Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could the USA make it without California and New York City?
Yes 124 67.39%
No 60 32.61%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

389 posts, read 776,810 times

Advertisements

Honey you have no idea. Unless you're growin' your food yourself, you don't know exactly where the hell it's comin' from.

Ya know them little grocery stores you go to to get your fruit & meat? All raised & sold by some tired hard-workin' rough-handed farmer out there who's considered by many people much like what you're proving to be so far as no one special.

Oh, & by the way, where's that apparently long vitle list of killers & robbers from Wyoming who've invaded your sweet California that I've been so anxious to see?

Jessie

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,181 times
My point is we have thousands of farmers in California, thats where I get my produce. Our meat and foul come from California as well, I prefer to support state run operations vs out of state whenever possible. This is not a slight on farmers out of CA, but I would belive most Californian's try to do the same.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Honey you have no idea. Unless you're growin' your food yourself, you don't know exactly where the hell it's comin' from.

Ya know them little grocery stores you go to to get your fruit & meat? All raised & sold by some tired hard-workin' rough-handed farmer out there who's considered by many people much like what you're proving to be so far as no one special.

Oh, & by the way, where's that apparently long vitle list of killers & robbers from Wyoming who've invaded your sweet California that I've been so anxious to see?

Jessie
With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. You might want to look closely on the labels of the food you buy each week, especially the fresh fruit\ vegetables\ nuts, etc. You will see to your surprise that the overwhelming majority of that food is from California. If you don't believe me just do a Google search. Whatever your opinion of California, the nation would suffer tremendously without the food produced in the state, especially a place like Wyoming.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
It seems to me that people are under the impression that nobody will pull up the slack if something happens to NY and especially CA. Get over yourselves, we will take a hit, we'll regroup, and we'll adapt.
Of all the things grown and california, what are the things that can only be grown there. I'm most of does not make up the basics of the American diet. Some nuts, potatoes, corn, citrus, strawberries, beef, pork, seafood, etc. can all be grown/raised somewhere else.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM

um ... & all do respect, but I spend 6 out of 7 days a week in the fields growing my own food. I ain't some lazy ass piece of sh*t relying on a store to get my stuff. The 7th day of my week is in town buyin' more cultivation products & such. 'matter of fact, that's today.

OK, I didn't say that there's no farmers in California. I said that most of California is Urban, therefore a lot of it relies on the wrest of rural America to get it's food. I clearly said before that much of northern California grows fruits & what not. They have good land, why the hell not? All I'm sayin' is in response to this question: Can the US make it without New York & California, I said absolutely. We don't NEED California & New York. They really don't bring much more than media to the table.

I have not the slightest clue why it hits me hard & personal when someone says that they're more important than me because I live in a "fly over state" like Wyoming. It's not that I think I'm better. I just don't think California & New York is better just because they've got the movie stars & big buildings & city lights.

Yes I do know what I'm talking about. I try to drill it through people's head that we up here ain't just no ones, but the more I do that the more defencive people get of the "Superficial way of life."

Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
um ... & all do respect, but I spend 6 out of 7 days a week in the fields growing my own food. I ain't some lazy ass piece of sh*t relying on a store to get my stuff. The 7th day of my week is in town buyin' more cultivation products & such. 'matter of fact, that's today.

OK, I didn't say that there's no farmers in California. I said that most of California is Urban, therefore a lot of it relies on the wrest of rural America to get it's food. I clearly said before that much of northern California grows fruits & what not. They have good land, why the hell not? All I'm sayin' is in response to this question: Can the US make it without New York & California, I said absolutely. We don't NEED California & New York. They really don't bring much more than media to the table.

I have not the slightest clue why it hits me hard & personal when someone says that they're more important than me because I live in a "fly over state" like Wyoming. It's not that I think I'm better. I just don't think California & New York is better just because they've got the movie stars & big buildings & city lights.

Yes I do know what I'm talking about. I try to drill it through people's head that we up here ain't just no ones, but the more I do that the more defencive people get of the "Superficial way of life."

The overwhelming majority of California is not urban

Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
California is the breadbasket of the country, I don't recall what I have eaten that was grown out of state other than Cranberries(Oregon), Potatoes(Oregon)
California is possibly the fruit basket, but bread basket? Most of your grain production comes out of the Midwest.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Yes it is mostly urban. All but some towns here & there in Northern & central California. Yes there are a few very spread out in Southern California, but again, they're very spread out & far between.

I've been all around California in my trusty saddle on the back of my horse (much like most of the other states.) 2 can play @ this game, but only 1 can win. & so far you haven't told me that you've taken any of your sweet time to travel around hickish unimportant Wyoming on horseback, & you still haven't shown me which criminals we put on your guys's backs.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
It appears some people are just talking out their ass with no type of idea of how the US economy works.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
The overwhelming majority of California is not urban
Are you talking about land mass or population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City