere near it. Its the Olive Garden of Little Italys.

Cities upstate with big historic Italian populations like Utica, Rome, Syracuse and Schentectady still have nearly 80-100 year old businesses going strong, same recipes, no BS. Youll find better Italian there than a lot of places in NYC/NJ.

Chicken Riggies kicks the **** outta most pasta dishes anywhere in the tri-state area, but because its not in NYC, it doesnt "exist."

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Both are inauthentic. I don't see how one isn't set up for tourists. You really think there are immigrants from Italy in Boston's North End?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Cake Boss

Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,022 times
Little Italy does not even exist anymore in NYC, its a tourist extension of Chinatown. The best Italian neighborhood in NYC is Arthur Ave. in the Bronx, you know, where there are actual Italians.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Does Chicago even have a Little Italy anymore? or has everything just been relegated to the suburbs?
Technically it still exists, but there are only a few Italian restaurants scattered on Taylor street mixed in with Thai, Japanese, Chinese, French, and American restaurants in which the neighborhood feels more like a University City or other neighborhood with a college nearby. The corner of Polk and Carpenter has two hero/hoagie-type joints, but with an Asian market just down the street. There is a Catholic Church and Christopher Columbus statue in one small park, along with a Garibaldi monument and park on the neighborhood's western end near the medical center. But that's basically all of "Little Italy" in Chicago. I don't know why its ranked higher than Baltimore in this poll, which although has a smaller area than Chicago, has more to offer, and the narrower streets/rowhouses and Bocce Ball court give it a more Italian-like feel, plus its near the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, and Fells Point and being in a more compact city makes it more fun to walk.

IMO this should be the rankings:

1. Boston
2. Italian Market, Philly
3. Arthur Avenue/Bronx
4. Baltimore
5. North Beach
6. Mulberry Street
7. Federal Hill
8. Cleveland
9. St. Louis
10. San Diego
11. Wilmington, DE
12. Chicago
13. Kansas City (in history only)

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Little Italy does not even exist anymore in NYC, its a tourist extension of Chinatown. The best Italian neighborhood in NYC is Arthur Ave. in the Bronx, you know, where there are actual Italians.
Though there aren't a huge number of Italians living in Arthur Ave. these days. Most are in the East Bronx.

And Little Italy isn't really an extension of Chinatown; it's that it no longer has many Italians, and now the same thing is happening to Chinatown as the Soho-ization of the Lower East Side continues.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Both are inauthentic. I don't see how one isn't set up for tourists. You really think there are immigrants from Italy in Boston's North End?
I read an article about the North End fairly recently and they claimed of the 10,000 people living in the neighborhood about 30 percent were Italian-Americans. It's very touristy and gentrified, but it feels like an old Italian-American neighborhood that just got gentrified over the last 30 years. It still feels somewhat charming when you walk around the side streets in part due to the old architecture and gives at least the semblance of the heritage of the old neighborhood and what's left.

Little Italy in New York is basically the island of Mulberry Street in a sea of Chinatown(and then the hipsters/yuppies of Nolita to the north). I mean they don't even have any adjacent blocks for the most part anymore, it's that one strip. Of Little Italy itself only about 5 percent of the people have any Italian heritage. The Feast of San Gennaro is fun(the foulmouthed Joe Pesci-soundalike clown at the dunk tank was amusing).

Honestly, though in most cities the best Italian food is rarely in the touristy Little Italy places almost anywhere in the US. It's often over-priced, "Italian-American-style" food or red sauce joints(which can be fun though often completely mediocre). I can find places for great Italian food made by more recently transplanted Italians(making real regional Italian food) in cities that have no "Little Italy" or never had a large historical Italian population. It's not really that obscure a cuisine in US cities--hell, it's not really that hard to make yourself(there's not really many hard-to-find ingredients unlike some Asian cuisines)...

Last edited by Deezus; 07-22-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
ILittle Italy in New York is basically the island of Mulberry Street in a sea of Chinatown(and then the hipsters/yuppies of Nolita to the north.
But you mean Little Italy in Lower Manhattan. There are like 10 Little Italys within 20 miles or so of Times Square. There are two in Manhattan, two in the Bronx, three in Brooklyn, one in Queens, and much of Staten Island is "Staten Italy". Then there are Little Italys in about half-a-dozen North Jersey communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City